Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

I received permission from Jon Graf to post the daily Connection! prayer devotions on Pray.Network.  These devotions are available as a free e-mail subscription from the Harvest Prayer Ministries website at http://connection.harvestprayer.com/.

I have found these devotionals to be not only inspirational but also great equipping for my own prayer life.  There aren't many devotionals that are actually about prayer - most have a quick prayer at the end and that's about it.  But this one has prayer as its focus.  I thought others on the Network might be interested in it.  I will attempt to post each one daily - although I'll inevitably miss here and there. 

I have previously written a Spotlight blog post on the Connection! devotional; if you're interested, check it out here: http://www.pray.network/profiles/blogs/praynetwork-spotlight-connec....

I hope you enjoy and benefit from this devotional as much as I have.

--Andrew

Views: 1808

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Apr. 25: Prayers of Praise and Thanksgiving

“Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name” (Psalm 100:4).

Prayer is always personal even when offered in public. It is an expression of relationship between persons. Jesus’ intimate conversation with the Father often spilled over into His public life and ministry. When our lives are filled with prayer this will happen to us as well.

Praise—“I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes” (Mt. 11:25). In the middle of a sermon Jesus’ hidden dialogue with the Father is revealed when He can no longer contain the praise that is in His heart over the gracious work of the Father. True praise erupts when we have eyes to see and ears to hear the activity and voice of our Father. The personal forms of prayer lead to this public expression of passion.

Thanksgiving—“Father, I thank You that You have heard Me” (Jn. 11:41). It would be unfathomable to picture Jesus, the only Son of God, as anything but overflowing with gratitude to the Father He is so intimate with. In addition to thankfulness at meals (Jn. 6:11; Mt. 26;26), more significant was Jesus grateful responsiveness to the Father’s work and listening ear. The raising of Lazarus was in response to Jesus’ petition and even before the request was fulfilled Jesus’ gratitude was expressed, knowing that He had been heard.

Passion in prayer gives the settled assurance that we have been heard without having to see the answer enacted. It is an example of the mature faith of believing without seeing, of living by faith not by sight.

Father, my heart is filled with gratitude for Your goodness in my life!  Your praise is always on my lips for You have blessed me beyond anything I could ever think or imagine!  May I never miss an opportunity to lift up Your name as I walk by faith and not by sight.  

Prayer Points

Praise God for his great mercy. Thank God for forgiving you and bringing you back after failure and rebellion (Zech. 8:7-8). Confess times of presuming on his patience and mercy. Commit yourself to consistent obedience from a heart of gratitude for God’s forgiveness. Ask him to forgive your debts as you have forgiven your debtors, and to lead you not into temptation but to deliver you from evil.

Pray that the unsaved in your network of relationships will be won to the Prince of Peace by seeing fallen Christians restored. Ask God to show them his healing through the mending of your own life.

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 23, Jesus as a Role Model of Personal Passion in Prayer by Howard Baker). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Apr. 26: To Everything There is a Season

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven” (Ecclesiastes 3:1).

There are many reasons to make time to take a retreat from the normal routines of life.  Many people choose such times to fast and pray; however, there are also times when fasting is not indicated for our time with God.  Here are a few examples:

In times of exhaustion. When Elijah burned out from ministry he retreated to the desert to be alone with God. There, God miraculously provided him with warm bread and fresh water (1 K. 19:4-9). The Lord delights in restoring us. He does this spiritually, but also physically.

When Jesus invites you to deeper intimacy. Revelation 3:20 paints a poignant picture of a Friend knocking on the door of His loved one’s heart. Jesus longs for us invite Him into our deepest confidence to eat with us and have us eat with Him. Consider taking bread and grape juice or wine along on your prayer retreat to make the experience of this fellowship more meaningful.

In times of thanksgiving and celebration. The Hebrew feast days were times set apart for corporate prayer, worship, thanksgiving, and celebration of God’s faithfulness (e.g. The Feast of Tabernacles, Pentecost, Passover and Purim).  Similarly, there are times when we will want to retreat with the Lord to reflect on and celebrate His goodness. These are not times for deprivation.

