Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

We've Come to An Intersection
Some intersections provide multiple options. Others bring you to a stop and force you to make a choice. You have to choose. You have to decide which route you will take. An apostolic epoch, like the Reformation and other significant seismic moments in church history, force a choice. This is not change inside the current paradigm. It requires one to step outside that paradigm.
Pastors have a difficult choice to make. They can retain the model of laity as passive, as non-involved, as inferior in terms of authority and training, as supporters of the pastor and his staff as they do critical ministry. Or they can choose to empower laity as partners, as mutual, and as equippers for mission. Partnership does not mean mutuality of all things. Office distinctions and roles must be observed, but stiff hierarchical and class structures are not the pattern observed in the New Testament. The current model is safer for pastors who retain control, and less demanding of laity who are fine with someone else shouldering the load – but it is not working.
The current model of catch-and-hold, must give way to a catch-and-equip-and-release model. We need a model that empowers believers and releases them for ministry. Missional ministry happens in the context of daily life, in the home, the neighborhood, the marketplace, the web of relationships. It happens with people we most often see and those who we regard as most important to us. An ‘as-you-see-and-touch-them’ ministry model must emerge, not contrived, but natural, an overflow of the inner life. And if that inner life is dry, due to the lack of prayer and a deficient devotional life typical in the modern Christian, there will be no overflow, no natural ‘good news’ moments by members to their friends and family.
This mandates a shift from Sunday religion.
The New Apostolic Epoch
This blog is an excerpt of Doug’s new book, The New Apostolic Epoch: God’s Determination to Have a Praying and Missional People.
PROJECT PRAY | PO Box 1245, Kannapolis, NC 28082

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Remnant

There are two groups in every church, a third entering the church looking for God, and hopefully a holy fourth. The first group is often as straight as an arrow. They are morally upright. They don't use bad language, they don't frequent worldly establishments. They usually live impeccably moral lives. But they exhibit little joy. They are often secretly angry and bitter. They see themselves as the faithful guardians of the flame. They have trimmed back the carnal edges of worldliness. They have conformed to whatever standards were necessary for them to qualify as members of the church and gain admission to the inner circle of the righteous. Sadly, they are lifeless. Clean outside, they are dead inside.

The second group clings to God's love and grace. They barely keep their heads above the water. They assume the forgiveness of God. They live as close to the edge of the world as they can, and still claim to be a Christian. They love the world - the sports, the fashions, the shows, the dazzle, the toys, the money, the power, the latest and the best, the hottest and the newest. But they can barely manage a conversation about Biblical notions - nor do they typically want to do so. Before they are in the parking lot, they talking about what happened before church or what will happen afterwards. The grace that was meant to transform is instead exploited by them. They keep their immorality under the radar screen. They avoid scandal. But they are not about to live with the rules of the first group. They want to be Christians, but also be free from any significant restriction - legalism, as they would call it. Sadly, they have freed themselves from any radical call to abandon worldliness and wholly follow Christ. They violate the standards of righteousness, but in subtle unobvious ways, so as to avoid public embarrassment. They deceive even themselves. They flirt with sin. They have embraced a sloppy-agape. They resist the constraining power of God's love to live lives that are morally pure and upright.

Continue reading>

Presidents and Prayer – George Washington

Over the next several weeks we will examine our American heritage as it relates to prayer in regards to the leaders of our great country, beginning with George Washington.

In 1794, after the Whiskey Rebellion, President George Washington declared a Day of Prayer. The practice of prayer “…was indispensable in coalescing the country into a unified force. Prayer was used by the Founding Fathers as a tool of union to bring together the widely disparate colonies, communities, and churches.”[1] In the first half of the century, the first catalyzing national movement had brought them together – the First Great Awakening. As a result, the most recognizable man in the colonies was not Washington or Jefferson, Franklin, Madison or Adams. It was the preacher, George Whitfield. And it was preachers who were the fire-brands of the revolution, hated by the British, their churches often the brunt of cruel revenge. Protestant Christian pulpits in the 1700s were the media outlets of their day. They came to be called the ‘black robe regiment.’

In his Farewell Address of September 1796, Washington called religion, and by that, he meant Christianity, “a necessary spring of popular government.” He would say, “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.” Perhaps in response to the devastating consequences of what had happened in France, he would note, “… reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.” In a letter dated August 20, 1778 and addressed to Brigadier General Thomas Nelson he wrote, “The Hand of Providence has been so conspicuous in all this, that he must be worse than an infidel that lacks faith, and more than wicked, that has not gratitude enough to acknowledge his obligations.”[2] John Adams, the second President went further, saying, “Religion [Christianity] and Morality alone … can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand.”[3] George Washington’s Prayer Journal reflects his faith:

O eternal and everlasting God, I presume to present myself this morning before thy Divine majesty, beseeching thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks, that it hath pleased thy great goodness to keep and preserve me the night past from all the dangers poor mortals are subject to, and has given me sweet and pleasant sleep, whereby I find my body refreshed and comforted for performing the duties of this day, in which I beseech thee to defend me from all perils of body and soul.

Direct my thoughts, words and work. Wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the lamb, and purge my heart by thy Holy Spirit, from the dross of my natural corruption, that I may with more freedom of mind and liberty of will serve thee, the everlasting God, in righteousness and holiness this day, and all the days of my life.

