Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

I received permission from Jon Graf to post the daily Connection! prayer devotions on Pray.Network.  These devotions are available as a free e-mail subscription from the Harvest Prayer Ministries website at http://connection.harvestprayer.com/.

I have found these devotionals to be not only inspirational but also great equipping for my own prayer life.  There aren't many devotionals that are actually about prayer - most have a quick prayer at the end and that's about it.  But this one has prayer as its focus.  I thought others on the Network might be interested in it.  I will attempt to post each one daily - although I'll inevitably miss here and there. 

I have previously written a Spotlight blog post on the Connection! devotional; if you're interested, check it out here: http://www.pray.network/profiles/blogs/praynetwork-spotlight-connec....

I hope you enjoy and benefit from this devotional as much as I have.

--Andrew

Views: 1203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nov. 21: Understanding the Place of Prayer

“The LORD looked and was displeased that there was no justice. He saw that there was no one, he was appalled that there was no one to intercede” (Isaiah 59:15-16).

Isaiah 59 speaks of a nation that was in trouble. There was no justice, was in the streets and the righteous were being preyed upon by the wicked. The Lord made His will very clear. He was displeased by what was happening in Israel and desired for matters to be made right. He was waiting for His people to pray, so that salvation and righteousness might be poured out upon the people. But as in Ezekiel 22:30, there was no one to intercede. In this case, however, the Lord allowed Israel to suffer in sin for hundreds of years until His people were redeemed by the coming of the Messiah. God always looks first for an intercessor. It is His plan to accomplish His will on this planet through the prayers of the saints.

It is for this reason that Jesus taught us to pray, “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” God has given us the awesome privilege of partnering with Him in bringing about the advance of His Kingdom on earth.

As we ask ourselves, “why pray?” we can move from a lethargic attitude about prayer to a place of tremendous excitement as we join with God in what He is doing on this planet. Understanding the place of prayer in God’s plan can give us greater motivation and commitment to be the people of prayer that God is calling us to become.

Lord Jesus, You have taught me how to pray and because of Your own example of intercession, I should be thrilled to join You in this incredible privilege!  Move my heart to be committed rather than simply convinced that prayer is powerful and effective.  Help my weakness to be perfected in Your strength and continue to teach me to pray! 

Prayer Points

Praise God, the one who is your “light” and your “salvation” (Ps. 27:1). Thank him for shining his saving light in your darkness. Confess times when you’ve preferred to live in the darkness of sinful actions and habits rather than in the light of Jesus. Commit yourself anew to living in his light. Ask God to surround you every day this week with his light and salvation.

Pray for Christian ministries which bring healing light into some of our society’s darkest corners. Pray for those who work with the homeless, with substance abusers, with the poor, with persons in mental institutions, and others. Ask that the love of Jesus will soothe every hurting heart.

–Adapted from the article Partnering with God in Prayer by Dave Butts, author of the book Desperate for Change: Forty Days of Prayer for America. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Harvest Prayer Ministries has a brand new website with many articles and prayer helps! You can also find multiple ways to help your church take steps toward become a house of prayer for all nations!

Please share Connection!  with others who might be blessed by it!

Nov. 22: The Arrival of Christ

“Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn” (Isaiah 60:1-3).

Steve Hawthorne suggests revival might be renamed arrival. It’s as if Christ “shows up” in His Church afresh to recapture us and reconquer us.

Isaiah 60 suggests God’s glory was already breaking over Israel like a sunrise, exposing many dimensions of His Kingdom purposes to them. What they needed to do was “rise and shine” and seize the day.

That’s why biblical texts frequently use the motif of encounter to describe spiritual renewal. We find this in Isaiah’s picture of a future when God would rend the heavens like a garment, visibly descending like a fire upon saints and nations alike (Isa. 64).

The Puritans coined a great phrase to define the “arrival” experience. They called such seasons “the manifest presence of Christ.” Here is how they reasoned: First, they said, there is Christ’s essential presence. That is, Christ is everywhere present all the time. He is unavoidable.

