Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

Prayer Discussion:

How Do You Pray

Be still, and know that I am God: Psalm 46:10

O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph. Psalm 47:1

Yeesss???  So what is your favorite way of praying?  Do you pray lists daily or only pray in emergencies; pray for your family, friends, church, pastors?  Do you pray scripture, worship music, as the Spirit leads, or just repetition?  Have you seen definite answers to your prayer?

It is not really a question of how, but rather do you pray!

But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. Deuteronomy 4:29

Give us your thoughts!

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul,

While I believe prayer is the most important thing we can do, I'm still very undisciplined when it comes to prayer. One reason is that I like to spend time in a specific place to pray alone, pacing and praying out loud. I also always try to put my prayers on the platform of a promise, as Gordon Cove called it, or pray directly from Scripture.

You asked if we have seen definite answers to prayer, and the answer is YES!

In terms of material things, I've been given a lamp and chair in direct answer to prayer. The most expensive shoes I've ever owned (a pair of Nike's) came in answer to prayer after my tennis shoes tore up shortly after moving to Hong Kong a few years ago.

Then last year, I spent months praying for $5000 to get my family back overseas. On the last Saturday night of October, I prayed late at night that God would give us $5000 by the end of the week so that I would have airplane tickets in my hands by the following Sunday. Nine hours later, our pastor took up a surprise offering for us in obedience to something God told him the previous Wednesday (that was one of those, "Before you call I will answer" kind of things). I bought the plane tickets the next day.

A few weeks later, God answered an old prayer that we had prayed for a new stroller before moving overseas. Five days before we were due to leave, we received the exact (expensive) stroller we had been praying for.

God is good!

I trust that there are people in this network who see daily answers to prayers. Please share them with us. Encourage those of us who are undisciplined, or who are just getting started in prayer.

Thanks,
Stephen
If only the world knew and understood!

Stephen Smith said:
Paul,

While I believe prayer is the most important thing we can do, I'm still very undisciplined when it comes to prayer. One reason is that I like to spend time in a specific place to pray alone, pacing and praying out loud. I also always try to put my prayers on the platform of a promise, as Gordon Cove called it, or pray directly from Scripture.

You asked if we have seen definite answers to prayer, and the answer is YES!

In terms of material things, I've been given a lamp and chair in direct answer to prayer. The most expensive shoes I've ever owned (a pair of Nike's) came in answer to prayer after my tennis shoes tore up shortly after moving to Hong Kong a few years ago.

Then last year, I spent months praying for $5000 to get my family back overseas. On the last Saturday night of October, I prayed late at night that God would give us $5000 by the end of the week so that I would have airplane tickets in my hands by the following Sunday. Nine hours later, our pastor took up a surprise offering for us in obedience to something God told him the previous Wednesday (that was one of those, "Before you call I will answer" kind of things). I bought the plane tickets the next day.

A few weeks later, God answered an old prayer that we had prayed for a new stroller before moving overseas. Five days before we were due to leave, we received the exact (expensive) stroller we had been praying for.

God is good!

I trust that there are people in this network who see daily answers to prayers. Please share them with us. Encourage those of us who are undisciplined, or who are just getting started in prayer.

Thanks,
Stephen
I like to walk and pray or just talk to Jesus about everything and everyone and submit my day to him and refresh my mind on what I learned in the Bible that morning so I wont forget, I need to remember to Praise him so much more instead of asking and pleading for myself and others,...
like I am which I believe I am taslking to Dad, my best friend, any time I chat all day, sometimes I sing a long with music it's really a moment by moment thing.
I really appreciate this thread!~ Today I realized how much I like to write out prayers in a journal, or type them to save on the computer, send via email, or post online.
Jennifer, thank you for the book recommendation!
You're welcome ,Clare! Sorry I'm just now responding. I've been out of town since Saturday. : )

Clare Gambrell said:
Jennifer, thank you for the book recommendation!
Hi Paul, I've been giving your question a lot of thought. I suppose that my favorite way of praying is Spirit led, almost conversational prayer. I just speak to Jesus as if he were sitting next to me and pour out my heart to him. It may be about someone placed upon my heart, or the condition of the world.
I do have a list that I pray from each morning during my devotional time. The list was getting so long that I finally divided it into separate lists for each day of the week with a focus on different things each day such as prayers for salvation, for missionaries, for our government leaders, friends and family members, our church, our military and business leaders.
I also journal some of my prayers when I want to ask for a specific need and have seen so many answers to prayers over the years. I can't put in words the gratitude in my heart for a God who hears and answers prayers. One from recent memory was on a snowy February morning as I was driving to work. When my car slid out of control on the snow covered highway ramp, I asked Jesus to help me. I just knew that I was going to hit a pole or my car would turn over. God heard my desperate prayer for help and I believe he sent an angel to me that morning. I ended up sideways off the ramp with my car pointed toward the ramp and I was able to just get back on as if nothing had happened. (Like I said, it's hard to put it into words).
Currently I'm praying and waiting for God's direction as I begin a new phase in my life. I lost my job a month ago and since God was the one who gave me that job, I know he's got a plan for the next one. Sometimes waiting for the answer to prayers is the hardest part.
Blessings to you!
Marsha
YES Marsha:
Conversational and as the Spirit leads - like sitting in the back yard day before yesterday watching the neighbor working on his old riding mower, he had been at it for days without success. Feeling compassion for him and asking Father to help him. An hour or so later his wife was on it mowing.

Like being in the house with your spouse, you are not always talking to Him but he is available to visit with at anytime or about anything.

Thank you Lord for the special prayer times, but thank you more for just being there continually! How else could we "pray without ceasing"?

Blessings -------------- paul

Marsha Mundy said:
Hi Paul, I've been giving your question a lot of thought. I suppose that my favorite way of praying is Spirit led, almost conversational prayer. I just speak to Jesus as if he were sitting next to me and pour out my heart to him. It may be about someone placed upon my heart, or the condition of the world.
I do have a list that I pray from each morning during my devotional time. The list was getting so long that I finally divided it into separate lists for each day of the week with a focus on different things each day such as prayers for salvation, for missionaries, for our government leaders, friends and family members, our church, our military and business leaders.
I also journal some of my prayers when I want to ask for a specific need and have seen so many answers to prayers over the years. I can't put in words the gratitude in my heart for a God who hears and answers prayers. One from recent memory was on a snowy February morning as I was driving to work. When my car slid out of control on the snow covered highway ramp, I asked Jesus to help me. I just knew that I was going to hit a pole or my car would turn over. God heard my desperate prayer for help and I believe he sent an angel to me that morning. I ended up sideways off the ramp with my car pointed toward the ramp and I was able to just get back on as if nothing had happened. (Like I said, it's hard to put it into words).
Currently I'm praying and waiting for God's direction as I begin a new phase in my life. I lost my job a month ago and since God was the one who gave me that job, I know he's got a plan for the next one. Sometimes waiting for the answer to prayers is the hardest part.
Blessings to you!
Marsha

RSS

Start a Reimagine-Journey‼️

--->Your Free Profile

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

• Add a photo  
  • Reply to a discussion  
  • Blog an insight
  • Post an event
  • Watch (and pray) a video