Lord, Your Word says that there are times and seasons for all things.  Sometimes I am so weary and depleted that I simply need to rest in You placing no expectations upon myself except to be yielded.  There are other times when I desire to draw near in the intimacy of communion, and still other times when I desire to celebrate and give thanks for Your goodness and faithfulness to me!  Thank You for the creativity of life in the Spirit! 

Prayer Points

Praise God as the God of truth. Thank him for replacing the facades of your life with the substantive realities of his truth. Confess any time you’ve rejected difficult aspects of that truth for the appealing glitter of Satan’s lies. Commit yourself to honesty with God, other people, and yourself. Ask God to lead you into fuller and fuller application of his truth to your lifestyle.

Pray that such truth-oriented living will break through the lies the Deceiver has used with unsaved neighbors. Ask God to speak his truth in love to one of them through you today.

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 28, Personal Prayer Retreats by Cynthia Bezek). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Apr. 27: Forgiveness is a Kingdom Priority

“Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many” (Hebrews 12:14-15).

Forgiveness isn’t easy, but it is required.  It is more than possible to miss the grace of God. The key is connected to what it means to forgive from the deepest heart, or merely to tolerate behavior and “stuff it” until it explodes into a bitter rage. Failure to forgive leads to a growth in negative inner grief. The old saying goes “Bitter or better.”

Bitterness is nothing more than old unforgiveness. Bitterness is what grows from a seed of injustice, planted and watered in the garden of what-might-have-been. When nurtured, it brings forth fruit. This fruit, fully mature, tastes sweet at first bite, but it turns the inner being sour with a harsh and biting deep despair.

Jesus told us to forgive. More than this, He commanded us to pray for our forgiveness based on how we extend it to others! He leaves no room for yesterday’s sins and the grudges we nurse from old offenses. The kingdom is here and it means mercy! It stands for release from past wounds—suffered from those who sinned against us—based on the blood of His Son.

It is sobering to listen to the words that follow immediately after our Lord taught us to pray this prayer: “For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions” (Matthew 6:14-15, NASB).

Forgiveness is such a kingdom priority that our Lord made sure we understood this by adding an addendum to the prayer. The thrust is that if we receive mercy, we are to extend it. receiving forgiveness must grow us to become so like Christ that we extend it to others freely.

Lord, teach me to have a heart of forgiveness and to turn my back on bitterness in my thoughts, actions and speech.  Draw me towards a deep desire to demonstrate only grace and mercy to others, even when they are unkind or do damage.  May Jesus live within me so fully that there is no room for anything but His character to be seen in my life. 

Prayer Points

Praise the Lord Almighty, who allows city dwellers around the world to seek him (Zech. 8:20ff). Thank God for letting you find him. Confess times you have become indifferent and inattentive to his presence. Commit yourself to ongoing communion with him throughout the day. Ask God to regularly fill you with the joy of his salvation (Ps. 51:7-12).

Pray that God will move the hearts of national leaders throughout the world to provide open doors for the spread of God’s salvation. Ask that the kingdom of this world will become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ (Rev. 11:15) very soon!

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Apr. 28: Praise -- A Response to the Greatness and Goodness of God

“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” (Ephesians 2:10).

The greatest discovery that a person can make is found in a knowledge of why he was created. In the same way, the greatest tragedy in life is for one to live without knowing why he was created. Value and worth are directly related to purpose. A car that does not transport is worth little because it does not do that for which it was created. A pen that does not write is useless because it does not accomplish its purpose. A person that does not fulfill what he was created for is the most miserable of all people.

Loving Creator, You have had a plan and a purpose for me since before I was born, and I am grateful that you have not left me to fend for myself.  Keep my feet on Your path alone so that I will fulfill my destiny that is planted in Your heart.  Holy Spirit, give me wisdom and discernment, and help me to listen carefully to Your voice moment by moment.

Prayer Points

Praise God for the fullness of life he brings, from blessings of old age to a community filled with playing boys and girls (Zech. 8:4-5). Give thanks for your own physical and spiritual life. Confess any ways in which you regularly waste moments of your life. Commit yourself to diligent self-control. Ask the Holy Spirit to produce this part of his fruit (Gal. 5:23) in you.

Pray for someone you know who is going through especially difficult times without the comfort of God. Ask God to use you in drawing that person to himself.

