Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

I received permission from Jon Graf to post the daily Connection! prayer devotions on Pray.Network.  These devotions are available as a free e-mail subscription from the Harvest Prayer Ministries website at http://connection.harvestprayer.com/.

I have found these devotionals to be not only inspirational but also great equipping for my own prayer life.  There aren't many devotionals that are actually about prayer - most have a quick prayer at the end and that's about it.  But this one has prayer as its focus.  I thought others on the Network might be interested in it.  I will attempt to post each one daily - although I'll inevitably miss here and there. 

I have previously written a Spotlight blog post on the Connection! devotional; if you're interested, check it out here: http://www.pray.network/profiles/blogs/praynetwork-spotlight-connec....

I hope you enjoy and benefit from this devotional as much as I have.

--Andrew

Views: 2404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

November 1: Prayer for America – 7 Days to Election Day

“The people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.” –Matthew 4:16

The Apostle Matthew reached back into the Old Testament to comment on the coming of Messiah to His people, lost in darkness and death. It is a beautiful picture of light coming to shine in the darkest of places. The arrival of Jesus brought life and light and forever changed the world wherever that light has shone.

The light of Jesus not only comes to bring transformation to those who have never heard, but also to those in whom the light has grown dim. In so many ways, the United States has been blessed by the gospel of Jesus Christ. From east to west, from north to south, the good news of Jesus has been proclaimed and churches have been established. Yet, generations have come and gone, and in many places the light of Christ has almost gone out. Some churches no longer preach the Bible. In other places, a different culture has arisen in neighborhoods where there is no longer a church effectively reaching out to its community.

We need to see that our America needs the light of Christ once again. It is time to proclaim to those dwelling in darkness that the Light has come! To see true transformation in the nation will require massive church planting and church revitalization. Those dwelling (in America) in the land of the shadow of death must hear the good news that a light has dawned in our land once again.

Prayer Points

• Pray that churches in your community and area will preach the gospel of Christ powerfully.
  • Pray for church planting movements in our nation.
  • Ask the Lord to bring revival to the church in America.

My Prayer

Father, our nation desperately needs the light of the gospel once again. In so many places, a stagnant church has made the good news seem like stale old news. Forgive us for not handling correctly what has been entrusted to us. Bring new life and light to Your church. Revive Your people once again, Lord. I pray that from that new life, Your light would shine into places of darkness in this nation. I pray for a massive church planting movement within this nation and another Great Awakening of souls coming to You.

–Adapted from Desperate for Change: 40 Days of Prayer for America by David Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

2016 ELECTION PRAYER: Like, share and follow our 2016 Election Prayer page on Facebook! Every day there is a new prayer as we move through this election season! You can also download a free election prayer guide! Let’s press in together for this crucial election!

Connection (Devotions for Everyday Life) © 2016 is published daily by Harvest Prayer Ministries. Subscribe here.

November 2: Prayer for America – 6 Days to Election Day

“But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.” –Psalm 9:18

The earliest Christians were basically poor. There were a few wealthy individuals, but the good news of Jesus was especially attractive to the down and out. Jesus went out of His way to minister to the poor and needy. Those who were ill received special attention. The earliest disciples of Jesus followed His example by reaching out to the hurting.

An interesting thing happened. Within generations, those who followed Jesus prospered. There is something about the life of Christ that encourages hard work, thriftiness, generosity, and the sort of characteristics that bring about a greater prosperity. Oh, I don’t mean every Christian ends up wealthy. That’s just not true. But there is definitely a trend of what we might call upward mobility over the generations for many Christian families in America.

The danger we often face is forgetting from whence we came. It is easy for us to forget that generations ago our families might have been those struggling just to make it. So God’s Word is filled with reminders that God is always watching out for the needy and the afflicted. He wants us to do so as well, for He has blessed us to be a blessing to others in physical, material and spiritual ways. If we would faithfully follow Jesus in this way, there would be no need for the government to take care of those in need. God wants His people to get serious about being His hands, feet and voice in our families, our communities and in our nation!

