Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

Books (and other resources) have had a profound impact on my understanding and experience of prayer and praying.  You too?

*Share one item per post:
  • Title
  • Author
  • Publisher
  • Link (URL) to a webpage for purchase or more information
  • Comments: share the author's insights (or theories or ideas), your observations (emphasize what is good and beneficial), insert a quote or two ...
  • Recommended for: personal growth, training prayer team members, reference, or ____ ?
*Comment on previous posts

Views: 248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recently read "In Constant Prayer" by Robert Benson. He introduces the ancient practice of the daily office; after reading the book I felt led to begin praying the offices during Lent, well, actually I felt led to pray at least two of them a day. It has been such a blessing and I plan to continue the discipline.

Richard Foster's book "Prayer, Finding the Heart's True Home" has also spoken to me. Its a great overview of the various types of prayer and I find myself returning to specific chapters of the book again and again.
I will enjoy looking for the book you mentioned, Stormie is an amazing writer with great wisdom

Angela Marshall said:
I love Stormie Omartian's book.. "The Prayer That Changes Everything". I love this book, because it has helped me understand that prayer and worship are all interconnected, and not to treat them as two separate things. Good stuff.

http://www.stormieomartian.com/product_details.html?product_name=It...
Principles of Prayer
Charles G. Finney, edited by L.G. Parkhurst, Jr.
Bethany House Publishers
http://astore.amazon.com/smithworksorg/detail/076422476X

This is one of the first books that showed me what is true prayer. Parkhurst took extracts from Finney's Revival Lectures, and formed them into a little daily devotional book (simple short sections).

Finney shows the necessity of prevailing prayer -- prayer that obtains its answer. He shows by what principles we should prayer, and why God answers such prayers. Here are a couple of examples:

=====================

2. Pray for Something Definite
Many people go away into their rooms alone "to pray," simply because "they must say their prayers." The time has come when they are in the habit of going by themselves for prayer - in the morning, or at noon, or at whatever time of day it may be. But instead of having anything to say, any definite object before their mind, they fall down on their knees and pray for just what comes into their minds - for everything that floats in the imagination at the time, and when they have done they can hardly tell a word of what they have been praying for. This is not effectual prayer. What should we think of anybody who should try to move a Legislature so, and should say: "Now it is winter, and the Legislature is in session, and it is time to send up petitions," and should go up to the Legislature and petition at random, without any definite object? Do you think such petitions would move the Legislature?

A man must have some definite object before his mind. He cannot pray effectually for a variety of objects at once. The mind is so constituted that it cannot fasten its desires intensely upon many things at the same time. All the instances of effectual prayer recorded in the Bible are of this kind. Wherever you see that the blessing sought for in prayer was attained, you will find that the prayer which was offered was prayer for that definite object.

6. How to Pray a Prayer of Faith
1. You must first obtain evidence that God will bestow the blessing. How did Daniel make out to offer the prayer of faith? He searched the Scriptures. Now, you need not let your Bible lie on a shelf, and expect God to reveal His promises to you. "Search the Scriptures," and see where you can get either a general or special promise, or a prophecy, on which you can plant your feet. Go through your Bible, and you will find it full of such precious promises, which you may plead in faith.

I could name many individuals who have set themselves to examine the Bible on this subject, who, before they got half through with it, have been filled with the spirit of prayer. They found that God meant by His promises just what a plain, common-sense man would understand them to mean. I advise you to try it. You have Bibles; look them over, and whenever you find a promise that you can use, fasten it in your mind before you go on; and you will not get through the Book without finding out that God's promises mean just what they say.

2. Cherish the good desires you have. Christians very often lose their good desires by not attending to this; and then their prayers are mere words, without any desire or earnestness at all. The least longing of desire must be cherished. If your body were likely to freeze, and you had even the least spark of fire, how you would cherish it! So, if you have the least desire for a blessing, let it be ever so small, do not trifle it away. Do not lose good desires by levity, by censoriousness, by worldly-mindedness. Watch and pray.