Second, they also talked about Christ’s cultivated presence. Christians can enrich their sense of fellowship with Him as they abide in Him day by day, faithfully obeying Him. We can cultivate a deeper knowledge of the Lord through Bible study and prayer, for example. As we do, Christ shows Himself to be much more present in our lives than we had realized.

The manifest presence of Christ, however, was something else altogether. This was the Puritans’ third term for those times when God reveals His Son to a new generation of His people. He does so in such dramatic fashion that it almost seems as if Christ has been hiding from us until that moment. Then suddenly He reinserts Himself among us. He arrives, in other words.

Or, as I define it, revival is a “Christ-awakening movement.” It is God’s people waking up to God’s Son for all He is, not only individually but also corporately; not only in a moment but for a season. Revival ultimately becomes a movement with wide-reaching impact on society as well as among the nations.

Light of the World, how I long for a “Christ-awakening moment” in my life! May Your “unavoidable presence” transform my life and propel me into Your kingdom purposes. May Your glory appear over Your people in the midst of our darkened culture as we cultivate Your presence in our lives. Draw near Lord Christ, and change us forever.

Prayer Points

Praise God for all his mighty works (Ps. 46:8-10), for his power, his majesty, his magnificent splendor over all the earth. Thank God for this psalm’s very clear and uplifting picture of God’s grandeur. Confess that you sometimes live as if God were small, powerless, and expendable. Commit yourself to serving this grand and glorious God with humility and reverence. Ask God to reveal something of his splendor in your life this week.

Pray that “the works of the Lord” might be so evident as to draw unbelievers to saving faith in Jesus Christ. Ask for spiritual blinders to be removed.

—Adapted from the article: Fully Alive to the Glory of Christ: An Exceptional Season of God’s ... by David Bryant; published in Issue 2 of Prayer Connect Magazine.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Harvest Prayer Ministries has a brand new website with many articles and prayer helps! You can also find multiple ways to help your church take steps toward become a house of prayer for all nations!

Nov. 23: Don’t Abandon Heaven

THANKSGIVING BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY FROM CONNECTION!

“Summon your power, God; show us your strength, our God, as you have done before” (Psalm 68:28).

We will begin to experience personal victory as we enter into the private chambers of prayer. We must enter regularly and consistently. We must long for fellowship with Him. To do otherwise is rebellion. In essence it is saying, “I don’t need You, Father. I can live today without Your strength and power.”

E. M. Bounds stated it more forcefully when he said, “Prayer is loyalty to God. Non-praying is to reject Christ and abandon heaven. A life of prayer is the only life which heaven counts.” No wonder there are so many struggling, defeated Christians today. We have abandoned the throne of heaven. We have substituted technology for “kneeology.” We would rather have emotional excitement than daily fellowship with the Creator.

We will not only secure victory for ourselves, but we can also see God transform our friends and our communities through prayer. The greatest work to be done for society will be the work of prayer. Nineteenth-century evangelist D. L. Moody said, “Those who have left the deepest impression on this sin cursed earth have been men and women of prayer. You will find that prayer has been the mighty power that has moved not only God, but man.”

God of Heaven, forgive me for abandoning Your strength and power in favor of my own ideas and plans.  When things are going well, I set You aside until there is a crisis!  May I be transformed by the deep understanding of Your Presence in my life continually so that my prayers reflect Your heart! 

Prayer Points

Praise God, the one who is never far away from his children. Thank him for being close to you when you feel brokenhearted or crushed in spirit (Ps. 34:18). Confess your own unwillingness to have a God so near. Commit yourself to drawing near to God in daily prayer and fellowship (Jas. 4:8). Ask him to bless you by his presence throughout your life.

Intercede for the great worldwide mission effort of the church. Ask God to raise up more workers to enter the harvest around the world. Pray specifically for missionaries whom you know or support financially.