Increase my faith in the sweet promises of the Gospel. Give me repentance from dead works. Pardon my wanderings, & direct my thoughts unto thyself, the God of my salvation. Teach me how to live in thy fear, labor in thy service, and ever to run in the ways of thy commandments. Make me always watchful over my heart, that neither the terrors of conscience, the loathing of holy duties, the love of sin, nor an unwillingness to depart this life, may cast me into a spiritual slumber. But daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy son Jesus Christ, that living in thy fear, and dying in thy favor, I may in thy appointed time attain the resurrection of the just unto eternal life. Bless my family, friends & kindred unite us all in praising & glorifying thee in all our works begun, continued, and ended, when we shall come to make our last account before thee blessed Saviour, who hath taught us thus to pray, our Father.[4]

In another entry, Washington writes,

We cannot cease, but must cry unto thee for mercy, because my sins cry against me for justice … I must with the publican stand and admire at thy great goodness, tender mercy, and long suffering towards me … O, blessed father, let thy son’s blood wash me from all impurities, and cleanse me from the stains of sin … Embrace me in the arms of thy mercy … shadow me with thy wings … into thy hands I commend myself, both soul and body, in the name of thy son, Jesus Christ …[5]

Washington spoke of “Almighty God’ the ‘most merciful father.’ Recalling the pattern of the children of Israel who offered a daily sacrifice, he prayed, “Receive, O Lord, my morning sacrifice …” He recounted in the prayer how God had preserved him from the danger and comforted him. “Let my heart, therefore, Gracious God, be so affected with the glory and majesty of it, that I may not do mine own works, but wait on thee, and discharge those weighty duties thou requirest of me … since thou art a God of pure eyes, and wilt be sanctified in all who draw near unto thee …” Washington noted that God did not “regard the sacrifice of fools, nor hear sinners” and he prayed, “I beseech thee, my sins, remove them from thy presence …” And this request for pardon Washington tied to “the merits of thy son Jesus Christ.” He likened his prayers “as incense” – his knowledge of Scripture was certainly less than superficial. He prayed that as he read the Bible that God would give him ‘grace’ and that it would be “wisdom, righteousness, reconciliation and peace to the saving of the soul in the day of the Lord Jesus.” He prayed that he would hear its words “with reverence, receive it with meekness, mingle it with faith” and that it might “accomplish … the good work for which thou has sent it.” He requested the blessing of God on his family, kindred, friends and his country, and prayer that God would guide him through the day and forever. This is not the prayer of a deist.[6]

The first President, a General – also kept a daily prayer journal!

“Almighty and eternal Lord God, the great Creator of heaven and earth, and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ; look down from heaven in pity and compassion upon me, Thy servant, who humbly prostrate myself before Thee.” This was his prayer at Valley Forge.

• This teaching will be included in the upcoming The Praying Church Handbook – Volume IV – Intercessory Prayer and Missions. Purchase the 4 volume set at:www.alivepublications.org.

• Current product special: Purchase The Principles of Worship: A Study of the Tabernacle of Moses Book and receive the CD set or DVD set for FREE!

[1] Ibid, 51.

[2] “George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress, 1741-1799: Series 3h Varick Transcripts,” Letterbook 1, Images 135-138. See – http://christian76.com/george-washington/

[3] http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Adams.

[4] William J. Johnson, George Washington, The Christian (New York: The Abingdon Press, 1919). See also: http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/PrayerAndCounseling/Intercession/w...

[5] Ibid.

[6] William J. Johnson, George Washington, The Christian (New York: The Abingdon Press, 1919).

Wrapped in Righteousness
Paul declared, "Not by works of righteousness that we have done, but according to his mercy, he saved us" (Titus 3:5). We are not saved - by good works. Nothing you do can save you. Our righteousness, our best efforts are like "filthy rags" (Isa. 64:6). We have both an overblown sense of our goodness and a diminished sense of God's holiness. As a result, we do not see ourselves in desperate need of the grace of God. And increasingly, our generation sees Jesus as a sinner who could not have lived a sinless life - "After all, no one is perfect!" Our cynicism has taken us hostage. It has blurred and distorted our view of God, himself. We have traded the "perfect Christ" for a model of the severely flawed Greek gods with Jesus as just another option in the pantheon of gods. As a result, we end up with a divine view of mankind, and gods who are like us, and therefore are no help to us at all.

According to Scripture, you and I are not saved because we are good. We are saved because God is good. You may be surprised to learn that goodness is not the goal. Christ did not come to make men better. He came to make men new (II Cor. 5:17). You and I did not need a patch on our lives - we needed radical life change. We deserved to die. So Christ came, not to enrich our lives, but to endour lives (Mk. 8:3410:21; Lk. 9:23; Gal. 2:20). This is what baptism is all about. It is the burial of the old man, the old life, and the resurrection to new life (Rom. 6:4).

Continue reading>  

Conference Update Header         
In this Issue

Quick Links

September 6

September 11
Prayer for America 

September 23
See You at the Pole 

September 26
THE RESPONSE
Charlotte Convention Center
A North Carolina statewide Solemn Assembly - a time of worship, prayer, fasting and repentance.

Read News Wire
for Prayer News and Resources

Christmas Across America
Reach 100,000 childrenwith the TRUE Story of Christmas.

Resources to engage followers of Jesus in living their faith outside the church walls, Monday  
through Friday. 

October 4
Day of Prayer for the Peace of Jerusalem
Meeting Highlights
"Does Doug still speak at local churches?" - it is amazing that we often get that question! The answer is, "Yes! and often!" - almost every week. While we prefer for congregations to partner for our School of Prayer events, we continue to speak at churches across the nation. Here is a sampling of where we have been recently.

The Loch Lynn Church of God in Maryland, great time withPastor Ivan Ackerman. What a great church and what a blessing they always are to us! Summer found us doing a spot of interim work at Hopewell Friends, in Asheboro, NC, and at Buies Creek Baptist, the campus church to Campbell University. These forays were largely due to our friends Connie Frazier, a NC state lobbyist; and Lynn Buzzard, an attorney who founded theChristian Legal Society. Farmington Heights Church of God  was the site of conference where we focused on prayer on Sunday. What a great sight to see so many men gathered at the altar on Sunday morning. We also conducted a study with the congregation on Islam - a great time of learning and prayer for the Muslim population in the US and around the world. Thanks toPastor Lavon Phillips. 

Then on to Harriman Church of God in TN for their campmeeting. Glad to be there with Dr. Mark Williams, General Overseer of the Church of God, and Dr. Tim Hill,World Missions Director. ThanksPastor Jeff Blackburn for the invitation. And to Rocky Mount, atRidgecrest Worship Center, with Pastor Kelly Shope. His wife Dana is out of the C & Adams Street Church in Fayetteville, where Barbara grew up.

