Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

I received permission from Jon Graf to post the daily Connection! prayer devotions on Pray.Network.  These devotions are available as a free e-mail subscription from the Harvest Prayer Ministries website at http://connection.harvestprayer.com/.

I have found these devotionals to be not only inspirational but also great equipping for my own prayer life.  There aren't many devotionals that are actually about prayer - most have a quick prayer at the end and that's about it.  But this one has prayer as its focus.  I thought others on the Network might be interested in it.  I will attempt to post each one daily - although I'll inevitably miss here and there. 

I have previously written a Spotlight blog post on the Connection! devotional; if you're interested, check it out here: http://www.pray.network/profiles/blogs/praynetwork-spotlight-connec....

I hope you enjoy and benefit from this devotional as much as I have.

--Andrew

Views: 1862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

July 01: Our Omniscient, Omnipotent God

Ah Lord GOD! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for You” (Jeremiah 32:17).

Because God is everywhere all of the time, it is then possible to understand that He is omniscient. He knows everything. This attribute of God makes prayer exciting. He not only knows every detail of our lives, but He knows the deep hurts and needs of the billions of inhabitants on this earth. As we focus on God and His omniscience, we can pray with a new confidence. When we do not understand life’s circumstances, we can rest assured that He does. That is why Proverbs 1:7 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.”

God knows everything, but we only know and understand in part. But when we focus on the omniscience of God and revere Him, we then begin to know and understand life. We will be able to pray effectively when we recognize that only He knows and understands everything.

God not only knows everything all of the time in every place, but He also is all-powerful. He is omnipotent and sovereign. When Jesus was placed in a tomb after His death, the demons wanted to keep Him there. But the Father raised the Son from the dead. And Jesus said to His disciples before ascending to heaven, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations” (Matthew 28:18–19).

Powerful praying and powerful witnessing are a result of having seen God in His sovereign reign. Power and authority do not belong to the United States or China. Power and authority belong to God. No government can stop the move of the Spirit of God. Laws can be passed, and the gospel can be forbidden, but the followers of Jesus can cross borders and liberate the captives through their prayers. There is nothing too difficult for God.

Omniscient, Omnipotent Lord, You are in control of the earth You created! Surely there is nothing too difficult for You to accomplish! Increase my faith to believe in Your ability to overcome the darkest circumstance, or the bleakest situation in my life, in my family, my church, my city and my nation! Because You know and understand everything, I am able to come before Your throne to intercede for the things that are on Your beautiful heart! Thank You for this awesome privilege for it is an amazing gift of grace!

Prayer Points

Praise God for being the God of all creation (Gen. 1:31). Thank God for the variety in his creation, in plants and animals, and especially in people (Rom. 12:4-6). Confess to him your lack of appreciation for so many of the things he has done and made (1 Tim. 4:4-5). Commit each day to the Lord, showing special appreciation for one thing in nature that you’ve not noticed in the past. Ask God to help you be more observant as you are involved in your daily activities, praising him abundantly (Ps. 135).

Pray that your appreciation of little things will help your family and friends be more appreciative of the beauty of God’s creation (Psalm 148).

–Adapted from The Prayer Factor by Sammy Tippit. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.  This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 02: The Right to Pray Comes from Grace Alone!

Psalm 65:2 describes God as, “You who hear prayer” and Psalm 77:1 confesses: “I cried out to God with my voice . . . and He gave ear to me.” That “God hears prayer,” is foundational to biblical faith (Deut. 4:7; Ps. 4:3, 34:17, 55:17; Mt. 7:7-8; 1 Pet. 3:12). Christians know this, but many secretly wonder, “Is God really listening to me?”

People often talk as if prayer is the way we get God to give us what we want. Those who think this way seek prayer promises, techniques, locations, mediators and other methods they believe will influence God or place Him under obligation. But Scripture points in virtually the opposite direction, indicating prayer, communication with the living God, is a means He uses to give us what He knows we need.

