Impacting Cities & Communities thru Prayer
A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities
Hollywood Prayer Network
April 2011 Newsletter
Dear HPN members!
HAPPY EASTER! April is the month in 2011 for celebrating the glorious Resurrection of our Lord! Let’s invite our friends and family, no matter what they believe, to join us as we gather this Easter. It’s the perfect day to reach out to all those people around us who may have no plans next Sunday. Have a joyful time together! Let’s also pray for the people in entertainment community who have no idea what this day means. May God bring Christians to them to explain why it’s such an incredible time of year!
• HPN praises God for His faithfulness and for supplying our daily bread!
• Continue to pray for Charlie Sheen
• Continue to pray for Justin Bieber
• Pray for the 64th annual Cannes Film Festival coming up this May
• We thank God for the many Christians He has placed here as salt and light
• The television Execs are headed toward the annual UPFRONTS this month
• HPN wants our pray-ers to understand how destructive “celebrity” can be
• Pray for the new Christians who come into town to pursue a career
• Please pray for the Christians who are working successfully in the industry
• We are thankful for Bernie, in Illinois, who supports our passion
• Sign up with RALPHS Grocery Store so that they will donate 2% to HPN
• Join the Christian community on Thurs., May 5th for the National Day of Prayer
• Check us out on Facebook and become our Friend!
• We praise God for His faithfulness. It has been the driest financial time for HPN in 10 years. And yet, we know that God is faithful and will continue to be so. We just received a miraculous donation from a dear friend. God chose to supply this for us, in the perfect time, and the perfect amount for that moment. We should never question His provision, His timing or His intimate care for us! Let’s keep praying for more miracles where only God can get the glory!
• Continue to pray for Charlie Sheen, as he travels the country doing press interviews, and live shows about his life. He is a broken man who needs the love and protection of the Lord, not a platform to discuss his brokenness. Let’s ask God to work a miracle in his life, to surround him with solid believers who can help him find truth, love and for protection from those who take advantage of his vulnerability. Please pray as you read this article.
• Continue to pray for Justin Bieber, whose mom, Pattie, is so thankful for our prayers. He has been getting some trouble from the press lately and they are feeling the pressure of being in the limelight as they travel through the Holy Land. (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/justin-bieber-says-besieged-paparazzi-isra...) Justin is only 17 and needs our prayers to stay on course and in the palm of the Lord’s loving and wise hand. To hear Pattie’s heart for prayer, click HERE: At the bottom of that page find our Twitter Link and tweet a prayer for Justin!
• Pray for the 64th annual Cannes Film Festival coming up this May 11 – 22nd in Cannes France. It is one of the world’s largest International Film Festivals and is attended by some of America’s most known film professionals. There are often Christians there who have a heart to reach out to those film stars who are often unapproachable here in Hollywood. Let’s pray for the hearts of the people attending, for the Lord to touch those who win and lose awards, and for the atmosphere to be full of the love of Jesus. For more information on the event click HERE.
• We thank God for the many Christians He has placed as salt and light throughout our industry. There are more committed believers in Hollywood than anyone outside our community realizes. So be encouraged and thank God with us for all He is doing here. We praise God this month for our friend Glen Keane, a Disney animator who has impacted every one of us through his work in creating Ariel, Tarzan, Pocahontas, Aladdin, The Beast and Rapunzel, to name only a few. He is a loving, generous Christian man who is a powerful example of Jesus in the workplace. Read this recent article on Glen in Christianity Today.
• The television Execs are headed toward the annual UPFRONTS this month: All the major networks are preparing for their meetings in NYC May 15 – 19th, where most of the major program sponsorship decisions for the new Fall TV season will be made. The UPFRONTS are when networks announce their new primetime schedules in a live show, including clips, sometimes extravagant musical numbers, comedic scenes and appearances by TV stars. The purpose for this event is to allow marketers, or sponsors, to buy commercial airtime “up front,” or several months before the TV season begins. Pray for the decisions made and for the decision-makers to have wisdom during this time. To read more about UPFRONTS click HERE.
• HPN wants our pray-ers to understand how destructive “celebrity” can be for most people. It is a curse more than a blessing. We don’t want to judge celebrities for their choices, but instead we want to pray that the Lord will protect them as they try to live a life of no privacy, full of gossip, pressure from fans, and excess that is hard to handle. We ask that you pray this month for the women who have won “Best Actress” Academy Awards, for they often find that their personal lives fall apart soon after winning their Oscar. For an interesting perspective click HERE.