Prayer Points

• Begin to pray for those you know who are hurting financially and physically, and ask God to show you how to respond.
  • Pray for a humility and an outreach in the church toward those whom the Bible calls the least among us.
  • Repent of any negative attitudes you may have had toward the poor or afflicted.

My Prayer

Father, I am so thankful that You do not show favoritism. Help me to be like You. Give me a compassion from You for those who are poor or afflicted in any way. Show me not only how to pray but how You might want me to follow my prayers with actions. Lord, please pour out that attitude upon all Your people. May Your church rise up in compassion and good deeds to minister to those who are hurting in every way in our nation. Forgive us, Lord, for allowing or expecting the government to do this work that really belongs to us.

–Adapted from Desperate for Change: 40 Days of Prayer for America by David Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Pray into America’s Future! Most Christians believe that much prayer is needed for our nation. But most don’t know how to pray in an effective way that will release the power of God on behalf of our nation. Weaving together Scriptures and stories from America’s past, With One Cry: A Renewed Challenge to Pray for America by David Butts confronts our current situation and provides hope for our future. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Connection (Devotions for Everyday Life) © 2016 is published daily by Harvest Prayer Ministries. Subscribe here.

November 3: Prayer for America – 5 Days to Election Day

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.” –2 Corinthians 5:10

I remember the day, more than thirty years ago, when I had to stand before a judge to hear his judgment. At issue was an argument over whether or not I lived in the right district to run for a particular elective office. Even though I had not done anything wrong, I still felt very anxious. No one likes to hear judgment passed on them. (By the way, I won that case.)

We don’t like to think about judgment. But Scripture is very clear that every person on the planet will stand before Christ to be judged. Though our salvation is dependent upon whether or not Christ is our Savior and Lord, our actions as individuals in life certainly factor into things eternally in a way that we don’t fully comprehend.

How does knowing this fact change the way you pray for governmental leaders and those in authority when you recognize that they, too, must stand before the judgment seat of Christ? We are not called to be accusers, but intercessors. The picture of the judgment seat of Christ should drive us to our knees in passionate prayer for our leaders and many others.

Prayer Points

• Thank the Lord for paying the price for your redemption and that your judge is also your Savior!
  • Pray for the salvation of local government leaders.
  • Pray for the salvation of national government leaders.

My Prayer

Father, I know that You are the Ultimate Judge over all mankind and that You have turned judgment over to Your Son, Jesus, our Lord and Savior. Thank You. Lord, I face judgment without fear because of Your love for me that brought me into Your family and forgave all of my sins. But, Lord, I fear for the many who do not know You and face a fearful judgment. Help me to pray for those who so desperately need You. I pray especially for those who are in authority over us at a national level. Their actions are so visible to a watching world and so often are contrary to Your revealed Word. Bring conviction of sin and draw them near to You that they might face judgment with the peace of Christ in their hearts.

Pray into America’s Future! Most Christians believe that much prayer is needed for our nation. But most don’t know how to pray in an effective way that will release the power of God on behalf of our nation. Weaving together Scriptures and stories from America’s past, With One Cry: A Renewed Challenge to Pray for America by David Butts confronts our current situation and provides hope for our future. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

November 4: Prayer for America – 4 Days to Election Day

“Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’ For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as the Lord our God is to us, whenever we call upon him? And what great nation is there, that has statutes and rules so righteous as all this law that I set before you today?” –Deuteronomy 4:6–8, ESV

What makes a nation great? Its military forces or its growing economy? Is it great natural resources or an industrious people? All of those and more certainly contribute to the greatness that nations strive for. But the Bible shows us a different perspective. It’s a fascinating national concept found buried deep in this Old Testament passage. The greatness of a nation is directly related to the righteousness of its laws and rules.