Some assume we exchange personal accomplishments for the prayer-answers we seek. People argue their piety, morality, discipline, passion, sacrifice, service, offerings and faith provide the basis by which God will listen to their prayers. Yet Scripture teaches us access to God in prayer cannot be earned (Lk. 18:9-14). Every human effort falls short: “All our righteousness is like filthy rags” (Isa. 64:6). Access to God comes only through faith in Jesus Christ: “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through Me” (Jn. 14:6). Only Jesus’ blood can secure confident access to a Holy God (1Tim. 2:5; Heb. 10:19). By God’s grace alone, received through faith alone, can we become His spiritual children (Jn. 1:12) and receive the right to pray to Him as Abba, “Dear Father” (Rom. 8:15-16; Eph. 2:14-19). Abba defines the context of Christian prayer.

Abba, I am in awe that I can come to You simply because I have become Your child, and not because I have done anything significant or important. Thank You for making a way through Jesus for me to have complete access to Your heart.  My heart is so blessed to know that when I come to You, You hear me and will answer – not always in the way I want or expect, but in the way that is for my good, and for Your glory! Dear Father, I yield myself to Your purposes! Use me in whatever way brings You the most honor!

Prayer Points

Praise God as the one worthy of the worship of our entire lives (Rom. 12:1-2). Give thanks for God’s mercy shown to you personally. Confess times of conforming to the pattern of this world. Commit yourself to the continual renewing of your mind. Ask God to be true to his promise that you will be able to test and approve what is his will.

Pray that each of God’s people will be reminded of the different gifts he or she possesses, according to the grace of God (12:6). Ask that they be further equipped through worship to use those gifts for God’s kingdom (12:7ff.).

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 31, To Whom Does God Listen? by W. Bingham Hunter). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 03: The Encouragement of Answered Prayer

One of the most important influences to seeing people pray more is the encouragement that comes from answered prayer. All too often, as individuals and churches we pray for things, but never hear what happened. We never get a chance to praise God for answered prayer, and see our faith built through remembering God’s grace and mercy. That is why it is important to look for ways to record what is being prayed for and the answers that come.

There are a number of journals that are published in which you can record petitions and note when they are answered for individuals or circumstances being faced. When we pray in general for everyone or all the missionaries it is difficult to know if our prayer has been answered or if our prayer had any part in the answer. If we believe God hears and answers our prayers then it is important to give proof to such. The way we can give proof is by writing down our specific requests and the dates they were answered. Keeping a journal of our prayer interaction with God can have a profound effect on the building of our faith and can markedly increase our excitement in prayer.

Grace-filled God, You answer prayer in so many amazing ways, large and small. Answered prayer builds my faith so much and yet so often I do not share the testimonies of what You do in my life in response to my prayers! Help me to develop the spiritual discipline of journaling so that I might be able to see You at work more fully, and so that I can share Your answers with others! May the excitement of seeing You move increase my faith and the faith of everyone around me. Yet, help me to seek Your face because of Who You are and my love for You rather than looking to “get” something from You. Guard my heart against selfish motives so that I will instead proclaim Your goodness and power!

Prayer Points

Praise God for meeting with his people in special ways through weekly worship services. Give thanks that you can continue to be with him today! Confess times of ignoring God during the weekdays. Commit yourself to a special time of worshiping God through personal devotions each day this week. Ask the Lord to remind you of his presence throughout this day.

Pray that unsaved persons around the world will see that brilliant witness of Christian leaders and glorify God. Ask God to shine clearly and consistently through you in your sphere of influence.

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 30, Prayer Journals/Diaries by Gary Waller). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

**An excellent prayer journal is The Pray! Prayer Journal by Dean Ridings.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 04: Prayers for Our Nation

On this 4th of July we offer prayers of hope for our troubled nation:

Help us Lord, in the midst of the confusion of our days. In a badly fractured nation that has seemed to turn its back on You, it is easy to get discouraged. Today Lord, we hold on to the hope that we find in Your Word: “Surely his salvation is near those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land” (Ps. 85:9). May Your glory, and Your Presence dwell in our land! Revive Your people Lord!

Lord, it is clear that You have a destiny for a nation that goes way beyond who is elected President at any particular time. Help us to see the “big picture” in the midst of political bickering and positioning. Your Big Picture is astonishing: “All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name” (Ps.86:9).

Father, in the midst of increasing divisiveness and strife among a people who should love one another, we desperately need Your peace. Your Word tells us, “Let me hear what God the LORD will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly” (Ps. 85:8). Would You help us hear Your voice as You speak peace to us in the midst of turmoil?