–Adapted from The Prayer Factor: Adventures with a God who Hears and Answers by Sammy Tippit. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Apr. 29: Kingdom Vision Intensifies Passion in Prayer

“How great are his signs, how mighty his wonders! His kingdom is an eternal kingdom; his dominion endures from generation to generation” (Daniel 4:3).

Passion in prayer evokes kingdom-based requests.  God’s “answers” were always kingdom related; they seem to spotlight His kingdom reign over His people. God’s view of us kingdom people is not one of millions of personal mandates; according to Daniel’s revelations, kingdom people must embrace one big prophetic kingdom mandate.  Our passion in prayer must fit into the King’s prophetic game plan: “Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” (Mt. 6:10). Passion in prayer intensifies because God’s kingdom is all about something that actually happens within space and time right here in our neighborhood.

Our passion will be set ablaze when we view life with spiritual binoculars. Although the kingdoms of the world are powerful, they rise and fall according to God’s will (Daniel 2:31-43, 7:2-8, 8:1-26, 10:20-11:45); our passion in prayer will intensify as we focus on God’s triumphal kingdom crushing evil as it marches on into eternity (Daniel 2:44-45, 4:3, 7:9-27, 9:24-27, 12:1-3). In short, personal passion in prayer will inevitably inflame and enlarge our heart to envision the eternal reality of God’s manifest kingdom.

Daniel’s passion-saturated prayers exposed wicked schemes, confirmed rescue operations, affirmed God’s administration of nations, uncovered an invisible war that rages on in the heavenly realm, and clarified God’s blessing on the repentant, humble, and broken ones. But the Daniel model does come with one warning: passion in prayer can be very intense; our thoughts may become deeply troubled by some disturbing insights from God (7:15, 28). At times we may feel exhausted or sick (8:27; 10:1-2, 8-10, 15-17). But what did Daniel do? He always asked the Lord to interpret everything (7:16, 19-20; 12:8) and had enough wits about him to keep some matters to himself (7:28).

Daniel is a key model. His blameless, strategically informed humble heart was less interested in interpreting future events than it was in passionately praying in the present reality of God’s kingdom reign.

Righteous Father, Your kingdom is what I am to be about in these crucial days!  May my life have the passion and humility of Daniel as I seek to be aware of all that is around me.  Help me to correctly interpret the times in which I am living and use me for Your purposes as I yield myself completely to You.  Here I am, Lord!  Send me! 

Prayer Points

Pray that the unsaved around you will see such a difference in your God-honoring values that they will leave materialistic life-styles to take up their cross and follow Jesus. Ask God to continue the fulfillment of his promise to Abraham through you (Gen. 12:2-3).

Pray that people will be convinced of the folly of living for this world’s toys. Ask God to give his people the selfless perspective to seek first God’s kingdom and righteousness.

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 22, A Biblical Role Model of Personal Passion in Prayer by Gloria J. Wiese). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Apr. 30: Prayer as Union with the Father

Jesus did not simply pray often. He did not only pray regularly. And He did not just pray much. His was a life of constant, continuous, conscious communion with His Father. A life of passion for the Father expressed most clearly in a life of prayer. This is evident not only in the above examples of His praying, but more so in His own statements regarding this abiding life.

He spoke of His:

1) Conscious awareness of what the Father is doing—Jn. 5:19-20.

2) Constant hearing of the Father’s voice—8:28.

3) Consistent experience of the Father’s presence—8:29.

We are invited to follow Him into this life (10:10; 14:6). We can abide in His love, just as He abides in His Father’s love (15:10). We are in union with Him just as He is in union with the Father (14:20). We can hear His voice just as He heard His Father’s (10:16). This unceasing passionate prayer, this timeless Trinitarian dance extends into eternity past and eternity future. The writer of Hebrews gives us the pre-incarnation description, “Therefore, when He came into the world, He said, ‘Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, But a body You have prepared for Me’” (Heb. 10:5).

During His incarnation Jesus “offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and He was heard because of His godly fear” (5:7-8). Finally, we see that the passionate prayer of Jesus extends for all of eternity as “He always lives to make intercession” (7:25). Herein lies the most important fact of all concerning prayer: Jesus is praying for us. To pray is to join Him in His praying. To pray is to connect with His passion that has and will burn for all eternity.