As our nation began, our laws were made in recognition of God. Even though a number of our founding fathers were not church-going Christians, they all had a respect for the laws of God and literally based the new nation’s laws upon what they considered divine law. God blessed their decision, and greatness was achieved.

Over the years the making and understanding of law has drifted from that strong godly perspective. Increasingly, lawmakers are looking to other nations or cultural trends for guidelines in laws. It could be argued that our greatness as a nation is drifting with that trend. It is time to begin praying for a return to laws that have their basis in God’s Word.

Prayer Points

• Thank God for a good foundation for this nation in the nature of its laws.
  • Pray for a return to that solid foundation.
  • Pray for the judges of this nation, that they would seek the wisdom that comes from above.

My Prayer

Father, when I read the founding documents of our nation, I give thanks to You for the wisdom given to the men who wrote them. They clearly tried to base their writings on Your revelation. Would You pour out that wisdom on those who are currently in leadership in our nation? We have been drifting from Your Word, and our laws are increasingly in opposition to Your revealed will. Turn us, Lord. Line our laws up with Your Word so that we might once again achieve greatness as a nation because we reflect what You desire.

November 5: Prayer for America – 3 Days to Election Day

“I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.” –Philemon 1:6

It’s easy to criticize our government. There’s a lot going wrong in Washington, D.C. If a representative government has gone wrong, however, that means our problems are deeper than just our leaders. It’s a reflection of our condition as a nation. Spiritually speaking then, it goes back to a problem with the church in our nation.

In a very real sense, the church in America has become lax and unfocused in our work. We have made the church about us and our desires, when we were always intended to be about reaching out and making a difference in our culture. Hiding behind church walls is a good way to bring about not only a slow death for the church but also a steady decline in a nation.

Paul’s admonition to Philemon is not only good for church growth but for the renewal of a nation. All Christians must be active in sharing their faith. If tens of millions of us in the United States take these words to heart, we will see a turn around in the spiritual condition of our nation. Quit complaining! Begin to pray and share your faith and see what God does.

Prayer Points

• Ask the Lord to forgive you for your failure to actively share your faith.
  • Ask the Lord to show you the next steps you need to take in sharing your faith.
  • Pray for a fresh wave of evangelism to sweep over America.

My Prayer

Father, forgive me for my timidity when it comes to sharing my faith. Give me the boldness I need, along with wisdom to actively share my faith as a way of life. Lord, I pray that there will indeed be a fresh wave of evangelism that will flow from Your people out over this nation. Bring millions into Your kingdom! Change the hearts of many in this nation. You are our hope, Lord! Forgive us for looking to the government to change things, when all along You were ready and willing to change hearts. Change us, Lord, from the inside out.

November 6: Prayer for America – Two Days to Election Day

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” –Mark 8:36

The heroes of America are often those who began with nothing, but through hard work, made a success of themselves. That success is normally gauged in terms of money, fame, or power. It is certainly true that hard work and success often (though not always) go together. What needs to be examined is the criteria by which we judge success.

Jesus warns us that the typical standard for success is insufficient. While not discounting the value of wealth, Jesus asks His typical style of question in which the answer is obvious. “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” No good at all! This simple question challenges our very basis for success.

What we need is a new image of an American hero. The individual who works hard to achieve success and experiences that success through a life of selfless service, compassionate care for others, and uncompromising worship of the Lord should be our hero. As we hold those individuals in high esteem, they become models to impact future generations to live for true eternal success.

Prayer Points

• Ask the Lord to show you clearly how you have measured success in yourself and others.
  • Pray for clarity of purpose in your life, with your focus on Jesus.
  • Pray for the emergence of a new generation of American heroes who exemplify the kind of God-focused life that inspires others toward that same type of life.

