September 2011 Newsletter
It’s a beautiful September in Southern California and yet there are so many hurting people here needing our prayers. We want to remind you that you are making an eternal difference by praying for the people, the projects and the powerful influence of Hollywood and we look forward to your prayers this month…
• Praise God for the fabulous Sept. 8th Quarterly HPN Prayer and Praise night
• Oct. 6th is the first ever, collaborative friend/fund raiser with other ministries
• Let’s pray for Justin Bieber, and his girlfriend Selena Gomez
• Pray for Steve Jobs, who just resigned as CEO of Apple in August
• The Toronto International Film Festival, or TIFF, opened this year on Sept. 8th
• Pray for the damage that runaway production has caused our industry
• Let’s pray for the new 2011-2012 TV season that starts this week
• HPN offers “REMOTE PRAYER STICKERS” to put on your remotes
• Start praying for the people involved in the 2012 Academy Awards
• Pray for Melissa and Jessica, who are on the writing staff of "Hawaii Five-0"
• Please pray for change in the way the press and the public treat celebrities
• Pray for the recipients of The HUMANITAS awards tomorrow
• 63rd annual Emmy Awards, 9/18
• Pray for the authors of “The Cat Lover's Devotional”
• APU has announced the opening of the new Galileo Studio
• Praise God for the fabulous Sept. 8th Quarterly HPN Prayer and Praise night. We partnered with Radiance International, a new 24/7 prayer room in Hollywood and focused our prayers on industry families with professional kids. It was awesome. The prayer was powerful and we heard back that it was life-changing for so many. There is even a new group coming out of that evening, connecting the Christian families on a more regular basis. Thank you for your prayers and keep praising God for all that He’s doing here!
• Oct. 6th is the first ever, collaborative friend/fund raiser for three Hollywood ministries. Would you continue to join us in praying that the Lord will use it to expand our vision, build our team of volunteers and donors, and that it will bring more strength and unity to our community.
• In our ongoing commitment to pray for Justin Bieber, this month let’s pray for him and Selena Gomez and their relationship! Justin is 17 and Selena is 19 and we want to ask the Lord to give them wisdom and discernment in all of their choices.
• Let’s pray for Steve Jobs, who just resigned as CEO of Apple on August 24th, due to his struggle with pancreatic cancer. Steve was born to an unwed mother and adopted by Clara and Paul Jobs in 1955. He was a college dropout when he founded Apple. By the age of 25, Steve had Apple go public and he became an instant millionaire. Now, 31 years later, his successor Tim Cook, who has stepped in for Jobs during his past leave of absences, takes the helm. Let’s ask the Lord to bring both men closer to Him as Steve battles cancer and Tim steps into leadership at Apple; the company that has more available cash than our Federal Government!
• The Toronto International Film Festival, or TIFF, opened this year on Sept. 8th and runs 10 days, through 9/18. Many of our leading American stars, directors, producers and film executives are there to promote their films, try to get distribution or connect with other filmmakers with the hope of work! Would you pray that God will be present at the event venues, in conversations and that He will guide the decisions that are being made? These decisions will all impact our future movie-going experiences. The Festival’s mission statement is “To transform the way people see the world.” Shouldn’t followers of Christ have that mission statement? For more info go HERE.
• Pray for the damage that runaway production has caused on our film industry and the LA based filmmakers. Runaway production is a term for film and TV productions that have been shot overseas, instead of in America, in order to save money. America, and especially Los Angeles, have lost millions of dollars of income, location fees, production costs and jobs in the past decades, because of the need to cut production expenses by shooting overseas. Would you pray that we can begin to start re-building our American and Los Angeles productions so that more of our local community can earn a living again in their area of expertise? For more info. on Runaway Production, click HERE.
• Let’s pray for the new 2011-2012 TV season that starts this week. This year let’s look at the new line-up of shows as an opportunity to pray into the lives of all of the people involved with each series and movie, on each network, both in front of and behind the camera. These people need the power, wisdom and love of the Lord and most of them don’t know it. Our prayers can make an eternal difference in their lives, their relationships and their work. For a list of the new TV schedule, click HERE.
• HPN offers “REMOTE PRAYER STICKERS” that can be stuck on the front of your TV Remote. It’s a reminder to pray for the people on the shows that you’re watching as you channel surf or turn ON and OFF your TV. Let us send you a free sticker by emailing Caren@hpnemail.org so that you can join us in praying remotely for the TV professionals. Click HERE to learn more about our Remote Prayer Stickers.
