Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

I have been tasked with building an Intercessors Prayer List for my church.  I knew exactly where to come and whom to ask for help with this task.  Thank you in advance for sharing.

Please pray and ask God for guidance then share what He gives you with others here in this discussion.

Views: 371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow what great response and such awesome suggestions. 

Church Background: Our church was once a large church in a neighborhood of Houston that has undergone a change. The neighborhood has increased in the amount of crime and drugs. The church began to die but still maintains all of the facilities and staff .  They just recently began two services and have had an increase in membership. 

These are signs that God is doing a work in our church and neighborhood.

I believe that we can be a vessel of love, spread the gospel and be a viable asset to the community we are in.  But the people we are reaching out to are not the "pretty" people. They are the lost, hurting, angry and yes even at times hostile.  But that is nothing for our God to whom nothing is impossible. 

When I visited the church for the first time I asked in my spirit, where are the intercessors.  When the pastor came to visit I found out that they do not have intercessory prayer groups or really any form of established prayer support.  They are currently working on forming some small groups and I have offered to host a prayer group in my home and to help the church by building up a solid group of intercessors.  Of course all of this is under God's guidance and direction. 

Thanks so much for sharing

Exactly the people God wants us to include in our churches.  God is working in miraculous ways.  Your email is so encouraging to me.

I learned that blessing the church can change the atmosphere of the place.  The anointing in the sanctuary comes from the Grace of God, which comes from faith, which comes from prayer, which comes from some Christian flapping his lips in that space! 

Here's a way to do that: http://orderofsaintpatrick.org/service-blessing.htm

You need to clean up any anti-Christian influence in the neighborhood.  Here's how to do that:

http://orderofsaintpatrick.org/warfare/drive-by-praying.htm

These people need to grieve down the damage done in their lives. Here's how to do that:

http://orderofsaintpatrick.org/relations/trauma-aid.htm

Here's an unusual sermon on this topic: http://coe22.com/sermon/hold-fast-week-3-pastor-joby-martin/

Secrets to Service Intercession

Are you having as much trouble getting people to commit to weekly service intercession as I am? I think it is because we are asking people

•  to bring two cars (if the spouse is not involved),

•  to leave the children in child care an extra hour,

•  to invest a lot more time on the weekends, and

•  to be involved in one of the most draining ministries in the church.

Over the past six years I have been leading five or six service intercession services a week in two megachurches in the Phoenix area. After a while some principles began to crystallize that have made these times easier and more fulfilling.

1) Always Have Two Hooks in the Water. Assign a theme for each service in which you are praying. That way you attract people who have a heart for the topic (missions or our nation, for example) as well as those who are passionate simply for intercession. Right now these are the topics of our six services intercessions: the nation, the lost friends and family members of those who attend our church, health issues, missions and missionaries, families and family issues, and the prayer ministry in our church.

2) Purification and Praise. Begin your time of prayer with a period of repentance and then praise. Good prayer cannot flow from any spot where evil has not been dealt with. Praise is the doorway into the throne room of God and the factory that manufactures faith and boldness. We noticed major improvements in the prayer sessions when repentance and praise took on their rightful place and priority.

3) Give God Control. Another key is to ask the Lord to direct your time of prayer. There are times, even though we have a theme and a pattern, when God causes us to hit on something, and we can tell we are touching heaven. It may or may not be related to a theme or plan, but it is of the Lord, and all else stops that hour as we go with it.

4) Use One Pattern for All of the Services. Ours looks like this:

a)   Repentance

b)   Praise

c)   Intercession for the people in the pews, all the facets of the service, and the children’s activities

e)   The theme for the hour

f)   Personal requests at the end as time allows

5) Stay on Theme. Probably the hardest piece of service intercession is teaching people to pray corporately. Most churches have given up on corporate prayer. Many have no background in corporate prayer, or they did it poorly 20 years ago and never want to do it again. I try continually to teach principles on corporate prayer at each service intercession time. Here are the points I regularly repeat:

a)   Pray loud enough to be heard.

b)   Pray short.

c)   Pray on subject.

c)   Don’t preach.

d)   Don’t develop another dialect to pray in; use your normal speech.

e)   Pray to God, not to the others in the room.

f)   Wait your turn.

6) Save Requests Till the End. We usually ask if anyone has any special personal requests that we need to be praying for. I thank all the participants for their openness and quickly remind them—teach them—that this time is about others. If we have time at the end, we pray for these personal needs, but if not, we pray for them during the week on our own.

7) Ask New People to Join the Team. Our involvement pastor did a survey recently and determined that the best method we have of recruiting people to a ministry is their being invited by someone already happily serving in the ministry. We have found that to be true in the prayer ministry. Also, be aware that I seldom find people who are natural prayer warriors. Most don’t even know they like to pray. I just invite people to join me once and let God do the rest. Many do it once and are hooked.

8) Invite Special Guests. If one of our missionaries is in town, I invite him or her to join in our 9:30 a.m. service intercession for our missionaries. It helps the participants pray more passionately for the missionaries and helps the missionaries feel connected to the church. 