My Prayer

Lord Jesus, I thank You for the way You speak so practically into our lives. You know how easy it is for us to get caught up in gaining material things. It is such a besetting sin here in America that we have made financial success a virtue. Forgive us for our misguided view of what success really is. Instead, Lord, help us to focus on living a life in You, for You, and then poured out on behalf of others. How dramatically our nation would be changed if we began to think of success in spiritual terms and not just in the accumulation of wealth, power or fame.

November 7: Prayer for America – 1 Day to Election Day

"This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.” –Isaiah 66:2

All too often, Americans are looked at as arrogant or prideful. Years ago, there was a book entitled The Ugly American that told of how Americans in the Foreign Service often perpetuated that view. It is time for a new reputation for Americans; one that is in line with what God desires for all people.

The prophet Isaiah gives us an amazing perspective of what God is looking for in us. The individual that God esteems is humble, contrite in spirit, and trembles at His Word. Before we just nod in passive agreement and move on, consider for a moment if that is the way we are wanting our children to grow up. So often, even as Christians, we want our children to be outgoing and confident, so much so that we wink at a little bit of pride. Pride is a deep-rooted sin for us.

A spiritual revolution in America will take place when we walk in humility before God and each other. We will find ourselves in a place of receiving blessing from God when we have a contrite spirit. And we can expect revival throughout the land when the church is filled with those who tremble at His Word!

Prayer Points

• Humble yourself before the Lord in prayer this day.
  • Recognize the great need you have to be one who trembles at the Word of God.
  • Pray for another Great Awakening to sweep the nation as the Lord’s people learn to humble themselves with a contrite spirit, and to tremble at the Word of the Lord.

My Prayer

Oh, Lord, forgive us for our arrogance. We humble ourselves before You today. Forgive us of any pride. Help us to walk in humility before You and others. May a contrite spirit mark our lives continually. Teach us what it means to tremble at Your Word. Revive Your people, Lord. May another Great Awakening come to this nation as we walk in humility and contriteness before You!

November 8: Prayer for America - Election Day

**We hope that these 40 days of praying for our nation have blessed you and that God will respond to the prayers of His people with spiritual awakening in America!

“Who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?” –Esther 4:14

The well-known story of Esther becoming queen at a crucial time in the history of the Jewish people has inspired many through the years. The Jews faced annihilation at the hands of their enemies. Esther would be putting her life in danger by speaking out, but her cousin Mordecai’s words gave her the courage she needed. He appealed to the timing of her part in this drama, “for such a time as this.”

I believe it is God’s timing that you have prayed your way through this little book. Like Esther, we are living in perilous times in which our nation is under assault from foreign enemies, and from those within who have failed to understand the critical role of the Christian faith to the greatness of America. It is a situation that cannot simply be fixed by a new leader, new plan, or different strategy. We need the intervention of God!

God steps in when His people passionately ask Him to. The most important thing Christians can do for America is to pray. In these days of distress, the Lord is raising up a people who will intercede with faith and fervency! You are answering the call. Pray . . . for such a time as this!

Prayer Points

• Thank the Lord for His great gift of prayer.
  • Pray for a clearer understanding of the days in which we live and how we should pray.
  • Pray for a spirit of prayer to come over the church in America.

My Prayer

Father, I am so grateful that You hear when we call. For weeks now, we have been praying for our beloved nation. Thank You for calling us to prayer and showing us how to pray. Give us an understanding of the times in which we live and Your purposes for our nation. We want always to line up our prayers with Your desires. Would You pour out a spirit of prayer upon the church in America? Show us that we are indeed called to pray for our nation for such a time as this.

November 9: The Election Is Over – Now What?

Thanks for praying with us for 40 days before and on Election Day! Now what? Our nation STILL needs much prayer, no matter who is in the White House or in Congress! God is still on the throne, even if the people you wanted to win elections didn’t get elected! He is the only One who saves us – there is NO other! We must not let down our guard or give up! We must press in as never before! For the next several days we are going to focus on how to pray God’s kingdom agenda upon our land and its leaders! Please encourage your households, friends and churches to join you in seeking the very heart of God for His plans and purposes to reign in the United States of America. Our future as a nation doesn’t depend upon the White House – it depends on the prayer that goes on in the Church house and in your house!

