Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

I received permission from Jon Graf to post the daily Connection! prayer devotions on Pray.Network.  These devotions are available as a free e-mail subscription from the Harvest Prayer Ministries website at http://connection.harvestprayer.com/.

I have found these devotionals to be not only inspirational but also great equipping for my own prayer life.  There aren't many devotionals that are actually about prayer - most have a quick prayer at the end and that's about it.  But this one has prayer as its focus.  I thought others on the Network might be interested in it.  I will attempt to post each one daily - although I'll inevitably miss here and there. 

I have previously written a Spotlight blog post on the Connection! devotional; if you're interested, check it out here: http://www.pray.network/profiles/blogs/praynetwork-spotlight-connec....

I hope you enjoy and benefit from this devotional as much as I have.

--Andrew

Views: 2438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Feb. 24: The Miraculous Power of God

“The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!’” (Luke 1:5)

Maybe I personally am going through a tough time. In the midst of it, I try to pray with trust and faith, but it is difficult because I only see the issue. If I go and pray with others, however, what happens? As I listen to others pray with more faith than I have, my faith grows. Here’s how it works in a corporate situation. Let’s say our church is planning to build. I’m an elder who is skeptical of the plans because they are beyond what we can afford to do. I go and begin to pray with others regarding this. God can now put a heart of trust in me, He can bring me to unity with others, He can give me the faith to believe Him for the miraculous—His vision and plan for my church. When I only pray by myself, that is less likely to happen.

Churches that do not pray together still minister in whatever ways they can, given their resources, abilities and sacrifices. But churches that pray together begin to see the miraculous power of God at work in their midst. It goes beyond what they can and should do into what God wants to do through them.

Jehovah Jireh, teach me to pray with great hope and fill me with faith to believe that You are at work to orchestrate the best circumstances of Your will for my life and for the lives of those whom I love and care about as well as for those I will never meet this side of heaven. Give me a heart of grateful trust in Your goodness and Your mercy, for You love Your people more deeply than my human heart could ever comprehend. Show me how to continually posture myself as a dependent child seeking the heart of my compassionate, all-powerful Father.

Prayer Points

Praise God for his controlling presence everywhere. Give thanks that no circumstance in life—even death itself—is beyond his loving control. Confess your desire to act according to your own timetable rather than God’s. Commit yourself to drawing closer to God in every way and waiting patiently for him. Ask for the ability to live by faith and not by sight (2 Cor. 5:7).

Ask that members of your church family will have the humility and gentleness to consider others better than themselves. Pray that believers will not only look out for their own interests, but also for the interests of others (Phil. 2:3-4).

–Adapted from the article The Benefits of Praying Together by Jonathan Graf. Check out this powerful resource also written by Jon Graf: Praying Like Paul: Learning to Pray the Kingdom for those You Love, available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.

Feb. 25: The Elements of Powerful Prayer in Corporate Settings

“…they raised their voices together in prayer to God “(Acts 4:24).

Powerful prayer is focused prayer. It is not a shotgun approach—giving prayer requests and praying for ten different things. Effective corporate prayer is topical. The leader explains, “Now we are going to pray for . . .” We see this played out in the story of Peter’s imprisonment (Acts 12). Verse 5 tells us of a prayer meeting for Peter. Not everything under the sun, and “oh yeah, don’t forget Peter.” In the morning worship service, picking one subject for which to pray is all you need to do—and it is powerful.

Powerful prayer is one voice prayer. One voice is a numerical principle. As was mentioned above, the same chapter in Acts tells us that the church was earnestly and constantly praying to God. Everyone. Not five people in a little room on Wednesday night. A powerful dynamic occurs when an entire congregation prays on the same theme. Again, the only place you will have the entire congregation together is Sunday morning worship.

Powerful prayer invites God’s Presence. In 2 Chronicles 6-7 at the dedication of Solomon’s Temple, we see God’s glory indwelling His temple so much that everyone fell with their faces to the ground. No one went inside. In Solomon’s dedication prayer, he invited God to come and dwell. “Now therefore, arise, O LORD God, to your resting place . . .” (2 Chron. 6:41). We often just take comfort in the presence spoken of in Matthew 18:20: “Where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” But there is another presence of God—His manifest presence. It is a presence you can literally sense. It is a transforming presence. We need to look for ways to encourage that presence of God into our midst. He comes by invitation and He comes through praise. Psalm 22:3 tells us that God inhabits the praises of His people. There is no better place to regularly experience the manifest presence of God than the worship service. When we pray in the middle of, or following a time of intense worship—worship that is entirely focused upward, on Jesus Christ rather than on us—we more readily sense His presence and our prayers become more kingdom focused.