9) Make the Room Nice. Our prayer rooms are some of the nicest on our campus. They are that way intentionally. We have a map of the world, photos of our missionaries and their families, and quality furnishings. Using a room unsuited for service intercession or poorly furnished could subtly communicate that what we are doing has little value.

We have seen some amazing results from these times of prayer. I encourage your church to start a service intercession time. It is well worth the investment.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Much of this info and much more can be found in my new book Threshold: Transformational Prayer; Transformational Prayer Leadership.

It can be purchased at this link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&f...

Here is what people are saying about the book:

“Paul is an innovative leader in the prayer world who leads prayer ministry on five campuses weekly. You will find the ideas in Threshold: Transformational Prayer, Transformational Prayer Leadership helpful, practical, insightful and—most important—reproducible.”

—Mark Batterson, New York Times best-selling author of The Circle Maker

“What is the biggest component missing from the church these days? Vision? Passion? Commitment? Nope! What’s missing most is prayer! Prayer is something most of us believe in far beyond our practice. For the past ten years Paul Covert has led our church to become passionate about praying. Not talking about praying, but praying. On this subject Paul is both an expert and a champion. If you want your prayer life to light up and to ignite your church in prayer, this book is a must-read. Far more than mere theory, this book will give you the practical steps that will lead to genuine transformation.”

—Cal Jernigan, Senior Pastor of Central Christian Church of Arizona

“What would happen if the church became the prayer force that God designed it to be? We would see explosive change as the power of heaven invaded the circumstances of earth. Paul Covert offers us a guide that is both practical and reverent. Everything in it flows from his years of experience. I hear it all the time: ‘How can I get my congregation, or Sunday School class, or small group to understand and practice prayer?’ This is what you have been asking for.”

—Jennifer Kennedy Dean, Executive Director of The Praying Life Foundation and author of Live a Praying Life

“I am an idea person. I like to go to seminars and read books that give me good ideas on how to pastor and lead better. If I read a book and it provides me with a couple of good, new ideas, I consider the book well worth the money spent to buy it and the time taken to read it. I have never read a book on any subject that had as many really good and creative ideas as this book does. It will probably take the rest of my life to implement all the great ideas I gleaned from this super book on prayer.”

—Dee Duke, Senior Pastor of Jefferson Baptist Church in Jefferson, Oregon, and author of Prayer Quest

Blessing in your search for what works for you.

Karrol--There have been some excellent suggestions in the responses--I would like to comment on one item--"Intercessor Prayer List"--there are many different types of intercessors--and those in leadership need to recognize that--IE  there are list prayers, Crisis prayers, subject focused prayers-(-praying for government, missions, outreaches)  Heart prayers, worship intercession, scripture prayers, to name a few. 

While it is good to provide lists for your intercessors, the leaders need to recognize that as intercessors grow in the Lord and praying, they often move to praying from their heart--not just mind prayingLook to ways to encourage your intercessors to praying from their heart in obedience to the Lord.  This will take some training--and intercessors need to be fed the word of God and encouraged. 

If you do this, you should see intercessors growing together, many prayers answered, more blessing coming to your church--and many in the church, in time seeking the Lord on a more personal basis.

List praying is important--but if you can encourage your intercessors to move to heart praying using the lists--you may see more happening.   Heart praying is discussed in lesson 4 of the Praying Together Course, here on Pray!Network.  That whole course may actually be a good way to offer training to your intercessors.  If you do that--please let us know as we like to hear how it has encouraged others.  The lessons of the course are now in Podcast format.

Just some thoughts. 

It could be funny for ordinary people to hear this view. I was called by God and ordered to pray. I heard the order for more than 35 times in my ears -audible voice to pray or sing this song. Miraculously I was offered a job for interceeding for an evangelistic organisation. On my jobdiscrition list the the 1st item was to create a team of intercessors for that organisation. I was alone in a room and a a chair and a table. It was challenge to me. I was paid but no other people were to be paid . I was not a boss to recruit. . God told me that He would bring His OWN intercessors. Before I left the job God had recruited 8 volontary and regular intercessors . Seek the face of God in Psalm 123 and God will suprise you.. Now I am in a church and God is doing the same thing and it will do the same for anybody...
It could be funny for ordinary people to hear this view. I was called by God and ordered to pray. I heard the order for more than 35 times in my ears -audible voice to pray or sing this song. Miraculously I was offered a job for interceeding for an evangelistic organisation. On my jobdiscrition list the the 1st item was to create a team of intercessors for that organisation. I was alone in a room and a a chair and a table. It was challenge to me. I was paid but no other people were to be paid . I was not a boss to recruit. . God told me that He would bring His OWN intercessors. Before I left the job God had recruited 8 volontary and regular intercessors . Seek the face of God in Psalm 123 and God will suprise you.. Now I am in a church and God is doing the same thing and it will do the same for anybody...

RSS

START HERE TO . . .

Add a photo  

Reply to a discussion  

Blog an insight

Post an event

Watch (and pray) a video

Join a group

Invite my friends/class/

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

Videos