Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

This discussion will post prayer alerts and resources for the Persecuted Church in 2017.  In the past, I've posted my own prayers using Open Doors resources, but this year I'm going to focus on posting the resources themselves and hopefully equipping many to pray.  Primary source material for this discussion will come from Open Doors, including the World Watch List, monthly Prayer Force Alert calendars, and prayer news items.  Additional resources will be drawn from Voice of the Martyrs and International Christian Concern.

Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. -- Hebrews 13:3

Here are a few key links to help you pray for the Persecuted Church:

World Watch List (Open Doors)

Prayer Updates (Open Doors)

Monthly Prayer Calendar (Open Doors)

Prayer News (Voice of the Martyrs)

Prayer News (International Christian Concern)

Views: 562

Replies to This Discussion

Sep. 08: Harun’s Secret Faith Triggers Family Suspicions

Last week we reported that Harun* (19), a new believer in Indonesia, was facing a difficult trial. After having turned to Christ only a month earlier, his father found his Bible, burned it, and then locked Harun in their home to face questioning from his extended family about his new faith.

As usual, he was asked if he has become a Christian. Harun answered that he is still a Muslim. Later, he said to his mentor, “I had to reply to them that way to reduce my father’s and the family’s anger. But in my heart, I continue to believe in Christ.” His father, however, continued to lock Harun at home and kept him from going to school.

Pray for Harun as he learns how to remain faithful to Christ in these difficult circumstances. In certain places in Indonesia, leaving Islam and converting to Christianity can threaten one’s life. Therefore, new believers sometimes declare that they are still Muslim, even though they believe in Jesus. They continue to wear the veil, maintain Islam on their identity card, and/or go to the mosque until they are spiritually strong enough to reveal their true beliefs.

*Not his real name.

Father, we do pray today for Harun as he struggles to know how to step through the difficulties of living for Christ in a world set against him, set against Christ. Wash away any shame that remains from claiming he was still a Muslim. Increase his faith and strengthen him to stand strong in these difficult times. Holy Spirit, we ask You give him words to speak as he talks to his father, words that will diffuse his father’s anger without compromising his faith. We also pray for his mentor and for other Christians in the community who must keep a distance to help keep Harun safe. And we pray for Harun’s father and family that they will come to see the presence of Christ in him and turn in faith to Jesus, who is enthroned in glory. It is in the name of Jesus whom we serve, Amen.

Operation World: Indonesia

Click the link above or the maps below for Operation World's "Pray Today" page for Indonesia.

WWL #47: Mauritania

Leader: Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz
Government: Republic
Population: 3.9 million (Thousands of Christians)
Main Religion: Islam
Persecution Level: High
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism

Mauritania is self-proclaimed Islamic Republic and has been under military rule for more than 30 years, with only a short democratic interruption in 2007. The country is formally a multiparty democracy, but its parliament is completely dominated by the ruling party. There are several Islamist groups that are active in the political scene in the country. Ethnicity is also an important factor in Mauritania’s politics. Mauritania is one of the world’s poorest countries. Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) has been a challenge to the Mauritanian government since 2005.

Prayer Points for Mauritania

• Since there are so few believers, Christians often feel isolated. Pray for their strength.
  • Pray for the level of poverty in the area.
  • Pray for those seeking to know more about Christ.

Operation World: Mauritania

WWL #48: Bahrain

Leader: King Hamad ibn Isa Al Khalifa
Government: Constitutional monarchy
Population: 1.3 million (188,500 Christians)
Main Religion: Islam
Persecution Level: High
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/ dictatorial paranoia

The rulers of this Gulf State have managed to consolidate their powers through repressive means. This mainly Shia-Islamic country is relatively tolerant in general because of its international position in banking and trade. A considerable number of expatriate/migrant Christians (mainly from South Asia) work and live in Bahrain and are relatively free to practice their faith in private places of worship, but proselytizing Muslims is illegal. The constitutional provision regarding religious freedom is full of contradictions. On the one hand, it provides for religious freedom, and on the other hand, it states that the practice of freedom of religion should not violate established customs, public policy or public morals. In the reporting period, the king donated land for the construction of a second Coptic church

Prayer Points for Bahrain

• Pray for wisdom as Christians strive to share the gospel with their neighbors.
  • Pray for those who have been shunned from their families and communities for Christ.
  • Pray that believers from Muslim backgrounds would grow daily in knowledge of their Savior.

RSS

START HERE TO . . .

Add a photo?  

Reply to a discussion?  

Blog an insight?

Post an event?

Watch (and pray) a video

Join a group?

Invite my friends/class/?

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

Videos