“I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am give to this complaint” (Hab. 2:1). Lord, would You raise up more watchmen (and watchwomen) of prayer over this nation? We desperately need those who will keep watch in prayer, paying attention most of all to You and what You are desiring for us. And, in the midst of this contentious season, we need the assurance of Your watch care over us. In the powerful Name above all names, we ask this!

Prayer Points

Praise God verbally, saying, “Jesus is Lord” (Rom. 10:9). Thank Christ for fulfilling God’s law for you and granting you his righteousness (10:4). Confess any attempts you are still making to earn righteousness and favor with God. Commit to a lifestyle of confessing the lordship of Jesus. Ask God to remove any lingering distrust (10:11).

Pray for God’s kingdom to come and his will to be done on your part of the earth as it is in heaven. Ask that the lordship of Christ, which we confess verbally, will be applied in just and righteous actions.

–Prayers compiled by David Butts, author of Inviting God into the Process: An Election Prayer Guide. This booklet is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 05: The Sovereign Work of God

“For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose” (Philippians 2:13).

The Bible warns us against thinking that revival is something that we accomplish, through our efforts (Psalm 85; Isaiah 63:15-17; Isaiah 64; Zechariah 4:6; John 3:8; Acts 2: 7, 12).  In the final analysis, human beings cannot predict its timing, precipitate its unfolding, or preclude its appearance.  But, while we acknowledge God’s sovereign work in revival, it is important that we not use this truth as an excuse to do nothing.  God can and does use secondary means.  Often He chooses to work in grace through our prayers, Bible studies, worship, fellowship, sacraments, and daily obedience.  Like Jesus, we want to do what we see the Father doing (John 5:19).  When the Spirit of God moves us to certain actions as a precursor for revival, we must obey.  Although our action does not bring the revival, if we do not do those things He has commanded, it is doubtful we will ever see revival.

As Philippians 2:13 states above, even when we do certain activities, it is as a consequence of God’s activity in our lives.

Father, my heart longs to walk in obedience to Your purposes, and yet my flesh is sometimes so weak! Forgive my arrogance for thinking that by my effort or accomplishments I can do anything that will bring about the moving of Your hand. Help me to be sensitive to the working of Your Holy Spirit in my life and in the circumstances and lives around me so that my life will bring glory to Your kingdom!

Prayer Points

Praise God for the depth of the riches of his wisdom and knowledge (Rom.11:33). Give thanks that “from him and through him and to him are all things” (11:36). Confess times of thinking that God owes you favors or explanations (11:35). Commit yourself to thinking deeply about God until you come to the end of your ability to understand. Ask God to help you reach that point with wonder and amazement rather than doubt or cynicism (11:33-36).

Pray that God will help all believers to be students of his ways with eyes to see and minds to understand more of his caring control. Ask that God’s kingdom will soon come in fullness.

–Adapted from Revival 101: Understanding How God Ignites His Church by Dale Schlafer. This book is available at prayershop.org.

July 06: The Name and the Presence of God

Jesus not only taught the disciples to focus on the goodness and greatness of God, but He also taught them to place their focus on the purity of God. He taught them to pray, “Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name” (Matthew 6:9).

The name of God is holy because He is holy. Names had a special meaning to the ancient Hebrew people. The name of a person many times represented the character of that person.

Jesus taught that when we come into the presence of God, we enter the presence of absolute purity. We can come into His presence only by the blood of the Lamb, with clean hands and a pure heart. We must enter His presence with a sense of reverence and awe, for God is holy.

We must open the door of prayer with our focus on God. We acknowledge His goodness, greatness, and purity with praise and thanksgiving. Something supernatural transpires when we offer to Him the sacrifice of praise from our hearts. God dwells in the midst of the praises of His people. And praise quickly becomes worship.

After Jesus taught His disciples to open the door of prayer with praise, He taught them to close the door of prayer in worship. Jesus taught His disciples to end prayer with their hearts basking in the glory of God. He taught them to pray, “For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen” (Matthew 6:13).

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name! I honor You and give thanks for the precious sacrifice that allows me to have access to Your throne room!  You alone are completely good, pure and holy! That You dwell in the midst of my praise is too amazing for my mind to comprehend, and yet I trust that it is true! For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever! Amen!