Prayer Pointer

“God does nothing on earth save in answer to believing prayer.” —John Wesley

–Adapted from The Prayer Factor by Sammy Tippit. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Nov. 24: Abiding

“We don’t pray about things. We bring things about by prayer.” —Armin Gesswein

It is more than abundantly clear that the Lord Jesus did not regularly pray any “if it be Your will” kinds of prayers. His relationship with His Father was such that He simply knew exactly what to pray into existence (for that is the role of prayer in a life yielded to God). He did what the Gospel of John calls “abiding” or “remaining” in His God. Their fellowship was so very rich and so intimate that nothing Jesus did was His action alone, but His action as an expression of the Father’s. Numerous passages make this one clear.

Perhaps the clearest testimony to this reality is when Jesus said, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30, NIV). Some texts, especially in John’s gospel, point this reality out clearly for our purposes of prayer.

Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner. For the Father loves the Son and shows Him all things that He Himself does . . .

I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of the Father who sent Me. (John 5:19-20, 30, NKJV)

Once again, this indicates that the will is based both on knowing the clear teaching of Scripture, and more importantly, on cultivating a relationship with God that is intimate and ongoing.

Lord Jesus, You did nothing apart from the Father and yet I am continually living out my life in my own strength and counting on my own wisdom. Forgive me for the sin of my prideful heart and give me a deep desire to humbly seek Your face. Stretch me into the purposes of Your will for the sake of Your glory!

Prayer Points

Praise God, the one who strengthens and helps you (Isa. 41:10). Give thanks for God’s promise to be with you when you “pass through the rivers” or “walk through the fire” (Isa. 43:2). Confess those times when you’ve doubted God’s loving presence and care. Commit yourself to trusting in God to protect and defend you. Ask him to increase your faith.

Pray for the political leaders of your country. Ask that they will be men and women of integrity and honor. Pray that their primary allegiance will be to God alone.

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Nov. 25: Celebrating God through Prayer

“I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. I will glory in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together” (Psalm 34:1-3).

To celebrate means to honor or praise publicly.” God deserves honor and praise more than anyone or anything else. The great Scottish preacher Alexander Whyte used to counsel his hearers to “think magnificently of God.” People who think magnificently of God, calling to mind his greatness and goodness, cannot help but celebrate God and declare his praise.

To celebrate God means at least three things:

First, it means recognizing God for who he is. God’s glory is his majestic splendor shining out so it can be seen and known. When we glorify God, we don’t give him anything. We don’t add luster to him. That’s as impossible as it is to add splendor to a sunset by viewing it. But we can gaze in wonder at a sunset, and similarly we can behold in awe the beauty and glory of the Lord.

Second, it means loving God for who he is. This means laying aside our concerns, our demands, and our prayer lists to focus on God and to enjoy him. Nothing does more to quell pride, self-centeredness, and selfish desires than to focus beyond ourselves on God alone.

Third, celebrating God means giving God the only thing we can offer him – our loving, praising hearts. He already has everything else. He is totally self-sufficient and needs nothing from us. But God does ask us to give to him our hearts, our love and our adoration. When we do, he is pleased and blessed.

Praiseworthy God, I honor You for all that You are. Thank You for revealing Your glory and for giving Your people reasons to boast about You. Help me to see Your majestic splendor more fully so that I may enjoy and love You more with each day that passes.

Prayer Points

Praise God, the one who keeps you in perfect peace (Isa. 26:3). Give thanks for peace which is far beyond your understanding (Phil. 4:7). Confess that you sometimes look to the world to bring you peace rather than to God. Commit yourself to living in peace with others (1 Thess. 5:13). Ask God to give you a peaceable spirit.

Jesus promises to give his peace to those who believe in faith (Jn. 14:27). Pray for one unsaved person you know to receive Jesus’ precious peace.

