Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

The Global Prayer Digest is a daily devotional encouraging prayer for Unreached Peoples.  A ministry of Frontier Ventures (formerly the US Center for World Mission), this devotional is available as a daily subscription from the GPD website (see link above). 

Keith Carey, the editor-in-chief of the Global Prayer Digest, has graciously given me permission to post their daily devotions here in order to encourage more prayer for the Unreached Peoples.  Please join in the prayer for the gospel to go to the ends of the earth (Matthew 24:14).  If you find these devotions helpful, you can subscribe to their daily e-mail or to the printed publication - or just check them out here on Pray.Network!  Past monthly issues of the GPD are also available on their site.

Views: 1021

Replies to This Discussion

Nov. 05: Marwari-Khadali Meghwal People

Sikandra overheard a missionary talking about a strange new God; he was intrigued and wanted to know more. He accepted Christ and boldly won his extended family to the savior. His own people, the Marwari Khadali, rejected him. How could someone leave the gods of their fathers and accept this foreign God? They would not listen to him. As we taught him each week we shared the authority he had through Christ and encouraged him that prayer was the key. God would make a way for him to share.

It was harvest time and everyone except the elderly and the very young were in the fields cutting wheat. By God’s providence, Sikandar was not in the fields. The village homes of mud walls and thatched roofs were close together and in the middle were two large stacks of kindling wood. A man walking through the village dropped his lighted cigarette near the kindling. The fire roared through the village consuming trees and jumping from rooftop to rooftop. Children and the elderly were screaming. Seeing the devastation, Sikandar was overwhelmed by the impossible situation. He simply raised his arms and yelled, “Jesus, stop this fire!” The fire stopped immediately – leaving half burned roofs. People came from miles to see this and Sikandar was able to share with them about a God who could do the impossible.

Pray for a Disciple-Making Movement to spread like wildfire throughout Marwari Khadali communities.

Mark 6:12-13, NLV

Then they left. They preached that men should be sorry for their sins and turn from them. They put out many demons. They poured oil on many people that were sick and healed them.

Pray for many new disciples to be empowered by faith and the Holy Spirit to emerge among the Marwari Khadali people this year.

Nov. 06: Vagari (Vahg-aree) People

Though the sunrise was beautiful that morning, we were greatly saddened. Many from the Vagari tribe near Karachi were worshipping the sun. They said that they had been taught that it was right to worship it for it had great power over us and gave life to everything on earth. I had to admit that was right, but I asked the question, “Who made the sun? It did not just happen, but the sun was created.” They did not have an answer for that.

We later found out that the Vagari men exchange their wives, using them as pawns for sexual pleasure. How could we, as visitors, teach them about what Christ has taught us through His word? They are a needy but spiritually responsive tribe who need follow up teaching and fellowship to grow in the ways of Jesus Christ.

There are 20,000 Vagaris, and the only believers are from one family. That family invited us to come, and they led us and others in worship. We preached about Jesus and sang songs about our savior.

Pray that this family will lovingly teach others the way of the One who created the sun they worship, the same God who gave Jesus to die to pay for their sins. Pray for many from the Vagari people to learn about Him and disciple others so that they can live life to the full, just as Jesus offered.

Deut 4:19, NLV

Be careful not to lift up your eyes toward heaven and see the sun and moon and stars, all the things of heaven, and be pulled away and worship them and serve them. The Lord your God has given these things to all the nations under the whole heavens.

Pray for the Vagari people to have a healthy fear of the living God that will cause them to worship Him alone.

Nov. 07: Sindhi Meghwals

Khatu was a strikingly beautiful woman, and her husband was one of the Sindhi Meghwal tribal leaders. In spite of outward beauty, she was oppressed by all the demonic spirits and beliefs that Satan had brought into her early life. She had only heard of gods of hate, wrath, and death. I often shared Christ with her husband, but culture dictated that I could not talk to her.