Powerful prayer occurs when there is agreement. The last element of powerful corporate prayer is praying in agreement. This is different than focus. It is where everyone knows and agrees with what they are asking God. Often when a congregation prays about an issue in a church there is not agreement. We all have a different idea of what should be done. So when we pray, we often just pray our own agendas. (Just as an aside—agreement will come in any issue if people pray together. As we pray with others, we become more open to God’s agenda and we let go of our own.) In a leader-directed prayer time during a morning worship service it is easier to be in agreement. The leader simply gives direction as to what they will ask God to do. He might say something like this, “After seeking God, the leaders of our church feel that God is moving us to look for a piece of property on which to build. Let’s ask God to reveal that piece of land to us.”

Lord, You are an incredibly Present Father! I am always amazed by the fact that You have created me to pray, and orchestrated a way that Your Spirit, living within me, intercedes through me! As I come together with other believers to pray, pour out Your power as we focus upon those things that You desire, and as we raise one voice to invite Your Presence into the midst of our prayers! As we come together in agreement, You are able to speak to our hearts as a corporate body and bring us into perfect alignment with the plans You have for us. What a mystery prayer is…I stand in awed amazement of Your grace-filled heart.

Prayer Points

Praise God for caring intimately about you. Thank God for choosing you to help fulfill his plans. Confess any self-centeredness or preoccupation with your desires and needs rather than those of God and others. Commit yourself to walking under the Spirit’s control, trusting him with the circumstances of life (Ps. 31:15). Ask for more sensitivity to the needs of others.

Pray for persons who have decided to follow false religions. Ask God to open their hearts and minds to Jesus Christ, who is the way, the truth, and the life (Jn. 14:6).

Prayer Pointer

“We ought not to tolerate for a minute the ghastly and grievous thought that God will not answer prayer. History, as manifested in Christ Jesus, demands it.” —Charles H. Spurgeon

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 48, Prayer in the Corporate Worship Service by Jonathan Graf). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Feb. 26: Food that Satisfies

“‘My food,’ said Jesus, ‘is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.    Do you not say, “Four months more and then the harvest”? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.   Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. Thus the saying “One sows and another reaps” is true.  I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor’” (John 4:34-38).

What are you eating? Food is necessary to give strength and to sustain life. When we eat the right foods, it helps keep our bodies functioning properly. Look what Jesus said is His food. What sustains Him and gives Him strength is His determination to do the will of His Father and to finish His work. He looks at the world as a great harvest field, with many souls ready to be brought into the kingdom.

When Jesus calls us into the harvest field of this world as a laborer alongside Him, He is not calling us to a job, but to a lifestyle. Our food, our sustenance, becomes the same as His. We look at our labor in the harvest not as a burden, but as our joy in doing the will of the Father.

The general teaching of the Bible is that enjoying food is good. Even the idea of fasting, giving up food for a period of prayer, implies we give up something good for something even better. Feasts are times of great joy in Scripture. Are you experiencing great joy as you eat the food Jesus is eating…and doing the will of the Father? Working in the harvest fields alongside Jesus is to be our great privilege and joy!

Oh Lord Jesus, how I thank You for the feast You have set before your people. You have given us the food of finishing the work the Father has given us to do, and I am grateful. Help me, Lord to see my labor in Your harvest fields from heaven’s perspective. Give me open eyes to see the ripe fields before me. Empower me by Your Spirit to work in Your strength and might and not in my own. Give me the wisdom to tackle the section of the field that You have assigned me and empower me so that I will not be overwhelmed by the immensity of the task. It is, after all, Your field and Your work. I’m thankful You grant me this great privilege of serving in Your fields with and alongside You.

Prayer Points

Praise God as the one who can wash every part of your life clean from the stain of sin. Thank him for offering his only Son as a sacrifice for you (Jn. 3:16). Confess those times when you have listened to Satan’s accusations of guilt even after confessing your sin to God. Commit yourself to receiving God’s forgiveness and acceptance of you with a free and joyful heart. Ask the Lord to help you see yourself through his eyes—clean, holy, and dearly loved (Eph. 1:3-8).