–Adapted from Be Jesus in Your Neighborhood: Developing a Prayer, Care, Share Lifestyle in 30 Days by Alvin VanderGriend. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Nov. 26: Prayer and a Holy Life

Holiness – it is a subject that seems to have been lost in the shuffle at the end of the second millennium. It has been forgotten in light of the fact that most of us aren’t living holy lives and have, therefore, very little to say to others about holiness.

Why am I talking about holiness as related to prayer? For too long I have focused on giving people the tools to pray better and more effectively, not realizing that without holiness, prayers can go unanswered. This is not telling God what He can’t do…He can do whatever He wants. Instead, it is recognizing that God normally does not answer the prayers of those who are not making every effort to walk in holiness. God Himself lays it out for us very clearly in His Word:

“If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.” (Psalm 66:18)

“Your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear.” (Isaiah 59:2)

“Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God his Savior. Such is the generation of those who seek Him, who seek Your face, O God of Jacob.” (Psalm 24:3-6)

Holy God, how often I have barged into Your Presence unprepared and unrepentant!  Draw my heart towards a life of holiness before You and transform my heart so that I might ascend the hill of the Lord and stand in the holy place of prayer. 

Prayer Points

Give praise to God who is the ruler of all things (1 Chron. 29:12). Thank him for his mighty and powerful acts. Confess times when you’ve questioned God’s power by trusting in your own strength. Commit yourself to exalting God in everything you do this week. Ask him to give you strength to live for him.

Pray by name for an unsaved friend, relative, or coworker. Ask God to open this person’s spiritual eyes to the wonder of new life in Christ.

Prayer Pointer

“Prayer is obedience! God’s command and promise is our motive for prayer.” —John Calvin

–Adapted from the article Personal Holiness: Unlocking the Door to Effective Prayer by Dave Butts,  author of the book Desperate for Change: Forty Days of Prayer for America. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Dec. 03: Devotion for the First Sunday of Advent!

Ask God for a fresh revelation of the significance of the incarnation. Commit to Him in prayer, your desire to be still this Advent season and know that He is God.

Thank You Father that Jesus became flesh and lived among us, and that His glory was revealed! Father, thank You for sending Jesus, Your own Son, in the likeness of sinful man, to be a sin offering for me, providing the way for me to become Your child.  Jesus the Messiah is born!

You alone Lord Jesus are Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father and Prince of Peace.  It is in You alone, Lord Jesus that all the fullness of God dwells, and through You alone that I have been reconciled to God because of Your shed blood on the cross! I confess Lord Jesus, that You alone are the way to God the Father, you alone are the truth and the life. No longer am I alienated from God, but instead, because of Your sacrifice for me, I am now presented as holy in the Father’s sight, without blemish and free from accusation! Help me I pray to continue in my faith, established and standing firm. Empower me by Your Spirit, to convey this “gospel-hope” to those around me. May the light of Jesus and the gospel so shine from my life to others that they will turn and glorify You Father.

Forgive me, I pray for the ways that I have allowed the light of Christ in me, to be diminished–for You have said Lord Jesus that if the light within me is darkness, how great is that darkness! You Lord Jesus, who is the light of the world, and has entrusted me with the light of the gospel–shine through me!

Fill me with Your compassion for those around me, and help me to love like You love.  Destroy complacency and the desire for comfort in me. Change me that I might be willing to be inconvenienced for the sake of others and the gospel.  Open my eyes to the needs of those around me, and may I be one who invests in what is eternal.

By Your Spirit, may I always be prepared to give the reason for the hope that I have. You, Lord Jesus are my hope. But may I always do so with gentleness and respect, that the incarnation of the gospel may be lived out through me. As I enter this season, celebrating Your coming Lord Jesus–the first Advent, I pray that the wonder of Your coming to earth would capture my heart once again. Fill me with child-like awe and inexpressible joy. I ask this in Your mighty name.  The name of Jesus, Amen.

