Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

Small or large, charismatic or evangelical, liturgical or contemporary ...

Every congregation is called to be a house of prayer for all nations (Isaiah 56:7) ...

It has also said that every church prays but not every church is a praying church ...

So we ask,

• What are the characteristics of a praying church?
  • What were the steps or stages in becoming a praying church?
  • How has a prayer culture become more highly valued in small groups, study classes, ministry meetings?
  • Who has the Lord used as a champion of prayer in your church?
  • Which resources provided insight and/or ideas?

Join the conversation below - -

Views: 381

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lord Jesus Christ' ministry wasn't just about prayer. Many pray-ers miss this point. He prayed, slept, took action and reflected which led to the next days prayers.

With this in mind, pray-ers forget to take action and reflect. Praying is active in the spiritual realm, in the physical realm we move out like Johnathan and his armorer bearer did. Johnathan didn't act until his armor bearer agreed.

Many people who pray refuse to agree out loud with anothers prayers in case it is "against God' Will". I have seen non-believers healed and believers not healed because of the issue of what God' Will is. Many Christians believe it is God' Will for them to be sick. For some that know better they believe otherwise yet no one will agree with them also hampering them. Also like in Daniel' event where he had to pray over 3 weeks before the answer could be made. We have to persist in the battle.

Great questions Phil.  Thanks for asking.

The true characteristic of a praying church can be discovered when the Pastor leads by example in prayer, provides biblical teaching on prayer based upon Old Testament and New Testament principles.  Once prayer has been modeled in the life of a Pastor and is permeated through the lives of Elders, Deacons, and through the congregation where prayer is experienced as a relationship with Father God through Jesus Christ, and not as a program, then we can see a church that can be called a praying church.

Based upon my experiences in my current church and other churches I have been a part of, I have experienced people who have a passion for prayer to pray about prayer – pray that the Lord will raise up a generation of people after His heart who will pray for revival and pray for the things that are on His heart – to know, love Him, His people and all creation.    Getting good biblical teachings is very important in bringing understanding of why prayer is important.

Prayer becomes valued when people see the faithfulness of the Lord through answered prayers and it motivates people who have passions to pray to connect with multiple small groups in my church.

Our pastor is the primary champion of prayer in my church, but the Lord has actually used multiple champions of young adults, middle aged adults and as well as senior adults.

"These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer..." - Acts 1:14a

I have always liked the definition of prayer taken from the Westminster Shorter Catechism: "Prayer is the offering up of our desires unto God for things agreeable to His will." It is the single most important index of our devotion to Jesus and our effectiveness in His work. Through prayer, we get to know the heart of our Father in heaven and His priorities for our world.

On a primary level this means that prayer is not to be used to get God's attention, have Him come into our presence, or respond to our desires. Prayer is God wanting to hold our attention and reveal His will to us. Prayer is the platform on which God engages us in intimacy. It is taking every moment and saying, “Not my will but thine be done.”  It is the surrender of egotism and the offering of our lives to God–what Saint Francis called being “an instrument of Your peace.”

Almost everything else about prayer emerges from these elements.  In them, we find the foundation for both personal and corporate prayer.

RSS

Start a Reimagine-Journey‼️

--->Your Free Profile

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

• Add a photo  
  • Reply to a discussion  
  • Blog an insight
  • Post an event
  • Watch (and pray) a video
  • Add to our Directory
  • Invite friends/class/