Prayer Points

Praise God as the one who will soon crush Satan under your feet (Rom. 16:20). Thank him for revealing the mysteries of his salvation to you (16:25-27). Asking God to show you your sin, confess any ways in which you have been involved in causing divisions in Christ’s people or have put up obstacles that impeded the spread of his Word (16:17-18). Commit yourself to being “wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil” (16:19).

Pray for workers to go into the harvest fields of the world. Ask God to prompt his people to abundant contributions of finances, prayer, and encouragement to send these missionaries.

–Adapted from The Prayer Factor by Sammy Tippit. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 07: Using Gifts to Serve Others

“Lord, you have established peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us” (Isaiah 26:12).

What do you pride yourself on being “able to do”? Take a moment and list the things that you do well. Then, in an act of love, give them all to Christ. Submit all of your “power” to the power of Christ. Decide to use those gifts or endowments only to serve others.

Today you will encounter many a situation in which you can use your abilities to “accomplish” something. Therefore, as you are going about your necessary business, tell the Lord that this power you are using (to think, plan, organize, build, tear down, study, travel, etc.) is in submission to His purposes. Ask Him to show you how to channel the power you have received from Him into service.

Almighty God, You have given me many gifts, yet they are nothing without Your power! I submit all of my gifts to Your control today, so that You can show me how to use them to serve others.

Prayer Points

Praise God for his excellence in creation. Give thanks for the creation’s variety and splendor. Confess ways in which you have misused parts of it. Commit yourself to the proper care and use of God’s creation. Ask God to help you regard it as “clean” (Rom. 14:14), receiving it from him with thanksgiving.

Pray for sensitivity among Christians toward one another’s beliefs about food, drink, religious observances, and other discretionary matters (Romans 14), so that fellowship and caring might not be hindered. Ask God to help you to “make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification” (14:19).

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 08: The Father-Child Relationship

Jesus replied, ‘If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him’ (John 14:23).

Scripture says the context of prayer is living interpersonal relationship with God (Jn. 14:23; 15:4-11). Prayer is one aspect of our relationship with another personal being. It takes place in a setting where on-going communication deepens and enriches understanding and develops intimacy, disclosure, trust and commitment. There is far more than conversation and petition going on in such a relationship. As does any truly loving father, God “listens” to the entire life of His child. (And none of us is an only child. God cares about how we treat our spiritual brothers and sisters: Mt. 18:21-35; 1 Pet. 3:7; 1 Jn. 3:16-23.)

In this relationship, sin grieves the Holy Spirit living in every believer. And it alters the priorities of the Spirit, who motivates and guides us in praying according to the Father’s will. Living in willful disobedience, we pray selfishly, seeking our will, not God’s (Jas. 4:3). Our Lord, who loves us too much to reward our rebellious independent spirit (Num. 11:4-33 and Ps. 106:14-15 are instructional), uses the discipline of unanswered prayer to stimulate reflection, conviction and repentance, as well as longing for fellowship and desire for intimacy. When His promptings are ignored, the Spirit is “quenched” and genuine estrangement results. Although the Father-child relationship is legal, eternal and unbreakable (Jn. 10:28-29; Rom. 8:35-39), the warmth of fellowship cools, and communication becomes strained and uncomfortable. Eventually we may avoid prayer altogether. Repentance, confession, forgiveness and restitution don’t instantly “fix” the relationship and immediately “switch answers to prayer back on.” It takes time to restore fellowship and intimacy, and to rebuild trust (reflect on Num. 12:13-14). Answers to prayer will follow, in proportion to the Father’s discernment of our commitment to the relationship and the priority of His will.

Loving Father, how I long to narrow the gaps of unawareness of Your presence living in me! Forgive me for the times I am disobedient to the voice of Your Spirit and attempt to go my own way. I don’t want to be estranged from You. Show me how to turn my back on the attractiveness of a culture that would pull me away from loving You and loving others above all other things! Guard my heart from a rebellious spirit and draw me close so that our fellowship can never be broken!

Prayer Points

Praise God as the one who again has supplied you with all you have needed this week. Thank him for putting some of his resources into your care. Confess any waste or mismanagement of those resources this week. Commit yourself to sharing with God’s people who are in need (Rom. 12:13). Ask God to bring to mind the name of someone with whom he would have you share by showing hospitality (12:13).