(John 1:14; Romans 8:3; John 1:12; Isaiah 9:6; John 14:6; Colossians 1:19-23; Matthew 5:16; Matthew 6:23; 1 John 2:15; Matthew 9:36; 1 Peter 3:15)

Prayer Points

Praise God for his overruling love (2 Cor. 5:14). Give thanks that God’s love compels you to do things which please him. Confess those times when you have chosen not to listen to God’s words and direction. Commit yourself to worshiping God, for his power over those things that destroy love. Ask God to reveal his overruling love in your daily life.

Pray that Satan’s opposition will be bound so that men and women of all nations will see God’s powerful love.

This Advent prayer was written by Tiece L. King, the author of Pray the Word. Find this resource at Prayershop.org.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Christmas Gift Idea:

Are you, or is someone you know, struggling to find peace in the midst of life’s circumstances this Christmas season?  Give the gift of peace through this new, powerful devotional: Prayer, Peace and the Presence of God: A 30-Day Journey to Experience the Shalom of Jesus by David Butts. It was written in the midst of a cancer battle but applies to all of the struggles believers face each day to find the “peace that passes understanding.”

Nov. 27: Revival Is a Coronation

“Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: ‘To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!’ The four living creatures said, ‘Amen,’ and the elders fell down and worshiped” (Revelation 5:13-14).

One could almost say that revival is like a coronation. In other words, it leads believers to reaffirm their wholehearted devotion to the Lamb who sits on the Throne (Rev. 5). It reconnects them to His marching orders as their King. It serves as a powerful sign of the supremacy of Christ. The renewing reality of revival should be basically defined as this: Jesus expressing Himself more fully to His people as Lord.

In fact, one cannot think rightly about revival at all if one does not think rightly about the glory of God’s Son, Jesus Christ. He is the criterion by which we measure both revival’s legitimacy and its impact. The final revival will emerge from fresh in-breakings of Christ’s sovereign dominion before every creature in heaven and earth.

But until that final consummation, our Redeemer intends to continue invading His Church, extending His Lordship among us, regaining the praise He rightfully deserves, and enlarging His mission through us among all earth’s peoples.

According to Jonathan Edwards, revival is one of the most exciting expressions of Christ’s supremacy any Christian can experience until He comes again. It is prior and primary. It is the prelude to all other manifestations of Christ’s reign for, in, and through His people.

Many believe a gracious “Christ Awakening” even now is bearing down on top of us, in answer to today’s unprecedented global prayer movement. May it be so!

King Jesus, my Redeemer, Your dominion is sovereign and my heart bows before You. How I long for You to break into my life in powerful and life-changing ways! Reignite my desire to seek You in fresh ways so that You might shake the foundations of my comfortable life and challenge me to live a life that reflects Your glory to a dying world. You alone deserve praise and honor and glory and power for ever and ever! 

Prayer Points

Praise the infinite God who has no beginning and no end. Thank God that with him all things are possible (Lk. 1:37). Confess any lack of faith concerning God’s ways and works. Commit yourself anew to living obediently before God. Ask him to keep your eyes focused on Jesus.

Pray for justice and righteousness to come to the nations of this world which seek to block the work of the Lord (Ps. 2:1-2). Ask that their rulers will bow to Jesus and begin to serve him (2:10-11; Isa. 60:3).

—Adapted from the article: Fully Alive to the Glory of Christ: An Exceptional Season of God’s Extraordinary Work by David Bryant; published in Issue 2 of Prayer Connect Magazine.

Nov. 28: Authority in His Name

“Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete” (John 16:14).

By offering to let us pray in his name, Jesus is offering an amazingly great privilege. It’s as if he is giving us blank checks to be drawn on his account, knowing we will use them for his honor and his advantage.

Jesus is demonstrating great trust in us. He is trusting that his honor and his interests are safe in our hands. Consider what it would mean to place your estate in the hands of another person: your credit cards, your home, your investments, your car, your responsibilities, everything. You’d pick that person very carefully, wouldn’t you? You’d really be giving that person control over your life and your future.