Pray that your love and forgiveness for your critics and opponents will attract them to the same God that you love and serve (Lk. 6:27-29, 35-36).

–Adapted from Revolution on Our Knees: 30 Days of Prayer for Neighbors and Nations by Dave and Kim Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Feb. 27: His Grace is Sufficient

God doesn’t expect us to be perfect pray-ers. He does not expect us to know what is best in every situation and to always pray in that vein. He understands our limitations. He accepts our prayers, even if they are off target, because He accepts us as His dear children.

We can be sure that God, even if He doesn’t give what we ask, will provide the grace to deal with what He allows in our lives and in the lives of those we pray for. Paul learned that when he prayed for the removal of a thorn in the flesh. God didn’t remove the thorn as Paul asked, but God didn’t say no either. He simply said, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9). The same thing may be true when we pray for others. God may not actually say no. He just says, “My grace is sufficient. I will give them the strength to deal with that situation.” And the truth is, God’s all-sufficient grace is the best answer, even better than the relief that we may be asking for. If we keep that in mind, we will always be able to joyfully accept God’s answer even if it isn’t what we asked. We will see in His answers that “his power is made perfect in weakness.”

Thank You, Father, that my prayers don’t have to be perfect in order for You to hear and respond to them! I am so grateful to be Your child, and that You care deeply about all of Your creation! Teach me to hear Your voice as You show me how to receive Your grace in every situation and season of my life. Show me how my weakness can be perfected in Your strength! May I continually be obedient to Your commands, living out the life of Jesus. Teach me to pray as Jesus prayed so that my heart will be directed more and more into perfect alignment with the purposes of the kingdom.

Prayer Points

Give praise to God as the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of knowledge (Isa. 11:2). Thank God for freely giving wisdom to all who ask and who trust him to answer (Jas. 1:5). Confess those times in the past week or month when you have relied on human wisdom rather than seeking God’s wisdom. Commit yourself to seeking God’s wisdom at all costs (Prov. 2:1-6). Ask God to show you how his wisdom is different from the world’s (Jas. 3:13-18).

Pray that your church’s leaders will be filled with wisdom as they make both public and private decisions, so that their whole lives will glorify God.

Prayer Pointer

“Prayer requires more of the heart than of the tongue.” —Adam Clarke

–Adapted from Praying God’s Heart (Prayers that Make a Difference) by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Feb. 28: Desire God’s Purposes to See Unity Grow

“I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me” (John 17:22-23).

Most people’s prayers seek the best fix for a situation. We typically pray whatever we are told to pray for a situation, with no real thought of “What does God want to do here.”  Something happens to that dynamic, however, when people pray together. They start to let go of their desires to see their purposes fulfilled and start to open themselves up to what God wants.

The value of this to a church is huge when it comes to ministry and decision making. If people pray together over an issue, even if people come to prayer thinking they know what the church should do, praying together opens them up to God’s desire.

Years ago, I was a part of a church plant in Colorado Springs that was meeting in a school. We felt the Lord leading us to purchase land. We found two pieces of property—one was very close to the school and 42 of our families, the other was five miles away. That distance was not a big deal, but it was not in the neighborhood we had been ministering in for the past five years. The property close to us cost 1.5 million, the other $450,000. Many of us felt the issue was not the difference in price, but where God wanted us. Pray, figure that out, and He will provide. There were plenty of leaders on both sides of which piece to purchase. We started praying together. We even called a corporate prayer meeting on one of the pieces of property. As we did that God began to put a vision of the ministry we could have on the $450,000 piece of property into those of us who wanted the other piece. That is what God will do when we pray together—agreement comes so we can pray His will with confidence.

People who are disgruntled with decisions a church has made usually have not prayed with the body over that issue.

Pray together and watch unity grow.

Righteous Father, how You must grieve when Your people fuss and want their own way instead of coming together to pray so that You can guide hearts toward unity. Show me how to be one who always suggests prayer over getting what I want. Give me a heart that is yielded to what You desire rather than what seems best to me. Fill me with joy in Your house of prayer as You bring our faith family together on our knees.