Hope-filled biblical focus is needed if we are to see a movement of prayer that moves the hand of God regarding the United States. Christians need to believe that God is not done with our nation and begin praying with passion according to the purposes of God. The focus of our hope must be in God and His Word.

If we look to our politicians, we will not have hope. If we look to our culture, we will lose our hope. If the economy is where we are placing out trust, hope will be lost with every downturn. Our hope must be in the Lord!

Sometimes though, it is directed to a nation. The Psalmist speaks to Israel with this powerful word, O Israel, hope in the Lord! For with the Lord there is steadfast love, and with him is plentiful redemption. (Ps. 130:7, ESV)

In a passage that I believe speaks much to our current situation, the author of Lamentations spends the first part of chapter 3 bemoaning the horrible situation that he is in. In verse 21 though, his thoughts turn to the mercies of God and he takes hope. Consider this powerful picture.

“But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth. Let him sit alone in silence when it is laid on him; let him put his mouth in the dust—there may yet be hope” (Lam. 3:21-29 ESV).

Hope comes from a renewed focus on the Lord and his never-ending mercy and love. Lamentations points out the need of remembering that about the Lord (“this I call to mind,” v. 21). There is also the powerful picture of humility and repentance before the Lord, “let him put his mouth in the dust.”

A people who humbly come before the Lord, remembering His mercy, have great reason for hope.

Those who await the work of the Lord are called prisoners of hope. That is a good description for the Church today as we long to see the Lord restore and renew His people, and with them, a nation that desperately needs His healing touch. Prisoners of hope never quit praying until the Lord accomplishes His purposes or until He silences their prayers.

Father, please renew our hope about the future of our nation. Give us a fresh vision for what can happen in this nation as we submit ourselves to the lordship of Christ.

–Adapted from With One Cry: A Renewed Challenge to Pray for America by David Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Prayer Points

Praise God that he speaks in ways that even the lonely, anguished, and defeated can understand (2 Cor. 1:3-4). Give thanks that all things are possible in God (Mt. 19:26). Confess the many times you are tempted to work things out yourself, or are enmeshed in self-pity (Rom. 8:28). Commit to God all who are defeated and lonely. Ask God to help you remember that all you do is to be done in the name of Jesus, giving thanks and glory to him (Col. 3:17).

Pray that God will give your church a heart for reaching the nations of the world for Christ, through encouragement of missionaries, through giving, and through prayers.

Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.  This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

PRAY FOR THE NATION RESOURCE: Click here for a free prayer guide: Daily Prayer Points for the Seven Centers of Power and Influence in the United States.

November 10: Pray for God’s Glory to Dwell in Our Nation

Until we have a clear picture of what we are praying for, I’m convinced our prayers will remain vague and powerless. Does God still have a purpose for the United States of America in spite of our turning from Him? How can we pray in a way that releases the power and purposes of God in our nation?

Psalm 85:9 gives a divine perspective on what God desires for a nation. “Surely his salvation is near those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land.” God desires for his glory to dwell in our land. What an astonishing perspective! Especially when you consider that God’s glory ultimately is His presence. God wants a nation in which His presence (glory) is welcome and sensed.

Now that is a compelling vision for passionate prayer! No longer a nebulous murmuring of “God bless America,” but a cry for the presence of God to be known in the United States. Rather than a prideful assertion of the exceptionalism of America, it is a humble affirmation of the exceptionalism of God.

Father, we recognize that You want Your glory to dwell in our land. May Your presence be welcomed and recognized in every heart so that the light of Your presence will pierce the darkest issues and problems facing our present and future. Help Your people to lay down their prideful ways in favor of deep humility so that You alone are lifted up and exalted in our nation!