That’s essentially what Jesus did when he authorized us to use his name in prayer. He gave us authority over his accounts. He asked us to exercise control over his estate – the kingdom of God.

We exercise our authority by prayer. By prayer, we ask the Father for all we need in order to do the job. By prayer, we ask God to deal with demonic forces contrary to his will. By prayer, we direct God’s grace and power to strategic locations where it is needed.

The Father so loves the Son that when we introduce the Son’s name in prayer, we have his ear, we have secured his willingness, and we have touched his heart.

Lord Jesus, it is such a mystery that You have given us authority to seek the heart of the Father in Your name. It awes me that this divine partnership touches people and situations all over the earth and accomplishes Your purposes. May I never take for granted this amazing privilege of prayer, and may I always be worthy of Your trust!

Prayer Points

Praise God as the one whose arm is “not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear” (Isa. 59:1). Thank God for the promise to hear you when you come to him in prayer. Confess any sin which may result in his not hearing your prayers (59:2). If you are struggling in this area, commit yourself to regular, daily times of prayer and fellowship with God. Ask him to draw close to you as you fellowship with him.

God has long arms when it comes to salvation. No one is beyond his reach. Thank him for that truth and pray for one unsaved person you know.

Prayer Pointer

“Ministry without prayer becomes work in the power of the flesh. Prayer without ministry is complacent Christianity.” —Anonymous

–Adapted from Be Jesus in Your Neighborhood: Developing a Prayer, Care, Share Lifestyle in 30 Days by Alvin VanderGriend. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Nov. 29: God Can Help Them More

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen” (Ephesians 3:20-21).

Through the prayers of his wife, a former coworker of mine accepted Christ. For many months his wife was concerned about his spiritual welfare. She continually witnessed to him, but he did not respond. Finally, she quit talking to him about God and started talking to God about him. He then surrendered his life to Jesus. He has been a faithful witness and minister of the gospel ever since.

God is able to do far beyond anything that we can imagine. As much as we may love friends and family members, God loves them more. As much as we desire to help them, God can help them more. He can bring circumstances into their lives that will lead them to the cross. For the sake of our friends and family we must pray.

Loving Father, Your love is impossible to comprehend! So often I want to fix the lives of those I love and care about, when You want so much more for them than I could ever do in my own strength. Teach me to seek Your best for others rather than attempting to convince them with my words. May I continually be compelled to bring those I care for to Your throne.

Prayer Points

Praise the God who loves even the little children (Lk. 18:16). Give thanks for God’s promise in Prov. 22:6 to help parents train their children in the right way. Confess any lack of love or any impatience you have experienced toward your children or others. Commit yourself to a renewed appreciation for the place children have in God’s sight. Ask for wisdom to train your children in his ways.

Ask God to “turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers” (Mal. 4:6) throughout his kingdom.

–Adapted from The Prayer Factor by Sammy Tippit. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Nov. 30: Pray for the Rain to Fall

Then Elijah said to King Ahab, “Now, go and eat. I hear the roar of rain approaching.” While Ahab went to eat, Elijah climbed to the top of Mount Carmel, where he bowed down to the ground, with his head between his knees. He said to his servant, “Go and look toward the sea.” The servant went and returned, saying, “I didn’t see a thing.” Seven times Elijah told him to go and look. The seventh time he returned and said, “I saw a little cloud no bigger than a man’s hand, coming up from the sea.” Elijah ordered his servant, “Go to King Ahab and tell him to get in his chariot and go back home before the rain stops him.” In a little while the sky was covered with dark clouds, the wind began to blow, and a heavy rain began to fall. (1 Kings 18:41-45, GNT)

God initiates, and we respond. Elijah’s life was based on that principle. He had been told by God to show himself to wicked King Ahab so that God could send rain on the earth (1 Kings 18:1).

It sounded so very simple. Show up, speak to the king and it will rain. In fact, it was far more complex than that. Elijah had to “pray into existence” what God was telling him was to come to pass.