Prayer Points

Worship God with reverence and awe as a consuming fire blazing with holiness (Heb. 12:28-29). Give thanks for his plan to refine your faith through trials and tests (Jas. 1:2-4). Confess any times this week when you have not seen God’s purpose for you in these trials (Mal. 3:2-4). Commit yourself to submitting to God’s testing in your life. Ask God to strengthen you with his power (Eph. 6:10-11).

Pray for those who are undergoing severe testing, that God may show them his purpose and strengthen them in their weakness (Heb. 12:7-13).

–Adapted from the article The Benefits of Praying Together by Jonathan Graf. Check out this powerful resource also written by Jon Graf: Praying Like Paul: Learning to Pray the Kingdom for those You Love, available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 01: Prayer: God’s Strategy for Winning the Lost

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up” (Gal. 6:9).

What an amazing time we live in! Much of the Lord’s harvest is ripe and ready all around us and across the globe! At the same time, there are still fields that need to be sown, watered and fertilized before the harvest can be reaped! By faithfully doing good we can join the Father’s work of drawing all men to Himself. Wondrously, the best good the Lord has given us to do for anyone allows us to participate in the harvest at every level–prayer! We can pray for the lost in our own families, our neighborhoods, at school or work, and in unreached people groups living in nations that we may never have the opportunity to get into any other way! We are also privileged and commissioned to pray for all believers, whatever their needs or situations so that their lives will bring honor and glory to the Father. First Timothy 2:1-4 states that we are to pray for everyone, because this is good and pleases God, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Gracious God, Your harvest is ripe and ready all around me. Give me spiritual eyes to see by the power of Your Holy Spirit, so that I my prayers may bring glory to the kingdom of Your Son, Jesus. Draw my family, neighbors, coworkers and friends to Your heart so that their lives might be given fully to Your plans and purposes. Thank You for the privilege of prayer, and may I continually bow before Your throne in this holy effort.

Prayer Points

Praise God for His creativity. Give glory for the unending variety exhibited in His creation. Thank God for the wonderful way you have been made and for your unique personality, gifts, and talents. Confess any dissatisfaction you have had with the way you have been created. Commit yourself to serving God with your gifts and talents. Ask that God may reveal your spiritual gifts to you and give you opportunity to use them for Him.

Since “no one can come to [Christ] unless the Father…draws him” (Jn. 6:44), pray that God will draw your unsaved relatives, friends, and acquaintances (it’s best to name them) to Himself.

–By Kim Butts, author of The Praying Family (Creative Ways to Pray Together) This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 02: The Vertical Life

Life is horizontal! It is consumed with things, ideas, people, and events around us—including those things that are within us. We tend to focus on that which engages the senses, whether touch, taste, sight, sound, or smell. This is natural and normal. However, our spiritual focus is damaged and incomplete when we make life all about the horizontal (us and our “doing”) and ignore the vertical (relationship with God—our ”being”).

In a very real sense, the message of the Bible is “Look up!” There is something beyond the horizontal. What you see around you may be good or bad, but that’s not all there is. Going vertical rescues our lives from the dangers of irrelevance, self-centeredness, and terminal weariness.

Though this is true for all of life, it can be especially critical for kingdom living. Foundationally, Christians are people who have accepted Christ’s call to a vertical lifestyle. We are to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness before being concerned with the horizontal around us—allowing God to add everything else that is needed. Followers of Jesus often get so busy doing the work of the kingdom that they forget to obey the command in Hebrews to, fix our eyes on Jesus (12:2). A vertical lifestyle informs, empowers and makes our horizontal work and activity more effective, for it is Jesus-focused.

Father, You designed me for Yourself but I have satisfied myself with what I can do for You rather than being with You. Teach me how to live the vertical lifestyle of Jesus by looking up. May my work in and for the kingdom be focused on the heavenly instead of the earthly so that Your transformational work in me will flow from a life lived out in the power of Your presence.

Prayer Points

Glorify the Almighty God, who has the power to defeat your accuser and deceiver, Satan (Rev. 12:7-10). Thank God that his immeasurable power is at work within you (Eph. 3:20). Confess those times when you have tried to battle against Satan in your own strength. Commit yourself to living in God’s all-surpassing power (2 Cor. 4:7). Ask God to help you see how his power can be made perfect in your weakness (2 Cor. 12:9).