It was my privilege, with Dr. Glenn Sheppard, to lead a time of prayer at the national One Cry Conference at the Cove along with the legendary Richard Owen Roberts, and then to speak at the subsequent Heart Cry for Revival Conference sponsored byLife Action Ministries. Doug was invited to speak at the Billy Graham Headquarters chapel on the National Day of Prayer.And then at the training for volunteers with Samaritan's Purse,back at the Cove. 

There was the Texas Church of God Campmeeting and special times in the altar. Thanks to Bishop Les Higgins for that invitation. And then, for the fourth time in five years, Doug was invited to speak morning and night at the Eastern North CarolinaPentecostal HolinessCampmeeting in Falcon, NC. Thanks to Bishop Danny Nelsonfor that invitation. Great to be withDr. Doug Beacham, the General Superintendent of that movement, and with Dr. Chris Thompson,the Assistant and Director of Evangelism. Thanks to the outgoing Bishop there, Jimmy Whitfield. Great time at the Holmes Bible College gathering with Bishop James Leggett, president, former General Superientendent of the movement and head of the PCCNA. Bishop Ken Hill invited Doug to share at the 16th Biennial Black Ministries International Fellowship Conference.
EventsUpcoming 2016 Events
January 7-8
Encounter 2016
This catalytic, 24-hour experience to be held in Atlanta, GA is great chance to plug into prayer. Learn about all the activities unfolding for 2016 and how prayer leaders will be mobilized for the year.

Last year in Fayetteville, NC, twelve denominations came together for a prayer and unity conference. For this event, expectation is that 25 denominations will come together, along with hundreds of pastors. The purpose - prayer and unity, holy desperation before God, a look at 2016 and what can happen through prayer and unity.

February 24
PCCNA Prayer Commission Consultation
Plan to attend the first ever Pentecostal Charismatic Congregations of North America 'Prayer Commission Consultation' in Dallas, TX. The meeting is open to Denominational Prayer Leaders at the national, state and regional levels; para-church and specialized prayer leaders. The commission was recently launched by Dr. Jeff Farmer, the CEO of the PCCNA. P. Douglas Small is the chair of the commission, along with Lou Shirey (IPHC) and John Maempa (Assembly of God).
SchoolsSchools of Prayer
You learn to pray, by praying. There is no other way.

Host a School of Prayer.
Options:
  • Saturday - Half or whole day. Five sponsoring congregations. Goal: 200 students. Minimum: 100.
  • Sunday - Prayer Experience and Celebration. AM & PM if desired. AM & a PM joint service for the collaborating congregations.
  • Monday - Wednesday (Or, alternately, through the week). Special gatherings to 'practice' prayer (men, women, couples, families, youth, singles, seniors, intercessors).
  • The 40 Day Journey - a series of daily devotions that review the materials covered in the School of Prayer and reinforce the practice of prayer.
Connect with pastors in your area and jointly sponsor a 40 Day Journey and a School of Prayer.
Do more than learn - launch a campaign to call the people to prayer.

Download the School of Prayer brochure
View the calendar to schedule your School of Prayer
Host a Prayer Training Event in Your City
Ten or more congregations agree to co-sponsor the event. We
assist in building the workshop schedule, finding speakers who specialize in various phases of prayer training. These conferences can be styled for a variety of denominational streams. The goal is to promote prayer and unity across a city, bringing people and prayer leaders, pastors and para-church leaders together.

The conference is planned from a Friday evening and a Saturday half-day, with plenary sessions, resource tables, workshops on prayer and the family, personal prayer, intercessor, the church as a house of prayer, the child/youth prayer movement, prayer evangelism - and more.

This can be a powerful event for a city with churches serious about taking prayer to the next level.

View the calendar to schedule your Prayer Training Event
Personal Prayer Coaching

Personal Prayer Coaching - Level I

Need to jump start your personal prayer life? Join Doug in a series of 7 weekly calls. Be challenged by these sessions:
  • Use the Bible as a prayer book
  • Make prayer more about the 'Presence' of God
  • Center yourself in the love of God as you pray
  • Learn how 'heaven is a kind of courtroom' and how to offer effective petitions
  • Explore the power of the uncomfortable middle - intercession
  • Discover the differences between transactional-transformation-transcendent prayer.
Personal Prayer Coaching - Level II
This progressive 7 week series is distinctly different than Level I. Learn about:
  • Theology of prayer and prayer structure
  • The power of thanksgiving in fueling prayer
  • How prayer needs a time and a place
  • Prayer and consecration - the power of the spiritual disciplines
  • Praying scripture - the 2nd Round
  • Repentance as recalibration
At this level, we are treading deeper waters. Completion of Level I is a prerequisite, preferably twice, first solo and then as a mentor to others.

Contact info:
P. Douglas Small
Prayer Ministries Coordinator
Church of God
Alive Ministries:PROJECT PRAY
PO Box 1245
Kannapolis, NC 28082

1-855-842-5483/704-996-5091/Skype 704-440-4115

Like us on Facebook

Send a Revival 

What other nation, O God, have you redeemed from slavery to be your own people? 
I Chronicles 17:21

The American Colonists were a diverse assortment of ethnic groups in a strange land.There was no central government. Unity was localized. A wild and adventurous spirit prevailed. Morals had declined and religious devotion had deteriorated. Drunkenness, profanity, depravity and corruption flourished. The godly aspirations of the Puritan fathers for a Christian Utopia seemed forgotten.

The 'Half Way Covenant' had allowed the unconverted to become members of the church. Soon the unconverted were not only in the pews, but also in the pulpits. Apostasy became abundant. Flagrant sins were overlooked. Young people were addicted to 'night walking, tavern drinking, lewd practices and frolics among the sexes for the greater part of the night. Family government did too much fail in the town.'

The church began to pray. One young woman, described as 'one of the greatest company-keepers in the whole town,' was radically changed and became the talk of the town. In the next six months, 300 of the entire population of 1,100 were converted - almost 30 percent. Jonathan Edwards would say, "The town seemed to be full of the presence of God...it never was so full of love and full of joy. It was a time for joy in families...our public assemblies were beautiful; the congregation was alive in God's service, everyone earnestly intent on the public worship..."

