Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

In 1 Thessalonians 5:17 we are exhorted to "pray without ceasing" -- HOw is that humanly possible?

Marketplace Chaplain Jim McManus offers a helpful perspective based on Paul's other uses of the original Greek term. Take a look then comment ...

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love that image, Mike. Thanks.
LOVE that song!

Joyce said:
When I read this topic, I immediately thought of the beautiful old Keith Green song (wow, did Keith have a powerful ministry or what?): ''Make my life a Prayer for You".

In every action, every thought, he longed for his life to be a prayer to God, making "praying without ceasing" attainable for all of us. Keith speaks about taking his eyes off himself and keeping them focused on God.

The lyrics are:

Make my life a prayer to You
I want to do what you want me to
No empty words and no white lies
No token prayers, no compromise.

I want to shine the light you gave
Through Your Son you sent to save us
From ourselves and our despair
It comforts me to know you're really there.

Oh, I want to thank you now, for being patient with me,
Oh, it's so hard to see when my eyes are on me,
I guess I'll have to trust and just believe what you say,
Oh, you're coming again, coming to take me away.

I want to die, and let you give
Your life to me so I might live
And share the hope you gave to me
The love that set me free,

I want to tell the world out there
You're not some fable or fairy tale
That I made up inside my head
You're God, The Son, you've risen from the dead.

Oh, I want to thank you now
For being patient with me
Oh, it's so hard to see,
When my eyes are on me.

I guess I'll have to trust
and just believe what you say
Oh, you're coming again
Coming to take me away.

I want to die and let you give,
Your life to me so I might give
I want to share the love that set me free.
I am in constant communion with the Holy Spirit who lives inside of me. My life is a prayer. But as I go through my day, I thank God for little things like sunshine and friendship. I pray for people I come in contact with and even pray after overhearing conversations. Keeping God in the forefront of my mind throughout the day, makes my life, my actions, my words a prayer to Him.
Joyce, I found a few versions of this song to play on YouTube.com, hope it's a usable link:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=keith+green+make+my+lif...
I think going about your day with worship and praise music is a way to pray without ceasing.

Joyce said:
When I read this topic, I immediately thought of the beautiful old Keith Green song (wow, did Keith have a powerful ministry or what?): ''Make my life a Prayer for You".

In every action, every thought, he longed for his life to be a prayer to God, making "praying without ceasing" attainable for all of us. Keith speaks about taking his eyes off himself and keeping them focused on God.

The lyrics are:

Make my life a prayer to You
I want to do what you want me to
No empty words and no white lies
No token prayers, no compromise.

I want to shine the light you gave
Through Your Son you sent to save us
From ourselves and our despair
It comforts me to know you're really there.

Oh, I want to thank you now, for being patient with me,
Oh, it's so hard to see when my eyes are on me,
I guess I'll have to trust and just believe what you say,
Oh, you're coming again, coming to take me away.

I want to die, and let you give
Your life to me so I might live
The love that set me free,

I want to tell the world out there
You're not some fable or fairy tale
That I made up inside my head
You're God, The Son, you've risen from the dead.

Oh, I want to thank you now
For being patient with me
Oh, it's so hard to see,
When my eyes are on me.

I guess I'll have to trust
and just believe what you say
Oh, you're coming again
Coming to take me away.

I want to die and let you give,
Your life to me so I might give
I want to share the love that set me free.
Yes it is possible...Pray without ceasing suggests a mental attitude of prayerfulness, continual personal fellowship with God, and consciousness of being in his presence throughout each day empowered by the Holy Spirit. Your thoughts, mind are engaged with the Holy Spirit and you respond accordingly! Be encouraged!
I shared some thoughts about I Thess. 5:17 last week with our worship ministry's intercessors' team. I pasted a copy below of what I shared.