Father, You desire for my life to be an unending prayer, just as Jesus’ life was one of continual communion with You.  Help me to always be aware of Your presence as I listen for Your voice.  Please give me consistent awareness of all that You are doing around me so that I might join You wherever You are at work!  May I never forget that to pray is to be connected to the passionate intercession of Jesus Christ.  This knowledge alone should fuel my desire to pray without ceasing.  Thank You Father, for the amazing privilege of prayer. 

Prayer Points

Praise God for his faithfulness in calling you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 1:9). Thank God for the privilege of being his adopted child. Confess those times when you’ve foolishly acted like an orphan rather than as one of God’s own children. Commit yourself to strengthening the fellowship you enjoy with Christ and with other Christians. Ask God to reveal to you anything that might hinder your fellowship with Christ.

Pray for a close and loving bond to grow between the members of your immediate family. Ask that this bond will be rooted only in Christ Jesus.

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 23, Jesus as a Role Model of Personal Passion in Prayer by Howard Baker). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

May 01: Kingdom-Vision Intensifies Passion in Prayer

“While I was speaking and praying, confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel and making my request to the LORD my God for his holy hill- while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice. He instructed me and said to me, “Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding. As soon as you began to pray, an answer was given, which I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed” (Daniel 9:20-23a).

Daniel’s fervency incited some stunning responses from the Lord. When Daniel prayed for “X,” instead of receiving a simple answer (like “X”), God entrusted to him spectacular truths that went beyond a mere “answer.” God’s replies were more like “XYZ” overload-type responses! The Daniel model verifies that passion in prayer does not just get results; it totally slants our perspective on life. Such a personal revolution prays from a particular angle: a kingdom-angle.

Passion in prayer evokes kingdom-based requests. God’s “answers” were always kingdom related; they seem to spotlight His kingdom reign over His people. God’s view of us kingdom people is not one of millions of personal mandates; according to Daniel’s revelations, kingdom people must embrace one big prophetic kingdom mandate. Our passion in prayer must fit into the King’s prophetic game plan: “Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” (Mt. 6:10). Passion in prayer intensifies because God’s kingdom is all about something that actually happens within space and time right here in our neighborhood.

Lord, I confess that so often my prayers are passionless and routine.  My mind struggles to stay focused and my heart sometimes wanders off into meaningless places instead of staying focused upon Your kingdom.  Help me to see with Daniel’s eyes, the glory of Your presence as I connect with You in intimate conversation.  Precious Redeemer and King, please pour out a spirit of fervent zeal within me, so that my prayers are filled with continual expectation that You will respond with power.

Prayer Points

Praise God for his holiness (Ex. 15:11). Thank him for calling you to live a life of holiness through the power of the Holy Spirit. Confess contentment with areas of your life that do not reflect God’s holiness. Commit yourself to avoiding anything that “contaminates body and spirit” (2 Cor. 7:1). Ask God to give you a daily desire to obey his command to “be holy, because I am holy” (Lev. 11:45).

Thank God for the leaders in your congregation. Ask that they would be committed to personal holiness. Pray also for their marriages and families.

–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 22, A Biblical Role Model of Personal Passion in Prayer by Gloria J. Wiese). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.  This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

May 02: Lord, Help Me to Forgive

“In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold” (Ephesians 4:26-27).

Don’t wait to forgive until you feel like forgiving; you will never get there. Feelings take time to heal after the choice to forgive is made and Satan has lost his place. Freedom is what will be gained, not a feeling.

As you pray, God may bring to mind offending people and experiences you have totally forgotten. Let Him do it even if it is painful. Remember, you are doing this for your sake; God wants you to be free. Don’t rationalize or explain the offender’s behavior.

Forgiveness is dealing with your pain and leaving the other person to God. Positive feelings will follow in time; freeing yourself from the past is the critical issue right now.

Don’t say, “Lord, please help me to forgive,” because he is already helping you. Don’t say, “Lord, I want to forgive,” because you are bypassing the hard-core choice to forgive, which is your responsibility. Stay with each person until you are sure you have dealt with all the remembered pain—what they did, how they hurt you, how they made you feel (rejected, unloved, unworthy, dirty).