The wave of revival and prayer spread through New England touching ten-percent of the population. These new converts had fervent hearts. They went from house-to-house exhorting everyone to turn to the Lord. Preachers were renewed.

Lord, let it happen again. Stir me. Stir us. Stir another Jonathan Edwards among us! Send a revival - that changes the nation.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/d23fd257001/ad0c7ba7-846d-4b5f-b798-9daa8e..."/> 
Send a Revival 
http://files.ctctcdn.com/d23fd257001/be7a0ac3-936b-4b1a-aa19-b68c10..." align="right"/>
What other nation, O God, have you redeemed from slavery to be your own people? 
I Chronicles 17:21

The American Colonists were a diverse assortment of ethnic groups in a strange land.There was no central government. Unity was localized. A wild and adventurous spirit prevailed. Morals had declined and religious devotion had deteriorated. Drunkenness, profanity, depravity and corruption flourished. The godly aspirations of the Puritan fathers for a Christian Utopia seemed forgotten.

The 'Half Way Covenant' had allowed the unconverted to become members of the church. Soon the unconverted were not only in the pews, but also in the pulpits. Apostasy became abundant. Flagrant sins were overlooked. Young people were addicted to 'night walking, tavern drinking, lewd practices and frolics among the sexes for the greater part of the night. Family government did too much fail in the town.'

The church began to pray. One young woman, described as 'one of the greatest company-keepers in the whole town,' was radically changed and became the talk of the town. In the next six months, 300 of the entire population of 1,100 were converted - almost 30 percent. Jonathan Edwards would say, "The town seemed to be full of the presence of God...it never was so full of love and full of joy. It was a time for joy in families...our public assemblies were beautiful; the congregation was alive in God's service, everyone earnestly intent on the public worship..."

The wave of revival and prayer spread through New England touching ten-percent of the population. These new converts had fervent hearts. They went from house-to-house exhorting everyone to turn to the Lord. Preachers were renewed.

Lord, let it happen again. Stir me. Stir us. Stir another Jonathan Edwards among us! Send a revival - that changes the nation.

Conference Update Header       

Quick Links

Read the latest Prayer News

Christmas Across America
Reach 100,000 children with the TRUE Story of Christmas.

December 4
Solemn Assembly
Woodbridge, VA

Jan 10-31
Virtual Prayer Meeting
9:00PM EST Nightly
Learn more>

Resources to engage followers of Jesus in living their faith outside the church walls, Monday  
through Friday. 

Dallas, TX

The Prayer Closet
Creating a Personal Prayer Room
Learn more about this new resource>
Meeting Highlights
As the Will Graham Celebration ended in Huntington, WV, engaging a five-county area, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, co-sponsored a vision-casting event for post-celebration, on-going prayer-evangelism efforts involving Project Pray. Doug Small and Claude King accompanied Sam Hardy, the BGEA Celebration event director, to the area and met with pastors, marketplace leaders and intercessors. 

As the weekend closed, the café at River Cities Community Church was packed with community leaders asking how they could keep alive a prayer and evangelism effort. Project Pray is calling the process, "A decade of destiny," for a community interested in a no-stones-left-unturned prayer-evangelism effort. Over the next few months, dialogue will continue in hopes of a pilot project. Other cities are also looking at the process. Interested? Connect with Doug Small for more details.

Doug shared with pastors and prayer leaders at the National Convention in Cuba for the Church of God (Santa Clara Region). Special thanks to overseer, Daniel Morales; and to interpreters Bedford and Willa Smith. Also to Charles King for his wonderful partnership on the trip. At the end of the 3-day training event, the response of the crowd was a standing ovation! Before leaving Cuba, Doug had dinner with the Bishop of the Methodist movement in Cuba, Richardo Pereira, and preached in the second largest Protestant Church in Cuba. What a thrill. It was a packed house with an overflow crowd and multiple services. What exuberance. What joy. The nation appears to be on the edge of a national spiritual awakening! Pray for Cuba. Pray specifically for a National Leadership Summit.

Charleston, SC was the site of a rare marriage and family weekend with Doug and Barbara Small. In years past, Doug facilitated family life seminars regularly. Occasionally, he conducts these. This event focused on prayer and the family altar. Thanks to Pastor Marc Campbell for hosting the weekend at the New Covenant Church of God.

Doug also made quick trips to Tyler, TX with Pastor Doug Anderson; Barbourville, KY, with Pastor Sylvester Dunn; and Asheboro, NC, filling in for Pastor Boyd Byerly.
Upcoming Events
December 4-5
Solemn Assembly and Prayer Training Event
All Saints' Church - Woodbridge, VA
A gathering of intercessors in the Woodbridge area. Experience a time of repentance and prayer for revival in the Church and Great Awakening in the Culture. Join with other believers across the Woodbridge area who want to see revitalized congregations and community spiritual awakening. A special thanks to Carla Tibbs who is coordinating the weekend. Register for the Prayer Training Event>

January 7-8
Gathering of Prayer Leaders
Atlanta, GA

A special conference for leaders across the region that want to be a part of state-wide initiatives. Bryan Davidson of Awaken Atlanta and David Franklin, State Chairman of the National Day of Prayer and leader of the Bartow Baptist Association are spearheading the effort. The 2-day event will feature national leaders, resources for 2016 and a vision-casting session for strategic community process. This event is invitation only, but if you are a community prayer leader, or feel God calling you to that role, inquire about space available at this rare meeting. Send a note to laura@projectpray.org for more information.