Prayer Points

Praise God for his teaching to be of good cheer even in a world of tribulation (Jn. 16:33). Thank God for being your shelter in times of trouble (Ps. 91:1-2). Confess personal burdens that you haven’t committed to him and which rob you of that “good cheer” (2 Cor. 5:4). Commit yourself to trusting Christ in every situation (1 Cor. 10:13). Ask God to reveal himself in a special way to his children who feel distant from him today.

Intercede for any of your family members or friends who are suffering intensely today. Ask God not to withhold his mercy. Pray that his love and truth will protect them (Ps. 40:11).

Prayer Pointer

“Praying for people will bring you to love them. Loving them will lead you to serve them. Serving them will be the open door through which God can move in to save, heal, and make whole.” —Maxie Dunnam

–Adapted from With One Cry: A Renewed Challenge to Pray for America by David Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.  This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

PRAY FOR THE NATION RESOURCE: Click here to access the free article, A Prayerful Response to Terrorism.  One of the most concerning and troubling issues of our day is terrorism that threatens our nation daily.  Learn how the Church in America should respond with prayer.

November 13: Pray for the Church

As the Church watches and prays, we will increasingly be made aware of the dangers, both spiritual and physical, that are coming upon our land. That awareness will cause us to take up the trumpet. Blowing the trumpet is a picture of warning people of danger. Look at some of the Old Testament passages that speak of this task:

“Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the descendants of Jacob their sins.” (Isa. 58:1)

“Put the trumpet to your lips! An eagle is over the house of the Lord because the people have broken my covenant and rebelled against my law.” (Hos. 8:1)

“Blow the trumpet in Zion, declare a holy fast, call a sacred assembly.” (Joel 2:15)

Many will look at these passages in frustration, realizing they do not have the means or voice to warn a nation. But you can give warning where you are. You can speak to those in your sphere of influence about what you are seeing and what you believe the Lord is saying in our nation. It might be quiet conversations with neighbors or posts online to those whom you know and care about. Giving warning of coming danger does not always mean standing in the street and shouting. For most of us, it is lovingly letting others know what you believe is happening and how to prepare for that spiritually and maybe even physically.

Men of the tribe of Issachar in the Old Testament were described as those who understood the times and knew what Israel must do (see 1 Chron. 12:32). That is our role today. Understanding the times, but not leaving it at just understanding. It is also knowing what the people of God must do during those times. Perhaps a very practical prayer for the Church today is that God would make us as the sons of Issachar, understanding the times and knowing how to live in those times.

Though God certainly can demonstrate His perspective to us without any sort of human input, my strong suggestion is that He works more often through knowledge than through lack of knowledge. By this I mean, we will be more likely to gain clarity about what God thinks if we are carefully and closely watching what is already happening in the world. When a working knowledge of world or national events is wed with the Spirit of God, the result is always more understanding.

Rather than watching the news or reading the newspaper and shaking your head over bad events, why not add a prayer for discernment to your watching and reading? As world events unfold, instead of submitting to despair or anger, seek the Lord’s insight over what is occurring. The result will be an understanding of the times in which we live.

The biblical text, however, does not end with the men of Issachar merely understanding the times. They also knew what Israel should do. This adds wisdom to knowledge. Knowing information is one thing. Having the wisdom to know what to do with that knowledge is immensely valuable.

We live in troubled times where there is little understanding of the times. There is probably even less wisdom to know how to deal with those times. How should the people of God live in these days? What sort of direction should the church take in the midst of the confusion of our days? If we as the people of God do not even know who we are or where we are going, how can we speak with a strong prophetic voice to our society?

Jesus gave signs to help us understand where we are in the flow of history. These were not so much given as a prediction, but as awareness and a call to prayer and action. The entire chapters of Matthew 24-25 are signs, both of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD, as well as of his coming. The tendency of so many Christians is to blithely say, “Well, no one knows the day or hour so I’m not going to spend any time on that.” That attitude somehow assumes that Jesus gave signs for no good reason.