After rebuking (and in fact embarrassing) the false faith of the king and the false prophets through proclaiming a three-year drought and calling down fire from the sky, Elijah declared to the king that the rain was about to fall. He did that based on the fact that God had told him to say this. But it is the method used by Elijah that helps us today.

Elijah had a life based on prayer and obedience. From his knowledge of the Law of Moses, he knew it was the will of God that Israel turn from worshiping other gods. When they did, God’s blessing of rain could be restored.

Notice what occurred. Elijah had some kind of an auditory experience in the Spirit realm. He “heard” the rain coming. In fact, so strong was his conviction that he declared the sound of the rain and the approach of the storm to the king, long in advance of it happening. Remember, the land was parched from three years of drought.

Then, instead of simply waiting for the rain to fall based on the Word of the Lord to him, Elijah prayed for the very thing he knew God wanted to send.

Mighty God, Your word says that Elijah was a person just like me (James 5:17).  So often I think I can’t pray like those who are in Scripture, but You want to hear my voice and speak to me just like You spoke to Elijah.  Help my unbelief so that I will be faithful in prayer.    

Prayer Points

Praise the God who knows your sinful ways, but is still there to heal, guide, and comfort you (Isa. 57:18). Give thanks for God’s constant faithfulness. Confess any sinful deeds or thoughts that have remained unconfessed. Commit yourself to seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit every day. Ask him to walk close beside you today.

Pray for an opportunity in the next day to share your faith with someone who does not know Jesus. Ask God to give you courage and boldness in your witness.

Prayer Pointer

“The church’s greatest deficiency today is in power—not in programs, strategies, materials, or ideas. And power for ministry can be released only through prayer.” — Anonymous

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Dec. 01: Living Life in Him

The living Word of God, Jesus Christ, lives within me, and Scripture compels me to live my life in Him: “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him” (Colossians 2:6).  As rejoicing and thankfulness take root in my spirit, I will become equipped to offer my body as a living sacrifice for His sake:  “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.  Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will” (Romans 12:1-2).

As I ponder this, it seems the most practical thing I can do is to humbly and earnestly call upon the indwelling Spirit of God to meet me in every moment, mundane or significant, joyful or sad, peace-filled or fearful, quiet or filled with turmoil…He is God, and He lives within me! May I truly be transformed so that Your perfect will is shaped within me for the purposes of Your kingdom.  Here is a prayer I can offer as a pleasing sacrifice to God who lives in me…a prayer for my everyday life!

Indwelling Spirit of God, I offer my body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to You as my true and proper worship. In every moment, I long to be continually transformed as You renew my mind and focus it upon Your good, pleasing and perfect will. Teach me to be attentive to Your voice no matter what I am doing, and help me to be fully obedient to the purposes of Your heart.

Prayer Points

Praise God, who is a refuge for the poor and needy (Isa.25:4). Thank him for caring about those who are in desperate circumstances. Confess times when you have not shown compassion to the needy. Commit yourself to serving others in new and stretching ways. Ask God to provide those opportunities for you.

Ask God to anoint the fellowship in your congregation with the Holy Spirit. Pray that any friction between members will be addressed and healed. Pray that newcomers will find a refuge in your congregation.

–By Kim Butts, author of The Praying Family.  Click here to read Dave and Kim’s free blogs.    

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Christmas Idea: We want to offer you a free PDF of the Advent Prayer Guide, Preparing Our Hearts for the Coming of the Christ Child. Simply download and pray through the Christmas season!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

START HERE TO . . .

Add a photo?  Reply to a discussion?  Blog an insight? Post an event? Watch (and pray) a video? Join a group? Invite my friends/class/?

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

Videos

• Add Videos

Partners in Prayer

Visit  

LOVE2020.COM

Pray

...right here, right now

Follow  @MakeLoveYourAim

Workshop Video

Impacting Cities & Communities thru Prayer