January 9
Inspired 2016
Online Live Streaming experience focusing on Faith, Prayer, Health & Fitness featuring Renowned Health and Fitness Expert and Author Kim Dolan Leto, Former Chief of Chaplains to the United States Air Force General Major Cecil Richardson and Creator / Director of the films War Room, Courageous & Fireproof Stephen Kendrick (Kendrick Brothers). Plus on demand sessions from Alvin Vandergriend, Michael W. Smith, Chris Tomlin, Crowder, Kim Walker Smith, Claude King, Chonda Pierce, P. Douglas Small and many more! Register today> 

February 12-14
Training prayer leaders for the Servicemen Centers throughout Europe
These centers have evolved over the years. They serve a broad constituency of servicemen and their families, many of whom are being deployed into active battle zones. We are so grateful for Jennie Humann and her passion for the Ministry to Military Centers to become vital houses of prayer. Recently, God blessed Jennie's husband, Brian as Executive Director of Chateau de Thieusies' facility and ministries under Impact Youth Worldwide and Rawlings Foundation. Learn more about their ministry and give a donation.

February 24
http://files.ctctcdn.com/d23fd257001/fa305430-771a-419c-b40f-777fc9..." align="right"/>PCCNA Prayer Commission Consultation
Plan to attend the first ever Pentecostal Charismatic Congregations of North America 'Prayer Commission Consultation' in Dallas, TX. The meeting is open to Denominational Prayer Leaders at the national, state and regional levels; para-church and specialized prayer leaders. The commission was recently launched by Dr. Jeff Farmer, the CEO of the PCCNA. P. Douglas Small is the chair of the commission, along with Lou Shirey (IPHC) and John Maempa (Assembly of God). Learn more>

April 11-16
50 Nation Africa Training Event
National Prayer leaders have been identified from fifty nations and will be together to receive training. Imagine waking up a nation to prayer and spiritual awakening! Imagine waking up a continent! This is a historic first. Pray for this event.

Financial donations are needed for both of these training endeavors:

Contact info:
P. Douglas Small
PO Box 1245
Kannapolis, NC 28082

Alive Ministries: Project Pray | P.O. Box 1245 | Kannapolis | NC | 28082
In this Issue
Support the Prayer Ministry
Prayer Training
War Room Movie
Schools of Prayer
Host a Prayer Training Event
Personal Prayer Coaching

Quick Links

Read News Wire

\
Saturday Night Fire Prayer Experience
Every Saturday night at 10pm EST
712-432-0075
Access code 367853#

September 11
Prayer for America

September 23
See You at the Pole

September 26
THE RESPONSE
Charlotte Convention Center
A North Carolina statewide Solemn Assembly - a time of worship, prayer, fasting and repentance.

Alive Publications
PRODUCT SPECIAL
Purchase the newly released Praying Church Handbook - Volume III - The Pastor and the Congregation for $20 or the 4-volume set at a discount.
LEARN MORE

Christmas Across America

October 4
Great Day of Prayer

Join the Praying Church Movement

SUPPORT PROJECT PRAY

Preach2Engage
through Friday.

October 4
Day of Prayer for the Peace of Jerusalem

October 25
Global Day of Prayer for Unreached People Groups
GiveSupport the Prayer Ministry
It was Helen Keller who said, "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much."

I realize that so many voices are clamoring for your attention, so many worthy ministries are asking for your donor support - and you have to, before God, make the right decision.

Let me tell you why I think you should consider Alive Ministries: PROJECT PRAY. It was the legendary Andrew Murray who stated, "The man who mobilizes the Christian church to pray will make the greatest contribution to world evangelization in history."
We are at a point, arguably, where only a direct intervention of God can change the course of our nation. Historians call such amoment - a Great Awakening. It is when public awareness, suddenly shifts, and God becomes real again to the masses.

A Great Awakening is sparked by prayer! Help us, by becoming a donor to Alive Ministries: PROJECTPRAY. Keep praying. Keep giving!

Give online today>
Prayer Training
So you have started a prayer effort - but it has stalled?

Here is what I (Doug Small) have discovered. Every prayer team, due to the spiritual warfare against it if for no other reason, needs regular nudges forward with encouragement and fresh resources.

That is why the Prayer Trainer's Network has been created.

It is very simple - it brings congregational prayer leadership teams together quarterly, just four times a year, for an evening, to consider where they are in their prayer process.

Each scripted evening is a collage of teaching (video vignettes), fresh tools and talk-it-over and take-it-home action planning.
TEACHING - video teaching by Doug Small and other prayer leaders in small video vignettes, 4-7 minutes, and each session has printable discussion guides. Power Point aids are available as well. Listen to the concepts - and share! These teaching moments are designed to touch thefour dimensions of a healthy and well-balanced prayer process in a congregation. They are a part of the Seven Markers of a Praying Church.
TOOLS - Each quarter, new resources are introduced to the prayer leadership teams - plug-and-pray practical tools. And then, there is time for each participating local church prayer leadership team, around a table, to talk about their next steps.
TALK-IT-OVER AND TAKE-IT-HOME - Time for each congregation to plan the next steps.
Just a nudge! Just enough to keep the prayer-fire burning, to provide more resources, to keep your team encouraged, and to keep stretching them beyond their narrow theology of prayer and its practice.

What is the goal? The process involves ten bench-marks for the integration of prayer into the life of the church, aimed at changing the culture of the church and creating a house of prayer for the nations. Some churches might achieve these in a couple years, for others, the process might be longer. Each congregation proceeds at their own pace, teaming, continuing to come to the table to learn, and assisting the other. Call today to discuss launching a prayer training effort in your area 855-842-5483.

Learn more about the Prayer Trainer's Network>
WAR ROOM Movie
From the award-winning creators of Fireproof and Courageous WAR ROOM, is a compelling drama with humor and heart that explores the power that prayer can have on marriages, parenting, careers, friendships, and every other area of our lives.

Doug Small was honored to be a part of promoting this movie. He is also featured in the Bible study materials available now through Lifeway. Link to resources>
Schools of Prayer
You learn to pray, by praying. There is no other way.