I memorized this short passage back in 4th grade at SMCS. Our teacher told us that to pray without ceasing was about having an attitude of prayer. She taught me that prayer didn't have to be only at meals or when I'm having my quiet time, but that it should be an ongoing conversation of my heart with the Lord. I have recently recognized that moment as the birth of my prayer life. What a glorious thought - that since my Heavenly Father is always watching over me, and His Spirit lives inside of me, that I had a continual audience with Him! I didn't have to wait for a certain time of day, or a certain place, or any set of circumstances. It makes the idea of walking with the Lord so much easier to understand when we "get" the concept of praying without ceasing.
Here's the part that struck me this week, though, and that is how the phrase about praying anchors the 2 other thoughts about rejoicing always and giving thanks in everything. It is only by having that ongoing conversation with the Lord that makes it possible to rejoice and give thanks always in everything. If I am truly having a conversation with Him and not just complaining and grumbling at Him, that means I am also hearing from Him - without ceasing. It helps me to be aware of His plan and purpose in everything that touches my life - from the mundane things of life that drive us crazy to the huge storms that turn our world upside down, and if I am aware of His plan and purpose then I can rejoice (which means to be calmly happy) and can give thanks in all of it.
Notice, too, that it does not say to give thanks for everything. It says to give thanks in everything. I don't have to give thanks for my world falling apart, because God didn't give that to me. He allowed it, but it came from the enemy. But I can give thanks in that storm, because Jesus is in the boat with me, because I know His promises are true, because I know He will never leave me nor forsake me, and because I know that if He allowed it, then He will cause it to work for my good. Great is His faithfulness - and that is something in which we can always rejoice and give thanks!
Our biggest prayer mistake is not asking. James 4:2 tells us that"...You do not have because you do not ask."

Why not? Why don't we pray? Well, we want to do it ourselves. We don't know that we can ask. We don't believe that God will act. Praying is a fundamental act of faith; possibly the most fundamental act of faith. Praying acknowledges His sovereignty and power. It acknowledges our submission to Him. It acknowledges our relationship with Him as loved child. It demonstrates our belief that God hears us and that He will act.

John 15:17 Says "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." The word abide implies a close continuous presence. A person who prays continually will not fear or even experience more than momentary anxiety. [Philippians 4:6 "Be anxious for nothing..."] A person who prays continually will be focused on God's will. Continuous prayer is an important part of experiencing the Kingdom of God [Romans 14:17 "for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."]
Eyes open to physical surroundings, ears open to Holy Spirit's ongoing conversation, when He says "attend to that," meaning pray (whatever he instructs me to pray) regarding that (person, place, situation, etc.) - that's what I do. During my waking hours, I listen for His voice as I go about my daily chores, whether writing, reading, paying bills, or listening to news. Sometimes He is teaching, sometimes sharing information, sometimes offering comments. And sometimes He is directing me to pray a specific prayer or command a specific command. Whatever He tells me to do, I try to do it then and there. It's spending the day with your best friend, every day.
Amen and Amen!!!

Jennifer Weed said:
I shared some thoughts about I Thess. 5:17 last week with our worship ministry's intercessors' team. I pasted a copy below of what I shared.

I memorized this short passage back in 4th grade at SMCS. Our teacher told us that to pray without ceasing was about having an attitude of prayer. She taught me that prayer didn't have to be only at meals or when I'm having my quiet time, but that it should be an ongoing conversation of my heart with the Lord. I have recently recognized that moment as the birth of my prayer life. What a glorious thought - that since my Heavenly Father is always watching over me, and His Spirit lives inside of me, that I had a continual audience with Him! I didn't have to wait for a certain time of day, or a certain place, or any set of circumstances. It makes the idea of walking with the Lord so much easier to understand when we "get" the concept of praying without ceasing.
Here's the part that struck me this week, though, and that is how the phrase about praying anchors the 2 other thoughts about rejoicing always and giving thanks in everything. It is only by having that ongoing conversation with the Lord that makes it possible to rejoice and give thanks always in everything. If I am truly having a conversation with Him and not just complaining and grumbling at Him, that means I am also hearing from Him - without ceasing. It helps me to be aware of His plan and purpose in everything that touches my life - from the mundane things of life that drive us crazy to the huge storms that turn our world upside down, and if I am aware of His plan and purpose then I can rejoice (which means to be calmly happy) and can give thanks in all of it.
Notice, too, that it does not say to give thanks for everything. It says to give thanks in everything. I don't have to give thanks for my world falling apart, because God didn't give that to me. He allowed it, but it came from the enemy. But I can give thanks in that storm, because Jesus is in the boat with me, because I know His promises are true, because I know He will never leave me nor forsake me, and because I know that if He allowed it, then He will cause it to work for my good. Great is His faithfulness - and that is something in which we can always rejoice and give thanks!
We can not forget another prayer 'giant' in E.M. Bounds...

Phil Miglioratti said:
No better place to start than Brother Lawrence!

(hope the snow is melting in Cedar Rapids!)
That is beautiful!
To C.J. Keef -- I'm so glad you shared this. I've not heard of this, and I was looking for a new system to try.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Visit These Partners in Prayer

Prayer Directory Sites

Workshop Video

Impacting Cities & Communities thru Prayer

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Pray.Network Curator/Coordinator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service