Pray for those countries that are clearly under Satan’s power, marked by cruelty, injustice, and horrible poverty. Ask God to bring his light into the darkness.

–Adapted from Vertical with Jesus: A 30-Day Journey to Impact Kingdom Living by David and Kim Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 03: Prayer: A Grace-Gift from God

“Not slothful…fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer” (Ro. 12:11-12 KJV).  

It is grace—a true gift from God—when He extends a heart-addressed invitation to us to be His partner at the dance. No one else in the room may feel that extraordinary “pull” toward prayer that you feel.  He has chosen you (for whatever reason)—don’t brush it aside!

When God invites you to partner with Him in something He wants to bring to pass, flow with the Spirit.  Don’t let that moment become a lost bit of destiny, filled with regret. The Holy Spirit is ready right at the moment you are feeling the nudge to bear witness with your spirit on an issue of monumental importance.  Don’t let it slip away. Don’t wait for a time when it’s more convenient.  When He says it’s time—go with it!

Lord, quicken my spirit to respond the moment I feel Your pull to prayer.  Let me be instant in prayer. Help me to be continually aware of Your nudging and to act upon the impulse of the Holy Spirit as He leads. Please give me a courageous, willing and obedient heart.

Prayer Points

Praise God, whose kindness toward you will last forever and ever. Thank

God for loving you with an everlasting love and drawing you with lovingkindness

(Jer. 31:3). Confess any ways in which you have not reflected that kindness to others. Commit yourself to considering God’s kindness to you (Rom. 11:22). Ask God to clothe you with compassion, kindness, and humility (Col. 3:12).

Pray that your neighborhood may see the kindness, compassion, and forgiveness of God in the way the members of your congregation treat each other and outsiders.

–By Sandra Higley, author of A Year of Prayer Events for Your Church. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 04: Prayer and the Name of God

“…and in Your Name we have come against this vast army!” (2 Chron. 14:11)

When Asa prayed in God’s name, he declared that he was coming to do battle in the authority of God.  He was not going to do this in his own strength.  In the Bible, the name of someone always means something significant.  When Abram received the promise of God, his name was changed to Abraham, signifying that he was to become the father of many nations.  Jacob’s name (deceiver) was changed to Israel (Prince of God).  God’s Name, likewise, denotes power.  Acknowledgement of God’s name is an acknowledgement of His authority and power and is a key element in any effective prayer.

As Christians, we pray in the Name of Jesus.  That’s not just a nice way of closing our prayers.  It is bringing the power and authority of Jesus into our request and situation.  We have no power before God except through the Name of Jesus.  It is not the size of the army or the opposition that matters.  In our prayer life it is not the obstacles that we face that we must look at.  It is the powerful Name of Jesus.  “Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes” (Psalm 44:5).  Asa came against the army of the Cushites in the name of the Lord:  “And in your name we have come against this vast army.”   This is reminiscent of his forefather David in his struggle against Goliath: “David said to the Philistine, ‘You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied’” (1 Samuel 17:45).

Father, I come to you in the powerful Name of Jesus. Thank you for granting me the privilege of free access into your Presence through Jesus. Teach me to depend upon you at all times for all things.

Prayer Points:

Praise God, whose incomparable riches are revealed in Christ Jesus (Eph. 2:7).

Give thanks for your inheritance that can never perish, spoil, or fade—kept in heaven for you (1 Pet. 1:4). Confess those times when you have valued material things over your inheritance in Jesus Christ. Commit yourself to appreciating daily your inheritance from God (Ps. 16:6). Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you more about what you have received through faith in Christ.

Pray that parents may be wise enough to pass on a spiritual inheritance to their children—faith in Christ—and to retell the stories of faith from grandparents and older members of the church.

–Adapted from Pray Like the King (Lessons from the Prayers of Israel’s Kings) by Dave and Kim Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 05: Your Will Be Done

“…your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10).

The kingdom of heaven and the Holy Spirit’s presence and power are connected. It is very clear from the teaching of Jesus that our Lord was intimately concerned about the coming kingdom of His Father. That is the plain sense of this second line from the Lord’s Prayer. In fact, it is striking that Jesus told us to ask for that kingdom to come—as if our prayers in this matter would make a difference. In fact, they do. There is a sense in which the kingdom of heaven is coming—there will be an end to time when all evil will be destroyed and truth will prevail. But there is another sense in which the kingdom of God is already here—by the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.  Read Acts 1:1-11 and underline all of the references to the kingdom and the Holy Spirit.