Host a School of Prayer.
Options:
Saturday - Half or whole day. Five sponsoring congregations. Goal: 200 students. Minimum: 100.
Sunday - Prayer Experience and Celebration. AM & PM if desired. AM & a PM joint service for the collaborating congregations.
Monday - Wednesday (Or, alternately, through the week). Special gatherings to 'practice' prayer (men, women, couples, families, youth, singles, seniors, intercessors).
The 40 Day Journey - a series of daily devotions that review the materials covered in the School of Prayer and reinforce the practice of prayer.
Connect with pastors in your area and jointly sponsor a 40 Day Journey and a School of Prayer.
Do more than learn - launch a campaign to call the people to prayer.

Download the School of Prayer brochure
View the calendar to schedule your School of Prayer
TrainingHost a Prayer Training Event in Your City
Ten or more congregations agree to co-sponsor the event. We
assist in building the workshop schedule, finding speakers who specialize in various phases of prayer training. These conferences can be styled for a variety of denominational streams. The goal is to promote prayer and unity across a city, bringing people and prayer leaders, pastors and para-church leaders together.

The conference is planned from a Friday evening and a Saturday half-day, with plenary sessions, resource tables, workshops on prayer and the family, personal prayer, intercessor, the church as a house of prayer, the child/youth prayer movement, prayer evangelism - and more.

This can be a powerful event for a city with churches serious about taking prayer to the next level.

View the calendar to schedule your Prayer Training Event
Coachinghttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif" title="Coaching"/>Personal Prayer Coaching

Need to jump start your personal prayer life? Join Doug in a series of 7 weekly calls. Be challenged by these sessions:
Use the Bible as a prayer book
Make prayer more about the 'Presence' of God
Center yourself in the love of God as you pray
Learn how 'heaven is a kind of courtroom' and how to offer effective petitions
Explore the power of the uncomfortable middle - intercession
Discover the differences between transactional-transformation-transcendent prayer.
This progressive 7 week series is distinctly different than Level I. Learn about:
Theology of prayer and prayer structure
The power of thanksgiving in fueling prayer
How prayer needs a time and a place
Prayer and consecration - the power of the spiritual disciplines
Praying scripture - the 2nd Round
Repentance as recalibration
At this level, we are treading deeper waters. Completion of Level I is a prerequisite, preferably twice, first solo and then as a mentor to others.
Sign-up for Personal Prayer Coaching - Level I or Level II

Contact info:
P. Douglas Small
PO Box 1245
Kannapolis, NC 28082

dougsmall@projectpray.org
In this Issue
Support the Prayer Ministry
Virtual Prayer Meeting
Personal Prayer Coaching

Quick Links

Read News Wire

Christmas Across America

Join the Praying Church Movement

SUPPORT PROJECT PRAY

Feb 10-Mar 20
Seek God for the City 2016

Preach2Engage
through Friday.

July 22
National Solemn Assembly
Dallas, TX

50% OFF SALE throughDecember 31>

The Prayer Closet
Creating a Personal Prayer Room
Learn more about this new resource>
Givehttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif" class="CToWUd"/>Support the Prayer Ministry
Your contributions make it possible for us to be involved in so many national initiatives that are unfunded: coordinate prayer; coach leaders; and bring together different streams in cities. Without you, our efforts would come to a grinding stop. Every dollar counts and we attempt to use it wisely. We are a no frills ministry, with a wonderful team of people who care about revival and awakening and sacrifice to work for that cause.

You are a part of that team. Help us finish our annual Partner Drive! Become a regular partner with Alive Ministries or give a one-time gift.

Give online today>
Virtualhttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif" class="CToWUd"/>2016 Virtual Prayer Meeting
January 10-31, 2015
9:00 PM-10:30 PM EST

The Reset Our Generation in a Virtual Prayer Meeting is a 22-day prayer connection call.

Begin the New Year with 22 Days of Prayer and Fasting. Join Jesus followers and thousands of churches across the nation. The idea is simple. It is two hours that allow us, as believers, across denominational lines, to join in prayer for revival in the church and awakening in the culture. Two hours of prayer with national leaders, nightly.

Anyone can call in from the comfort of their home and listen to the virtual prayer meeting and participate in one of several afterglow sessions offered nightly. Simply dial the number. Listen. Pray. Cry out to God for His divine intervention.

Each night, a special guest will offer a prayer challenge and a national prayer leader will lead a segment of prayer. In addition, you will hear fresh reports in a 'Look What God is Doing!' segment. And a Next-Gen report from the RESET Team. Guests include: Mark Williams, Ronnie Floyd, Doug Stringer, Harry Jackson, Alton Garrison, Steve Hawthorne, Dave Butts, Jeremy Story - and others.

The opportunity to unite in prayer for ourselves, for our churches, our cities and the world, is intended as a beginning for a year filled with opportunities for revival and awakening.

Plan a prayer meeting for your congregation - listen in to the national virtual prayer meeting and pray! Open your church or home and have your own live afterglow!

Learn more at americapray.net>
Coachinghttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif" title="Coaching" class="CToWUd"/>Prayer Coaching

In February, Doug will offer begin a new session for Personal Prayer Coaching - Levels I and II. New precepts and prayer principles are introduced each week. Participants are asked to probe the implications of these principles - to GROW in prayer. Doug says, "What the
head gets intellectually, the
heart has to grasp experientially."Participants are asked to
ponder those new principles. Then put them into
practice.

Prayer Scripture
Make prayer more about the 'Presence' of God
Center yourself in the love of God as you pray
The power of petition - Heaven is a Courtroom
The uncomfortable, critical, strategic middle - intercession
Transcendent praying
Phase I: Go through Level I and apply it to your life.
Phase II: Go through Level I a second time, taking others with you. Have a handful of friends join you on the call. Commit to connect with them. Use the power point and support materials to GROW together. Complete Phase II and then consider Level II.