Yet she sometimes followed me from village to village, so one day I asked her why. She replied, “Because I want to hear about the love of Jesus again.” Later in the conversation I asked if she believed Jesus is real. “Oh yes. He is the most powerful. I have seen Him perform miracles in answer to your prayers.” I asked if she was ready to accept Jesus. Tears ran down my face when she answered, “I am a woman. I do not have a soul.” Lots of teaching followed sharing how much Jesus loved her, a woman. With tears streaming down her face, she cried out, “Jesus, if you have given me a soul, please come right into the middle of me. I want to accept you.”

Rescued from Satan’s lies, she was the first woman believer among her rejected and lost people, the Sindhi Meghwals.

Pray that the Holy Spirit will touch the hearts of many men and especially women among this people group this decade.

Jn 4:28-30, NLV

The woman left her water jar and went into the town. She said to the men, “Come and see a Man who told me everything I ever did! Can this be the Christ?” They went out of town and came to Him.

Pray for Pakistani Hindu women, who are taught that they don’t matter. May they be bold to risk everything to share the Savior after they meet Him.

Nov. 08: Parkari Kohli People

The Roman Catholics have concentrated their evangelistic efforts on the Parkari Kohlis and have a girls’ boarding school in Pakistan for them. They have been quite successful and have a growing church.

One Protestant Parkari evangelist, Megh Raj, worked in Badin. His teenage daughter attended our Protestant boarding school in Hyderabad, Pakistan. She had been named “Rubbish” in Parkari in an attempt to fool evil spirits into believing that she was not valuable. Much to her parent’s alarm she gradually lost her ability to walk. Medical testing revealed that she had an inoperable cancerous cyst in her spine. The family moved to a small village close to our mission hospital. Her first wish was to be baptized and change her name to Maryam, the mother of Jesus. She steadily grew in spirit.

We contacted Joni Ericsson who provided her with a wheelchair and wrote encouraging letters to her. As Maryam grew weaker, she pleaded with her father, “Please take me with you to visit all our non-Christian relatives so we can urge them to believe in Jesus!” Maryam had the joy of sharing her faith until she peacefully went to be with Jesus.

There are about 500 believers among the Parkari Kohlis; pray that the Lord will raise up many of them to joyfully go to their neighbors and share what the Lord can do for them.

Jer 9:23-24, NIV

This is what the Lord says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord.

Pray that many from the Parkari Kohli people will put their identity and trust in the Lord, and Him alone!

Nov. 09: Khadali Marwari Bhils

Rana and Sita were trophies of God’s grace! As youths living in the northern Sindh Province they came to saving faith in Christ. As is customary they were given Christian names and known to us as Timotheus and Martha. Although described geographically as Khadali, they were of the sub tribe of Jhaktia (Timotheus) and Lirieani (Martha). It is a strong cultural tradition for marriage arrangements always to be made with a girl of a different sub tribe, yet always within the framework of the main tribe, in this case, the Marwari Bhils. There are some 40 sub tribes of Marwari Bhils. The vast majority of Marwari Bhil believers are from the Lieriea, Jhaktia or Malkhat sub castes. We need to pray for believers from all 40 sub tribes.

Rana Timotheus was one of the first to come to faith. He learned skills as a bricklayer, which is unusual for a Marwari. He and Martha regularly received teaching as we visited them in their village home. They moved to a settlement in southern Punjab. With a deep love for the Lord and desire to serve, they were asked to serve as hostel parents to care for Marwari boys who were chosen to attend a local Christian school. Latter in retirement Timotheus served as a village church pastor near Daharki.

Thank the Lord for those Marwari Bhils willing to serve Him! Pray for a Disciple-Making Movement among every Marwari Bhil sub tribe.

Is 60:17, NLV

I will exchange your bronze for gold, your iron for silver, your wood for bronze, and your stones for iron. I will make peace your leader and righteousness your ruler.

May this be our prayer for the Khadali Marwari Bhils today!

RSS

START HERE TO . . .

Add a photo?  

Reply to a discussion?  

Blog an insight?

Post an event?

Watch (and pray) a video

Join a group?

Invite my friends/class/?

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

Videos