Loving Father, I am in awe of Your kingdom, which is now…and not yet. Teach me to live the grace-filled life of Your Son, Jesus Christ during my time here on this earth so that more people may hear and know that Your kingdom is real today and real for all of eternity. May Your Church be proactively leaning into the life You have given us so that the life everlasting will be filled with those from every nation, tribe, people and language.

Prayer Points
Praise God for his comfort. Thank God that he holds you close and calls you his child. Confess those times when you have rejected God’s love. Commit yourself to seeking God’s comfort through the people in the church and his Word. Ask him to deliver you from your desire to handle your pain alone.

Pray that the members of your congregation will reach out in ways which comfort those who are disheartened, discouraged, and depressed.

Prayer Pointer
“Far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you.” —1 Samuel 12:23

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 06: David’s Desire

“O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and Your glory. Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You. I will praise You as long as I live, and in Your name I will lift up my hands” (Psa. 63:1-4).

When King David wrote these words, he demonstrated why the Lord considered him to be a man after His own heart (1 Samuel 13:14). He wanted to know the Father better and more intimately. He desired God more than anything else…and, as the king, he could certainly have had anything he wanted. David’s everyday lifestyle was devoted to the passionate pursuit of God. How would your lifestyle today be different if you were as focused on seeking the Lord as earnestly as David?

O God, You are my God!  May I long to seek You every moment of every day of my life.  Help me to see You clearly, even in the dry and desperate times.  Your love is better than anything I could ever experience in this life and I desire to give You continual praise from the depths of my heart.

Prayer Points:

Praise God, who is majestic in holiness (Ex. 15:11). Give thanks for the privilege of sharing in his holiness (Heb. 12:10). Confess any impure thoughts or actions that remained unconfessed. Commit yourself anew to living the holy life that God has called you to live (1 Thess. 4:7). Ask God to impress upon you the vision of Isaiah: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory” (Isa. 6:3).

Holiness in life is mocked by much of our modern culture. Pray that this attribute of God will become an abiding characteristic of his kingdom here on earth.

–By Kim Butts, author of The Praying Family (Creative Ways to Pray Together) This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 07: Springs of Living Water

“With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. “Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water” (Jas. 3:9-13).

Jesus revealed that a spring of living water flows out of us (Jn 7:38). Then James explains that when we use our mouths to curse or condemn rather than praise, we are dumping a truckload of salt into our spring. Cursing as it is used here does not refer to profanity—it means to denounce or call something bad or harmful. Our ability to praise, worship and minister in prophetic intercession is directly affected by what comes out of our mouths.

When you start to feel dry or like things just aren’t flowing smoothly in the prayer closet, ask the Holy Spirit to check is your mouth. He will be glad to show you where the salt came from! “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God” (Eph 4:29-30). Keep the flow of the Holy Spirit alive as you minister through intercession by keeping your tongue in check. As you renounce unrighteous judgments and words that aren’t life-giving, you’ll be the vessel He looks for when He wants to accomplish something powerful through prayer!

Lord, show me where my tongue is getting me into trouble, salting the flow of life-giving water meant to minister to others.  I chose to bring my tongue into conformity so that it blesses and benefits.

Prayer Points

Pray for any persons you know who are dying spiritually. Pray for opportunities to invite them to the sumptuous wedding banquet of the king (Mt. 22:2-10).

Praise God, who fills you with rich spiritual food (Isa. 55:2). Thank God for not allowing you to go hungry for spiritual nourishment. Confess any craving you may have for things which are not spiritually satisfying (55:2). Commit yourself to daily feeding on Jesus, the living bread (Jn. 6:51). Ask God to instill in you a hunger for the Word of Life.

–By Sandra Higley, author of A Year of Prayer Events for Your Church. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

RSS

Start a Reimagine-Journey‼️

--->Your Free Profile

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

• Add a photo  
  • Reply to a discussion  
  • Blog an insight
  • Post an event
  • Watch (and pray) a video
  • Add to our Directory
  • Invite friends/class/