Theology of prayer and prayer structure
The discipline of thanksgiving in fueling prayer
How prayer needs a time and a place - the Prayer Closet
Prayer and consecration - the power of the spiritual disciplines
Praying scripture - the 2nd Round
Repentance as recalibration
Prayer Team Consultation
So you need a bit of encouragement for your prayer team? Maybe you are stuck! Your Prayer Team can schedule, as a member of the Praying Church Movement, a consultation with Doug Small. Consultations with local church prayer teams are scheduled once or twice monthly. Send your list of questions - and get unstuck in your prayer process.
Sign-up for Personal Prayer Coaching - Level I or Level II or a Prayer Team Consultation>

Contact info:
P. Douglas Small
PO Box 1245
Kannapolis, NC 28082

dougsmall@projectpray.org

BEGIN READING>>>

Virtualhttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif"/>Virtual Prayer Meeting
January 10-31, 2016
9:00pm EST Nightly

Praying with Jesus to Reset our Generation

Join this virtual prayer meeting at home via phone. The prayer meeting will be led by such prominent leaders as Mark Williams, Ronnie Floyd, Doug Stringer, Harry Jackson, Michael Lewis, Mark Dance, Dave Butts, Jeremy Story - and others. At least a dozen different denominations will take part in this nightly call.

Imagine hundreds, thousands, of people praying along with national leaders for revival and spiritual awakening. Doug Small and Claude King will co-host the calls, along with members of the City Prayer Vision Call team. Each night, you will hear fresh reports of revival and awakening across the nation. We are praying and fanning the flames of and for Great Awakening.

Participant Number
(605) 562-3172
Access Code 1234

Listener Number
(605) 562-3173

Learn more at americapray.net>
Visionhttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif"/>City Vision Calls
Second Thursday at 10:00 AM EST
Fourth Thursday at 9:00 PM EST

Beginning in February, Doug and the City Vision Team will offer a bi-monthly prayer and city vision call for communities interested in a county-wide, prayer and evangelism effort. Hear the stories of others in the journey to see revival and awakening come to their community. Other members of the team include: Claude King, Southern Baptist Prayer Leader, LifeWay; Rod Barnett, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association; Gary Frost, Mission America Prayer Coordinator; Steve Hawthorne,
Waymakers and Seek God for the City; Kay Horner, The Awakening Alliance and Cry Out America; Tom Phillips. Billy Graham Evangelistic Association; James Pool, Life Action Ministries and One Cry; Doug Stringer, The Response Movement and Somebody Cares; Debbie Walsh; Child Evangelism Ministires Liaison

If you want to see a move of God in your community - join in, listen, learn - and then reach out and connect with others.

New call-in number will be released soon. 
Sign-up for these calls at: projectpray.org/prayer-coaching.
Newhttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif"/>A New Initiative
What would it look like in your city - if the Baptist, the Methodist, the Church of God, the independent evangelical church, black and white congregations, all simultaneously, called for a revival in your city? Each church, hosting a member of the simultaneous revival team, and yet, each church connected to the efforts of the other. This is a different kind of crusade - not a single event at one location, but a single event at multiple, simultaneous locations. All combined with prayer-walking, prayer gatherings that reach across denominational lines, prayer strategies - and tracks for youth and children. Would your city be interested in such an endeavor? It's a new idea. Project Pray and a group of pastors from across denominational lines are looking for a city to be a pilot project. 

For more information call 855-842-5483.

Coachinghttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif"/>City Vision Coaching
There is a new stirring across the land - in the direction of prayer and unity - with an eye on the need for intentional evangelism. Virtually everyone agrees that what is needed is a national great awakening, a God-coming moment. The Holy Spirit stirs over the lives of obedient people committed to God's purposes. So much city effort is focused on tactical, short-term events, when a long-term, multi-year strategy is needed. Want to learn more? Join a four-session consultation with Doug Small, and the Prayer-Connect Community Leadership Network endeavor. As many as a half-dozen cities will join the call to share and hear principles that move them into a strategic process. 

Sign-up for a consultation at: projectpray.org/prayer-coaching.
warhttps://static.ctctcdn.com/ui/images1/s.gif"/>War Room Movie
The War Room movie exceeded expectations. Doug was featured in videos during the promotion of the movie and in the post-movie Bible Study with the Kendrick Brothers, Claude King, Kay Horner, Glen Sheppard and Dave Butts. The movie will be released on DVD on December 22. 

Purchase your copy today>

Contact info:
P. Douglas Small
City Vision Team
PO Box 1245
Kannapolis, NC 28082

855-842-5483
704-996-5091

Blessing and Favor
Which comes first, the blessing of the Lord or the favor of the Lord? Enabled by grace, we believed and experienced the blessing of God's salvation act in our behalf. Luther translated the Greek word soteria into the German language as Heil, salvation. Claus Westermann argues that Heil refers to the condition created by the saving act of God, not to the act itself. So, there is the act of salvation and there is the condition, the life that is to result from the saving action, a kind of sphere of salvation in which we are to live, in which we are enabled by grace in an on-going way, to grow in maturity, and for missional purposes. This is the state of being saved, having been saved. Salvation then, is both an event, a doorway, a new status, and a dynamic that is ongoing in our lives. That is what it means to live a blessed life. God blesses us, that is, He saves us to bring us into a new realm, a new life. The salvation moment, the event, is at the beginning of what should be a lifetime of walking in the ever-renewing power of God's gracious blessing. This new spiritual state is characterized by holiness, wholeness, health, and vitality. To be saved is glorious, it is the escape from wrath, the deliverance from sin and death, and a doorway out of life's storm. But being saved is more glorious, it is the daily exposure to life itself, to heaven's influence on us and through us, and to resurrection power by which we overcome the active elements of sin and death that are all about us.

This blog is part of The Praying Church Handbook - Volume III - Pastor and the Congregation which can be purchased at alivepublications.org>  
http://files.constantcontact.com/d23fd257001/4aa78305-d80b-4737-be4..." class="gmail_msg"/>
A PERSONAL STORY

A number of years ago, while serving on the State Council for the Church of God in California, I drove to Sacramento for a board meeting. I was near empty when I pulled into the office parking lot. The meeting was scheduled to last until supper, but instead, it ran past ten o'clock. I pulled out on the Freeway and headed home looking for gas stations that were still open. I took the connector route from Highway 99 to Interstate 5. I knew, once on I-5, I had few opportunities for fuel. But one all-night station was my goal. Sadly, unaware, I took a route that placed me on the interstate just south of that station. Too late, I realized that I was virtually on fumes. Modesto was still only a few miles east. I turned. Ahead were lights - gas! No, the station was closed.