Pray that your children and those of your friends learn principles of Christian stewardship from an early age. Ask God to make you an excellent example for them.

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 31, To Whom Does God Listen? by W. Bingham Hunter). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.  This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 09: The Submission of Jesus

“My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as you will” (Matthew 26:39).

Jesus’ power was released through submission. If we say “yours is the power” we mean “ours is the submission.”

There was a time when I thought that Jesus’ power was automatic. I believed that since He was the Son of God and God the Son that He could, for example, simply walk on water whenever He chose to do so; it was a settled conviction that the healing ministry of Jesus would occur whenever He chose to do so. A closer examination of the life of Christ shows that He gave up that prerogative when He entered the human stream of existence. “Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner’” (John 5:19).

This is not the only text in which this teaching is found. He repeats this a few verses later. “I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me” (John 5:30).

Certainly Jesus’ prayer at Gethsemane makes clear that, at least once, He did not instantly do everything that the Father spoke to Him. There He found Himself struggling to obey the clear will of the Father, and took time to pray it through. Three times He asked for the will of the Father to be altered. And three times He received the answer “no.” He had to choose to do the thing that the Father wanted, and the choice had to be deliberate and clear.

Gracious Lord, I am humbled by the fact that even Jesus had to pray…and even Jesus heard You say, “No.” Forgive me for getting bent out of shape when You answer my prayers, “No.”  Instead of recognizing that You always have the best interests of Your kingdom at heart, I am frustrated when I don’t get the answer I want. Show me how to align my prayers with Your purposes, and allow me to submit to Your answers with peace.

Prayer Points

Praise God for his everlasting love (Jer. 31:3), which has no end. Thank God for demonstrating his love for you by sending his Son to die in your place (Rom. 5:8). Confess any lack of love you have experienced toward God or other believers. Commit yourself to bearing the fruit of love by the power of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22). Ask God to enable you daily to “put on love” (Col. 3:14).

As you gather with other believers for worship this week, pray that “being rooted and established in love . . . [you may] grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ” (Eph. 3:17-18). Let this thought flood your mind in worship.

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.  This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 10: Approaching God in Prayer

“Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen” (1 Timothy 1:17).

How can we please God as we approach Him in prayer?

• Be simple. Flattery is not effective with God. Our God is the one being who knows us inside and out and insincerity will not work. If you are overwhelmed with love of God or gratitude or a response of praise, by all means extol God. God loves the praises of God’s people. But, faith is not magic, so simplicity is always a good rule.
  • Be familial. God is our creator, the great Parent who loves us perfectly and has bought us back at a great price. We are precious to God who is our heavenly Father. We are adopted as heirs, so, if you are a believer in Jesus, you can call God your Father, too.
  • Be respectful. “Lord,” “Sovereign God,” “Almighty One,” terms as these are all appropriate, and addressing God as completer of an action, or the giver of a gift, as Hagar did, has a biblical precedent. So, we can call God our Healer, our Divine Physician, the One who loves us, the One who caretakes us—the list seems endless.
  • Be biblical. Generational blessing of God as the One who succors the faithful, or even the One who sustains our individual family—especially when we do it by reviewing God’s great actions in Scripture—is a powerful way to honor and invoke God. If you remember the specific place where God called you to salvation, you can even identify God as the God who visited you in that place and speaks to you in all places, while ruling us all from heaven.

In all things, being simple, but sincere, familial but respectful, biblical and personal, loving and grateful are keys when addressing God.

Abba Father, how grateful I am to have been grafted into Your family, and that You desire to have a relationship with me! I will never be able to fully comprehend all that You are, but I am thankful that You love me and bring purpose into my life. It amazes me that I can share my feelings, thoughts, questions, disappointments and joys with You, and that You have sent the Holy Spirit to be my teacher. In You I live and move and have my being!  Thank You, Father!

Prayer Points

Rejoice with the prophet Isaiah, who wrote, “I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness” (Isa. 61:10). Thank God for producing such joy in your life. Confess any lack of Christian joy. Commit yourself to bearing the fruit of joy through the power of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22). Ask God to fill you with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 Pet. 1:8).

Pray for your own expression of joy in the Lord. Do unbelievers recognize it in you? Do they know the source of your joy? Ask God to make your joy genuinely contagious.