7. How to Pray a Prayer of Faith (Continued)
3. Entire consecration to God is indispensable to the prayer of faith. You must live a holy life, and consecrate all to God - your time, talents, influence - all you have, and all you are, to be His entirely. Read the lives of pious men, and you will be struck with this fact, that they used to set apart times to renew their covenant, and dedicate themselves anew to God; and whenever they have done so, a blessing has always followed immediately. If I had President Edwards' works here, I could read passages showing how it was in his days.

4. You must persevere. You are not to pray for a thing once and then cease, and call that the prayer of faith. Look at Daniel. He prayed twenty-one days, and did not cease till he had obtained the blessing. He set his heart and his face unto the Lord, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes; and he held on three weeks, and then the answer came. And why did not it come before? God sent an Archangel to bear the message, but the devil hindered him all this time. See what Christ says in the Parable of the Unjust Judge, and the Parable of the Loaves. What does He teach us by them? Why, that God will grant answers to prayer when it is importunate. "Shall not God avenge His own elect, which cry day and night unto Him?" (Luke 18:7.)

If you would pray in faith, be sure to walk every day with God. If you do, He will tell you what to pray for. Be filled with His Spirit, and He will give you objects enough to pray for. He will give you as much of the spirit of prayer as you have strength of body to bear.

========================

This book is recommended for anyone wanting to learn more about how to pray.
Prayer: Asking and Receiving
John R. Rice
Sword of the Lord Publishers
http://astore.amazon.com/smithworksorg/detail/0873986555
http://books.google.com/

This was the second book on prayer that really changed the way I thought about prayer. John R. Rice has one basic premise: "Prayer is asking. Answered prayer is receiving."

Too many Christians pray and never receive what they ask for, or they pray and "leave it in God's hands to answer as He knows best." But Scripture paints another picture of prayer. When someone prayed in Scripture, they received exactly what they asked for.

(To my knowledge, there are three "No" answers to prayer in Scripture, and in each case all three people prayed against the known will of God: David with his son; Jesus and "this cup"; and Paul and the messenger of satan.)

From the beginning of Chapter IV, The Answer to Prayer is Receiving:

===================================

In the preceding chapter I showed that prayer is asking. Prayer is not adoration; it is not meditation; it is not even praise and thanksgiving. Prayer is not just spiritual exercise. No, prayer is asking. There ought to be adoration and meditation and thanksgiving, to be sure, but these are not prayer; prayer is asking. So we are told, "Ye have not, because ye ask not" (Jas. 4:2). We are promised, "Ask, and it shall be given to you" (Matt. 7:7). Many, many Scriptures show that prayer, in the Bible sense, is asking God definitely for something.

Now there is another side to that truth. If prayer is asking, then the answer to prayer must be receiving. It is the will of our loving heavenly Father that we sould be able to come to Him day by day, ask what we want, and receive it.

==================================

This book is great for those wondering if God really answers prayer.

Title:
Yada Yada Prayer Group #1
Author

Neta Jackson

Publisher
Thomas Nelson

Purchase information
Christianbook.com
amazon.com

Production Description
When a diverse group of women get together to chat via e-mail, they have no idea how God's going to change their lives! As they write, their conversations get "too hot," and they decide to meet in person. Ruffled feathers are soothed, and even super-Christian Jodi Baxter learns that we're all sinners, saved by grace!
I am just halfway through reading the first of the series called Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson's.

Publisher's Description
What do an ex-con, a former drug addict, a real estate broker, a college student, and a married mother of two have in common?

Nothing, or so I thought. Who would have imagined that God would make a prayer group as mismatched as ours the closest of friends? I almost didn’t even go the Chicago Women’s Conference--after all, being thrown together with five hundred strangers wasn’t exactly my "comfort zone." But something happened that weekend to make us realize we had to hang together, and the "Yada Yada Prayer Group" was born! When I faced the biggest crisis of my life, God used my newfound Sisters to show me what it means to be just a sinner saved by grace.