The bar next door was hopping. I should have been more realistic, walked into that bar, and asked for someone to call AAA. I didn't. An inebriated soul seemed sober and lucid enough to offer directions. I was the fool. I headed east, took the turn south, turned again at the fork. I was hopeful. But when I crossed a set of railroad tracks and the road suddenly narrowed, a sinking, sick feeling took over. The road turned east. A farm house was to the south, but the carnivorous dogs did not seem an inviting welcoming committee. There were no lights, no signs of activity. It was near midnight now. Suddenly, the pavement ended. I ventured on. What could I do? The gravel road turned north. And then it happened. The car lurched. The dash lights flashed. The engine became quiet. I was out of gas.

For a full five, maybe ten minutes, I sat in the car that I had steered to the middle of the road and prayed. I could hear the cars on the interstate to the west. But there were fences, an orchard and bog between the car and that interstate - who knows what else. I could walk ahead. But I had no knowledge of where the road actually led or if it led anywhere.I could return to the farmhouse, fight off the Dobermans, wake up the farmer, dodge bullets, and if I was still alive ask for help.

Now out of the car, standing under the California sky, I knew I should not stay there all night. That was when I heard the sound of a truck, not far away on the freeway, but closer. Then, I could see the lights of a Semi-Trailer Truck. He was headed my way. He rounded the corner and almost immediately, he must have seen my car in the middle of the road with the emergency lights flashing. He stopped almost fifty yards from me. There was no backing up. I am sure he was calculating his options. Was he being held up? High-jacked? Was I alone? I raised both hands and started walking slowly toward him. He waited and watched. I approached the driver side of the cab, and confessed my foolish mistake. Within minutes, I was on board and headed for the gas-station I had missed earlier.

He was carrying a late load, an unusual thing for him, and he had taken the gravel short-cut, which he said was rarely used. A dump was near, "Bad things happen out here," he shared. I might have been there all night or days, or - shutter the thought. He was a nice guy. I wondered - an angel? His language soon cleared that up. And that is when I had a wonderful chance to share my faith. Arriving at the all-night gas station, I hopped out and hunted down the manager. He put in a call for his emergency tow truck driver. As I waited, again, I had a wonderful opportunity to share Christ.

Soon my emergency ride was on-site. He was a scraggly looking character. His beard was mere stubble. He had the capacity to hold a cigarette in the corner of his mouth, seemingly attached only to his lower lip, while the most profuse profanity flowed out of the hole. There was a cavalier insensitivity about him, a disorder about his whole person. I put away my gospel seed pouch, concluding that the ground here was too hard.

He pointed to a broken down truck. Since I did not need to be towed, we would take his vehicle. He filled up the spare fuel tank. And then he proceeded to put a bit of gas in his pick-up, while rocking it furiously. "You have to burp it," he apologetically said, poking his head into the driver's window. I wondered if I were at all sane, making this trip out into the forsaken area where I had left my car.

"Did you pay?" he asked. "Yes," I said. But my claim was met with a look of total distrust and skepticism. "Wanna see my receipt?" He said, "Yes!" I dug out the receipt where I had paid for his service and the gasoline we would put into my vehicle. He checked out the receipt. I asked, as he did, if he also wanted to see my ministerial ordination papers. I shouldn't have displayed such a twisted sense of humor. He looked a bit puzzled.

On the road, his aging vehicle began to spit and sputter so severely that I wondered if we might need to call another road service. He patted the dash, talked to the truck - more eccentric behavior. And then, quite suddenly, he explained his earlier brusqueness. He had responded to some midnight calls, taken the needy person to their vehicle, and returned to the station only to discover that they had not paid for either the service or the gas. Suddenly, I saw an open door. "When others do us wrong, the sting is so apparent isn't it? That is because there is this line in our hearts that lights up. It was put there by God. All of us know about it, feel it and sense it. I am sorry that happened to you!"

He turned sideways in the pick-up. It was like he had picked up an alien! He knew now, that I had not been kidding about the ministerial ordination. We began to talk about faith and God, in the most sincere way. Standing on the gravel road, putting fuel in my car, under the California sky, we had a moment together. He had lived in Indiana. He and his wife shared a single-wide mobile home with their infant child. A tornado had ripped through the park, picked up their fragile home and tossed it around. They found themselves outside, miraculously alive, but the daughter was nowhere to be found. Only a pile of twisted metal and debris lay where their home had once stood. They tore through the rubble. From some distant place, the wind had picked up pieces of steel rebar and driven into the remains of their mobile home. Bits and pieces of metal and were collected on the rebar like meat on a skewer. They were horrified. If their child were in the rubble - would they find the little girl alive?

As they peeled back the shattered remains, they looked for signs of life. Then near the bottom of the pile, they came upon a large frame, the picture still inside, face down. As they turned it over, it was a print of Jesus they had never seen before. It had not hung in their house. They had no idea where it might have come from. In the picture, Jesus was holding a lamb, overlooking a flock of sheep. Underneath was their little girl, unharmed, except for a tiny bump on the head.

Under the stars, I had an opportunity to affirm God's goodness, his grace in sparing the family, his purposes for all our lives. I took his hand and standing in the middle of the road, in the middle of the night - we prayed. We cried. We sensed God's presence.

That apology, not for something I had done, but for the insensitivity of others touched "the line in his heart" and led to an amazing opportunity for witness.

Where may God place you this Christmas Season? Somewhere He wants His gospel shared? His plan of forgiveness understood? Be open and ready. 1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear...

Watch our video for an update on the ministry needs at Alive Ministries: PROJECT PRAY:

• THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS PRESENT:Stretch your prayer life with the newly release Simple Radical Prayer for only $9.99. Purchase today>

RSS

Visit These Partners in Prayer

Workshop Video

Impacting Cities & Communities thru Prayer

Prayer Directory Sites

Events / Days of Prayer / Training

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Pray.Network Curator/Coordinator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service