Forgive these people so that you can be free in Christ. They no longer have any control over you. For each person, pray aloud:

Lord, I forgive ___________________________________ for __________________________________.

Prayer Points

Praise God for communicating with you in his inspired Word. Thank him for providing a “lamp to [your] feet and a light to [your] path” (Ps. 119:105). Confess any doubts you’ve harbored concerning the authority of God’s Word in your life. Commit yourself to treasuring the words of God more than daily bread (Job 23:12). Ask God to feed you spiritually as you look to his Word for guidance throughout this week.

Think of one specific family. Pray that this family would set aside time every day for family devotions and prayer. Ask God to make this practice a blessing in their family life.

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.  This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

May 03: Living in the Center of God’s Will

A person who lives in the center of the will of God will always disturb those outside of God’s will and purpose. An expert in Mosaic Law was greatly disturbed by the life of Jesus. He tested him with the question, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” (Matthew 22:36). When Jesus answered the lawyer, He gave us a summation of God’s purpose and plan for man. He said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment” (vv. 37–38).

Jesus continued, “A second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself”” (v. 39). Then Jesus made a phenomenal statement. He said, “On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets” (v. 40). Jesus tells us that the law and the prophets were Holy Spirit-breathed to teach us how to live. If we are to live in fulfillment of God’s purpose, then we must do two things. We must love God, and we must be an expression of his love to our fellowman.

Man was created to know and love God intimately. It is unreasonable to believe that we can love God with our whole hearts without a personal, intimate knowledge of Him. And we will never come to know Him intimately without spending personal time with Him.

Majestic Father, You created me for Yourself and so often I act like we are distant relatives.  Forgive my lack of attentiveness, and my unconcern for my brothers and sisters, whom You call me to love as I love myself.  What a selfish child I am – and yet, You still call me Your beloved.  Set my heart upon Your commands and give me a deep desire to live continually in Your presence.

Prayer Points

God sends his teaching like rain and his words like the dew (Deut. 32:2).  Praise God for being your teacher (Ps. 71:17). Thank God for the privilege of receiving his instruction through his Word. Confess any lack of attention you’ve paid to God’s teaching. Commit yourself to listening closely to what God has to say to you. Ask God to reveal himself more clearly through his Word each day.

Ask that God will shower the blessings of salvation on unsaved people in your community as they learn of Christ.

–Adapted from The Prayer Factor by Sammy Tippit. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

May 04: Living in the Present Reality of God’s Kingdom

Our passion will be set ablaze when we view life with spiritual binoculars. Although the kingdoms of the world are powerful, they rise and fall according to God’s will (Daniel 2:31-43, 7:2-8, 8:1-26, 10:20-11:45); our passion in prayer will intensify as we focus on God’s triumphal kingdom crushing evil as it marches on into eternity (Daniel 2:44-45, 4:3, 7:9-27, 9:24-27, 12:1-3). In short, personal passion in prayer will inevitably inflame and enlarge our heart to envision the eternal reality of God’s manifest kingdom.

Daniel’s passion-saturated prayers exposed wicked schemes, confirmed rescue operations, affirmed God’s administration of nations, uncovered an invisible war that rages on in the heavenly realm, and clarified God’s blessing on the repentant, humble, and broken ones. But the Daniel model does come with one warning: passion in prayer can be very intense; our thoughts may become deeply troubled by some disturbing insights from God (Daniel 7:15, 28). At times we may feel exhausted or sick (Daniel 8:27; 10:1-2, 8-10, 15-17). But what did Daniel do? He always asked the Lord to interpret everything (Daniel 7:16, 19-20; 12:8) and had enough wits about him to keep some matters to himself (Daniel 7:28).

Daniel is a key model. His blameless, strategically informed humble heart was less interested in interpreting future events than it was in passionately praying in the present reality of God’s kingdom reign.

Father, my heart longs to be in a place of total surrender, no matter what the consequences might be…but I am uncertain at times about the difficult requirements that may come with passionate prayer.  Give me the courage to be the person You have created me to be so that, like Daniel, my heart would burn with desire to know You intimately, and to fully live within the “eternal reality” of Your present kingdom! 