The first time my eyes caught attention of this rather funny titled book was through my Women of Faith email subscription. With my curiosity piqued, I decided to do some research on the author and her books found at www.netajackson.com; I was not disappointed. However, I still didn't get this whole Yada Yada thing that characterised her seven series. That was until I purchased the first volume.

While the Yada Yada Prayer Group book is fiction, it is engaging, funny, sad, thought-provoking, God-revealing...It will give readers new perspectives about relationships, prayer, prayer chain, overcoming life's challenges and God himself.

Even though I'm only half way through book, I have already found the book deeply refreshing and my outlook toward prayer, life, relationships is already changing!

I recommend this book to every Christian! (If I could, I would award it 5 stars).
i too love this series. i have been involved in prayer ministries for more years than i care to count, yet when i read this series, i found myself immediately re-reading it at least three times. there were three important things that stood out to me.

one, it centered on a group of women who chose to meet for JUST! prayer. the church body is often overly busy and prayer can be reduced to an invocation at the beginning of a meeting or Bible study, or a very quick closing so that people can hurry up and go home now that the important stuff is done.

second it was a group of women who met together and as they took the risk of opening up about themselves, they began to support one another in prayer. not just during prayer group time, but extending themselves beyond that. for some it overflowed into action, and for some, even into friendship.

third, and perhaps most importantly, the leader of this "yada yada" group {which means fantastic things in hebrew, but i don't want to spoil it for you} is avis, who just so happens to be a worship leader in her church :) she leads them by example through showing them that although each others' cares and concerns are important, she still first launches out into praise for Who God is, and she stays there for a while as the others join in as they're able. then she begins to worship God for what He's done, and moves into such prayers concerning the specific needs mentioned that day. another character speaks Scripture to the situations mentioned... and i'm going to stop there. except for one line from one of the books, this is the jist of it: you've got to get past just believing IN God, and move into believing Him.

i agree with you anastasia, i too would give this series five stars.

one thing though, their website is this one: www.daveneta.com
My wife and her friends have thoroughly enjoyed this book! (the Chicago connection doesn't hurt ...(:>)
Stephen Smith said:
Principles of Prayer
Charles G. Finney, edited by L.G. Parkhurst, Jr.
Bethany House Publishers
http://astore.amazon.com/smithworksorg/detail/076422476X

This is one of the first books that showed me what is true prayer. Parkhurst took extracts from Finney's Revival Lectures, and formed them into a little daily devotional book (simple short sections).

Finney shows the necessity of prevailing prayer -- prayer that obtains its answer. He shows by what principles we should prayer, and why God answers such prayers. Here are a couple of examples:

=====================

2. Pray for Something Definite
Many people go away into their rooms alone "to pray," simply because "they must say their prayers." The time has come when they are in the habit of going by themselves for prayer - in the morning, or at noon, or at whatever time of day it may be. But instead of having anything to say, any definite object before their mind, they fall down on their knees and pray for just what comes into their minds - for everything that floats in the imagination at the time, and when they have done they can hardly tell a word of what they have been praying for. This is not effectual prayer. What should we think of anybody who should try to move a Legislature so, and should say: "Now it is winter, and the Legislature is in session, and it is time to send up petitions," and should go up to the Legislature and petition at random, without any definite object? Do you think such petitions would move the Legislature?

A man must have some definite object before his mind. He cannot pray effectually for a variety of objects at once. The mind is so constituted that it cannot fasten its desires intensely upon many things at the same time. All the instances of effectual prayer recorded in the Bible are of this kind. Wherever you see that the blessing sought for in prayer was attained, you will find that the prayer which was offered was prayer for that definite object.

6. How to Pray a Prayer of Faith
1. You must first obtain evidence that God will bestow the blessing. How did Daniel make out to offer the prayer of faith? He searched the Scriptures. Now, you need not let your Bible lie on a shelf, and expect God to reveal His promises to you. "Search the Scriptures," and see where you can get either a general or special promise, or a prophecy, on which you can plant your feet. Go through your Bible, and you will find it full of such precious promises, which you may plead in faith.