• Pray for the new Christians who come into town to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and soon question whether they are meant to be here, if they have the talent needed to break in, or if it is even God’s desire for them to be here at all. What does a Christian do when they think they’ve been “called” to Hollywood, but nothing is working out? That’s a tough question that hundreds of people are asking every day as they try to pay their rent. Would you pray for the Christians to have wisdom to know what God’s BEST plan is for them? Click HERE to get a writer’s perspective.
• Please pray for Christians who are working successfully in the industry, and also standing strong in their faith. They have their own struggles that give them unique challenges. Let’s pray that they can balance their work with their personal lives and ministry, and be eternally effective in all areas. One person, our friend Mako Fujimura, is an artist in New York City and he is having not only an impact in the culture, but also in the lives of the people around him as he lives his life as a father, husband, artist, minister and friend. Click HEREto learn more about Mako as you pray for him and for other professionals like him.
FROM HPN MEMBERS:
• We are thankful for Bernie, from Illinois, who has graciously posted an article stating our passion for more men to be intercessors through our HPN “I to I” Prayer Partnership Program (http://hollywoodprayernetwork.org/new/I-to-I). We would love to have you read Bernie’s support of HPN and his desire to have more men who will pray and provide encouragement to more male Christian leaders in our community. HEREis the link to “MEN WANTED…”:
OPPORTUNITIES TO GIVE:
• HPN is officially partnering with RALPHS Grocery Store. They have graciously agreed to donate 2% of any participant’s total grocery bill to our ministry – at NO cost to you. Please sign up with Ralphs (which includes Kroger and Foodforless) in order to have them donate to us. This is a great way to help us raise funds, just by food shopping. We'd love to have you register. Just click on the Ralphs website HERE then scroll down to PARTICIPANT and click on “ENROLL” to sign up. You can either get a Ralphs card (which gives you discounts every time you shop) or just connect the HPN account to your existing Ralphs Card and you will automatically donate a minimum of 2% of your purchases to HPN! We would SOOOO appreciate your support. Our ministry is listed either by our title: Hollywood Prayer Network, or by our Ralph's Org. #: 92945. You will also benefit through the Ralphs discounts the card provides. Thank you so much for helping us. We deeply appreciate your effort to take this step of support.
• Check us out on Facebook and become our Friend! Click here and let us know who you’re praying for in the global entertainment industry: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2252979785
• HPN’s friend and member Sandra Lord hosts the popular, award-winning Hollywood Networking Breakfast on the last Thurs. of every month. Sandra has been faithfully connecting industry professionals and providing access to top Hollywood players through her breakfasts for over 17 years. Join them on April 28th at: http://www.changingimagesinamerica.org/hnindex.htm
• Come join the Christian community on Thursday night, May 5th for the National Day of Prayer. Find a gathering in your area or if you’re in the Hollywood area, come to Bel Air Presbyterian Church at 7:30 – 9pm for a wonderful celebration of our nation, our state, our city and the entertainment industry. For more info click HERE.
• If you want to go through one of Act One's summer training programs (Writing, Producing) you need to get in touch with them ASAP, as the deadline is fast approaching. Act One is entering it's 13th summer of top-notch training programs for Christians desiring to work in the mainstream entertainment industry. Check them out at www.actoneprogram.com, or contact them at email@example.com or 323-464-0815.
• Arts & Entertainment Ministries is now accepting applications for their upcoming A&E Institute, equipping artists and creative professionals to think, live and create from a Christian worldview. To find out more, click HERE.
• For a list of other events happening in the Christian community, click HERE
Thanks so much for praying and keep praising God during this Easter season!
Karen and Caren
TIP OF THE MONTH:
Even secular Grammy winners believe that they were “called” into this industry and get very spiritual about their careers. We’re all hungry for God and we want His approval. Click on “God at the Grammys: The Chosen Ones"
QUOTE OF THE MONTH in honor of her passing:
It is strange that the years teach us patience; that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting. ~Elizabeth Taylor
VERSE OF THE MONTH in honor of the National Day of Prayer:
“I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:2