It’s not for prediction, but preparedness. Paul clearly teaches us, “But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober” (1 Thess. 5:4-6).

Whether it is end times events that we face, or remedial judgments for our national sins, the watchman Church must not be unaware. The call is to watch and pray.

Lord, please help me to understand the times in which I live. May I not be dependent upon others’ opinions but always seek after Your accurate perspective of what is happening in my world. Give me wisdom in this hour so that I will not lack courage to speak up and sound the alarm. Help me to be awake and sober-minded to answer Your call to “watch and pray.”

Prayer Points

Praise God that your sighing is not hidden from him (Ps. 38:9). Give thanks that you can cast all your care on him because he cares for you (1 Pet. 5:7). Confess to God the many times you worry, are fearful, or trust in something other than God (Ps. 37:5-6). Commit yourself to daily food from God’s Word and time with him in prayer. Ask God for victorious faith that overcomes the world (1 Jn. 5:4).

Pray that your church will be living proof of the fact that God fulfills the desires of those who fear him (Ps. 145:19).

PRAY FOR THE NATION RESOURCE: Pray into America’s Future! Most Christians believe that much prayer is needed for our nation. But most don’t know how to pray in an effective way that will release the power of God on behalf of our nation. Weaving together Scriptures and stories from America’s past, With One Cry: A Renewed Challenge to Pray for America by David Butts confronts our current situation and provides hope for our future. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

November 14: Flash Points for Prayer

Listed below are areas of controversy, disagreement, division—and sometimes outright hostility—in our nation. Some would pick other issues than what are listed here, but it is important to pray with repentance, discernment and strength over at least these seven areas:

• The life of the unborn
  • The nature of marriage and family
  • Religious freedom
  • The U.S. relationship with Israel
  • The growing threat of terrorism and the fear and mistrust it brings
  • Racism and its growing divisiveness
  • The idolatry of tolerance—and the resulting intolerance for those who disagree with prevailing ideas. This issue greatly impacts the other flash points.

Prayer rarely stops after the “amen.” When we passionately cry out to God over any issue, we should, with integrity, also find ourselves praying, “Lord, if there is any way You can use me to be an answer to this prayer, here I am.”

Father, our world is so difficult and divided right now. Even Your people are in disagreement, and we are fighting one another instead of treating each other with love and respect. Help me to stand upon the truth of Your word, and to obey it! Give me great love for people who treat me badly because of this obedience and prompt me to pray for them. Show me how to do as much good as I can when so many are choosing their own preferences over Yours. Use me to be Your hands and feet…and to be salt and light in a culture that has turned its back on Your word.

Prayer Points

Praise God that you are his temple (1 Cor. 3:16). Thank God for the work he’s given you to build up Christ’s body, the church (Eph. 4:16). Confess those times you do not honor God with your body, as he has purchased you with the price of his blood (1 Cor. 6:19-20). Commit yourself to Jesus’ cleansing of your total being (Jn. 13:8-10). Ask God to reveal to you daily the mystery of his glorious riches (Col. 1:26-27).

Pray that your family and friends will not dwell on outward beauty but on the unfading beauty of the inner self, a gentle and quiet spirit (1 Pet. 3:3-4).

Prayer Pointer

“Prayer enlarges the heart until it is capable of containing God’s gift of himself. Ask and seek, and your heart will grow big enough to receive him and keep him as your own.” —Mother Teresa

PRAY FOR THE NATION RESOURCE: Click here to access this free article: Show Me the Proof: A Historical Look at How Prayer Turned the Tide in U.S. History.  

RSS

Start a Reimagine-Journey‼️

--->Your Free Profile

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

• Add a photo  
  • Reply to a discussion  
  • Blog an insight
  • Post an event
  • Watch (and pray) a video
  • Add to our Directory
  • Invite friends/class/