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 30, How to Address God in Prayer by William David Spencer). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 11: Hallelujah!

When the believer has acknowledged God in the beauty of His holiness, the windows of heaven are opened. True worship bursts into the heart of man. Hallelujah is the primary word of worship in the Bible. Hallelujah leaps from the lips of the man or woman of prayer every time a new thought of the goodness, greatness, and majesty of God dawns upon his or her soul.

The need of this generation is for men and women who face life with their eyes fixed on the Savior. We need an army of worshipers. Our churches, communities, and countries will be transformed by men and women who have encountered the loving, eternal, holy Father. We need a generation of prayer warriors that will rearrange their priorities and see the face of God.

Loving, eternal, Holy Father, I long to worship You in spirit and in truth. One day in Your courts is better than a lifetime in the most beautiful house on earth. Ignite Your Church, Lord, so that we are filled with passion for the sake of Your kingdom! Draw Your people into Your holy presence, and fill us with words of passionate praise. Transform us by the renewing of our minds so that every generation will saturate the earth with worshipful hallelujahs!

Prayer Points

Praise the one who came as the Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6). Thank Jesus for giving peace to his beloved ones (Jn. 14:27). Confess those times when you’ve allowed Satan to fill your soul with unrest. Commit yourself to bearing the fruit of peace by the power of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22). Ask God to guard your heart and mind today with his peace (Phil. 4:7).

Warfare, bloodshed, strife, and turmoil mar every corner of the globe these days. But the good news is that Christ came “to reconcile to himself all things . . . by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross” (Col. 1:20). Pray for all those who seek to bring Christ’s reconciliation to a restless world.

–Adapted from The Prayer Factor by Sammy Tippit. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

July 12: Standing Together in Prayer

“The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend” (Exodus 33:11).

In his book, Partners in Prayer, John Maxwell writes, “With the help of Moses’ brother Aaron and a layman named Hur, Joshua was able to be victorious against the forces that were trying to destroy God’s children. Moses was one of the greatest leaders who ever lived. He spoke to God face-to-face, as a person would speak to a friend (Ex. 33:11). Yet he still could not do it alone. Even he needed assistance and encouragement” (p. 85).

What a majestic picture! Imagine Moses, standing alone on the mountain, interceding for Israel. As he prays with hands lifted up to God, with the rod of God – the symbol of power – in his hands, Israel triumphs. But as this eighty-something-year-old prayer warrior gets tired, his hands drop, and the battle turns against Israel. In today’s culture we might say, “Well, let’s just get a younger, more vigorous leader…one capable of standing in prayer with his hands outstretched for longer periods of time. Maybe it’s time we throw a retirement party for Moses.” Fortunately for Israel, they had no such throwaway mindset.

Instead of discarding their aging leader, they prayed for him. Aaron and Hur came to the top of the mountain and together they held Moses’ arms up until the victory was secured. It is interesting to note that to hold Moses’ arms up, the two men had to also hold their own arms up. A prayer meeting was taking place, as all three held their arms up before the throne of God in prayer.

Holy One of Israel, You desire to have the same kind of relationship with me that You had with Moses and yet, I don’t fully understand the truth of this amazing reality. You sent Jesus to make this friendship possible for everyone who will seek Your face. Help me to be willing to stand on the mountain and fight the battles raging all around me and give me the awareness of the need to lift up the hands of others so that we might join together in prayer. Thank You for reminding me that the prayers of every saint, whether young or old, are heard and answered!

Prayer Points

Praise God for his patience. Thank the Lord for being patient with you and allowing you to come to repentance in Christ (2 Pet. 3:9). Confess impatience you have felt or expressed toward God or other people. Commit yourself to bearing the fruit of patience through the power of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22). Ask God to fill you with his patience.

Impatience is a hallmark of our me-first society. Pray that the church will have a softening influence, proclaiming and demonstrating a patient “Jesus-first” message. Ask that the church will be patient even in the midst of affliction (Rom. 12:12).

–Adapted from the article Lifting Up Leaders by Dave Butts, author of The Devil Goes to Church: Combating the Everyday Attacks of SatanThis book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount

RSS

START HERE TO . . .

Add a photo?  

Reply to a discussion?  

Blog an insight?

Post an event?

Watch (and pray) a video

Join a group?

Invite my friends/class/?

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

Videos