Prayer Points

Praise God, whose name is great among the nations (Mal. 1:11). Give thanks that the gospel has reached around the world and into your heart. Confess any sin that has hindered you from gaining a clear vision of God’s work in the world. Commit yourself to God’s plan for the gospel to be preached in the whole world (Mt. 24:14). Ask God to use you in that plan.

Boldly intercede for the work of gospel missions worldwide. Pray by name for world missionaries whom your church supports. Ask God to protect them and prosper their work.

May 05: Let Him Redeem

“But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers” (Luke 22:32).

Is there sin in your life so deep that you believe that the Lord cannot use you ever again? Confess it to the Lord right now. Ask Him by divine appointment to buy back the broken threads of your despair and to weave them into a magnificent calling that surpasses anything you could ever have imagined. Don’t say, “It’s impossible.” ask Him to redeem. Use whatever language you can. Let Him redeem.

Now ask God to call you afresh. What calling would you ask God for in your highest imagination? Dream big! Ask the Lord to work in your life again and to use your shame as a platform for His grace to be put on display forever. Ask Jesus to pray for you that your faith fail not. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.

Abba Father, sometimes I feel so unworthy of Your holy calling on my life.  Examine my heart and reveal anything that is unclean or keeping me from fulfilling the dreams I have to impact Your kingdom with my life.  Give me strength to confess and turn from those things that displease You.  Redeem me from all that holds me to evil things, to damaging habits, or to undesirable relationships.  Cleanse me from all unrighteousness and renew me from the inside out.  Call me to Your purposes once again!  In Jesus’ Name I ask this!

Prayer Points

Praise your Father as the God of gods and the Lord of kings and a revealer of mysteries (Dan. 2:47). Give thanks for the mystery of salvation through Christ, which has been revealed to you through God’s Word and Spirit (Eph. 3:3-6). Confess that there are times when you do not rely on his wisdom and insight in your daily struggles. Commit yourself to spending more time in God’s Word and prayer, seeking to understand the mystery of your life in Christ. Ask God to fill you with a spirit of wisdom and revelation (Eph. 1:17).

Pray for those you know whose minds have been blinded by the gods of this age, unable to see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ (2 Cor. 4:4).

May 06: Life Demands the Priority of Prayer

Purpose in life always dictates priorities in life. We make time for things that are important to us. We have a time to get up, go to work, eat, and go to sleep. The man that has no time for prayer is the one who says with his life that knowing God is not really all that important. He can even be busy with religious activities and miss God’s purpose for his life.

Jesus’ disciples recognized the quality of His life and wanted to learn from Him. They ate with Him, walked with Him, and listened intently to His teaching.

But there was one aspect of His life that especially challenged them. They said, “Lord, teach us to pray” (Luke 11:1). They did not ask Jesus to teach them to preach, work miracles, or heal the sick. They wanted to know how to pray. They saw the revolutionary purpose of Jesus’ life. And that life demanded the priority of prayer. Therefore, they wanted to know how to make prayer a priority in their lives.

Jesus restated to them what He had taught on the mountain. In Matthew 5–7 Jesus explains the nature of his kingdom. And He gave great priority to teaching the multitudes the importance of prayer.

Gracious Lord, I will never fully plumb the depths of prayer, but day by day I learn new things about Your character and the purposes of Your kingdom that require me to pay attention with all of my heart.  Fill me to overflowing with the desire to seek You, even in the ordinary, everyday moments of my life.  Draw me close so we may enjoy intimate fellowship together throughout all the days of my life.  Teach me to pray Lord Jesus! 

Prayer Points

Praise God, who is the source of all wealth and prosperity on earth (1 Chron. 29:12). Give thanks for all the material blessings God has given to you. Confess any occasions when you have tried to “store up for yourself treasures on earth” (Mt. 6:19). Commit yourself to remembering that wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, are a gift from God (Eccl. 5:19). Ask him to open your eyes to new opportunities to use your possessions for the benefit of others.

Pray Eph. 1:18 for any unsaved person you know, asking especially that his or her spiritual eyes will be opened to see the eternal treasure of life in Christ.

–Adapted from The Prayer Factor by Sammy Tippit. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

RSS

START HERE TO . . .

Add a photo?  

Reply to a discussion?  

Blog an insight?

Post an event?

Watch (and pray) a video

Join a group?

Invite my friends/class/?

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

Videos