• Please start praying for the people involved in the 2012 Academy Awards (On Feb. 26, ’12). Our industry is revving up with more screenings and publicity for the films that they hope will be nominated for an Oscar. And just recently Eddie Murphy was chosen to host this year’s televised ceremony. Would you pray for Eddie, that he can be transformed from the inside out, to reflect the love, hope, peace, purity and salvation of God as he prepares for this huge event. For more info on the event click HERE.
• Pray for two HPN members, Melissa and Jessica, who are on the writing staff of the hit TV series, "Hawaii Five-0." Pray for them to be salt and light, to be incredible writers, friends, co-workers, and ambassadors for Christ, as they use their gifts and talents as staff writers. Hawaii Five-0 returns Monday, Sept. 19 at 10/9c on CBS. Click HERE for more info on this season of Hawaii Five-O.
• Please pray for change in the way the press and the public treat celebrities. We, at HPN, want to honor the people here, regardless of their status, fame, money, beliefs or success. May we be the first ones to not exploit, gossip about or judge anyone in Hollywood, especially the celebrities who have the most difficult lives. Here is an exploitive news blurb that broke our hearts: "After J. Lo and Marc Anthony's super split (a new term we've coined for major celebrity breakups ), we've all been waiting breathlessly (breathlessly!) to see who Jenny from the Block would ensnare next." May we not join the insensitive buzz about an entertainment star, but pray for them instead, as God’s children who feel deeply. J.Lo and Marc are hurting, broken and wanting privacy like the rest of us do during painful experiences. May we pray for them, and ask the Lord to do a miraculous work in their hearts as He protects them from stabs from the press.
• Pray for the recipients of The HUMANITAS awards tomorrow, 9/16. The Humanitas Prize was created 37 years ago to honor television and film writers for telling stories which truly and deeply explore the human experience in a way that both entertains and enlightens. It is one of the secular awards ceremonies that has a heart of goodness, truth and inspiration. Let’s pray for this year’s winners, that the award encourages them to continue to seek truth and beauty in their work and lives.
• Pray for the winners, losers and all involved, behind the scenes and in front of the camera in this Sunday's Primetime 63rd annual Emmy Awards, 9/18. The Awards program will air live on FOX TV from the Nokia Theatre LA LIVE. This
year's awards are hosted by Jane Lynch, from GLEE! and it involves everyone connected with Primetime Television. What a great opportunity to pray for all of the stars, directors, writers, producers, crew and staff of the world's most watched medium - Television. Would you ask the Lord to touch these people's hearts and lives in a miraculous way and they they will all experience His love, joy, peace, healing, hope and salvation. For more info on the show, click HERE.
REQUESTS FROM HPN MEMBERS:
• Three writers and friends of HPN, Marion Wells, Connie Fleishauer, and Dottie Adams have found a nitch with their new book, “The Cat Lover's Devotional,” in bringing the truth of the Gospel to people through stories of their pets. They have asked us to pray for them. Would you pray that the Lord will use them to move readers closer to Jesus who read this Devotional. God uses the arts in so many creative ways. For more info click HERE.
• HPN member Barbara asked us to pray for her as she launches the Galileo Studio at Azusa Pacific University. APU has announced the opening of the new Galileo Studio - a production facility in Azusa that is run by believers and available for production. Let’s pray that this soundstage and green screen room can bring in people from all over the industry and that they will be treated with love, respect from servant hearts. For more information check out - http://www.apu.edu/clas/galileofilmstudio/
• Be sure to sign up to donate to HPN automatically as you shop at Ralphs. Just register at www.ralphs.com, click on “Services”, then “Community Contributions”, then “Enroll.” Be sure to type in Hollywood Prayer Network as the Organization Name that you want to support! Thanks so much for supporting HPN as you food shop! It will only take a minute to register and we all win!
• If you’re new in town, be sure to come the Hollywood Connect Navigation Session, on Sept. 24th, that welcomes new Christian professionals into Hollywood. Get insight into our industry, meet people, get help in navigating your life and work in Hollywood while receiving prayer! For more information or to register, click HERE.
• For other upcoming events in our industry for our community, click HERE.
Thanks for praying with us,
Karen and Caren
TIP OF THE MONTH:
Reflections on 9/11 as an artist, by Mako Fujimura. Click HERE.
QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
“Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue.” ~Eugene O'Neill
“We need more glue.” ~Jack Perry
LAST MONTH”S WINNING QUOTE OF THE MONTH (From HPN’s Twitter and Facebook): Have you seen the bumper sticker "Honk if you love Jesus. Text if you want to meet him"? Anonymous
VERSE OF THE MONTH:
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.” Psalm 46:1-3
TWITTER OR FACEBOOK US!