I could name many individuals who have set themselves to examine the Bible on this subject, who, before they got half through with it, have been filled with the spirit of prayer. They found that God meant by His promises just what a plain, common-sense man would understand them to mean. I advise you to try it. You have Bibles; look them over, and whenever you find a promise that you can use, fasten it in your mind before you go on; and you will not get through the Book without finding out that God's promises mean just what they say.

2. Cherish the good desires you have. Christians very often lose their good desires by not attending to this; and then their prayers are mere words, without any desire or earnestness at all. The least longing of desire must be cherished. If your body were likely to freeze, and you had even the least spark of fire, how you would cherish it! So, if you have the least desire for a blessing, let it be ever so small, do not trifle it away. Do not lose good desires by levity, by censoriousness, by worldly-mindedness. Watch and pray.

7. How to Pray a Prayer of Faith (Continued)
3. Entire consecration to God is indispensable to the prayer of faith. You must live a holy life, and consecrate all to God - your time, talents, influence - all you have, and all you are, to be His entirely. Read the lives of pious men, and you will be struck with this fact, that they used to set apart times to renew their covenant, and dedicate themselves anew to God; and whenever they have done so, a blessing has always followed immediately. If I had President Edwards' works here, I could read passages showing how it was in his days.

4. You must persevere. You are not to pray for a thing once and then cease, and call that the prayer of faith. Look at Daniel. He prayed twenty-one days, and did not cease till he had obtained the blessing. He set his heart and his face unto the Lord, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes; and he held on three weeks, and then the answer came. And why did not it come before? God sent an Archangel to bear the message, but the devil hindered him all this time. See what Christ says in the Parable of the Unjust Judge, and the Parable of the Loaves. What does He teach us by them? Why, that God will grant answers to prayer when it is importunate. "Shall not God avenge His own elect, which cry day and night unto Him?" (Luke 18:7.)

If you would pray in faith, be sure to walk every day with God. If you do, He will tell you what to pray for. Be filled with His Spirit, and He will give you objects enough to pray for. He will give you as much of the spirit of prayer as you have strength of body to bear.

========================

This book is recommended for anyone wanting to learn more about how to pray.
I really liked what this had to say and I want to read the Charles G Finney Book you mentioned , what you said is all so true, we need to be people of prayer, I want to be this.
Thankyou
Kellie Sue,

You can probably find it online on some of the Finney sites. It won't be edited like Parkhurst's book, but it won't cost you anything, either. :)

Stephen

Kellie Sue Delabitoria said:
I really liked what this had to say and I want to read the Charles G Finney Book you mentioned , what you said is all so true, we need to be people of prayer, I want to be this.
Thankyou

I believe the most significant study on prayer that has been published in the last decade is Power Praying by David Chotka (PrayerShop Publishing 2009). It is an 8-week study on the Lord's Prayer that offers a completely unique teaching on this powerful model prayer. Every person I have talked to that has read it has said it has changed the way he prays.
Power Praying is great to read by yourself, but it is excellent when used in a small group or Sunday school class. A free study guide is available online and this fall a DVD of Chotka teaching its content will become available. Here's what author-pastor Mark Buchanan said about Power Praying: "The litmus test for any book on prayer is two-fold: it should teach you how to pray, and it should make you want to pray. David Chotka's Power Praying succeeds brilliantly on both counts. David, using the Lord's Prayer as template, sounds that prayer's depths and, as he does so, serves up a theological and biblical tour de force. But this is no mere theological treatise: in all and through all, David's sheer enthusiasm for praying, and his many stories of prayer in action, leave you hungering and thirsting for God, His righteousness, and His Kingdom. There is joy and beauty here to make broken bones dance."

Available at multiple online outlets and Christian bookstores, but the study guide and a sample week are available at prayershop.org.
Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven and Earth

Dutch Sheets

Regal Books

can purchase at amazon.com or many Christian bookstores and web sites

This is a great resource on prayer and can be used for personal growth and study, and can be a great book for training and educating people on prayer.

RSS

Visit These Partners in Prayer

Prayer Directory Sites

Workshop Video

Impacting Cities & Communities thru Prayer

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Pray.Network Curator/Coordinator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service