Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

I received permission from Jon Graf to post the daily Connection! prayer devotions on Pray.Network.  These devotions are available as a free e-mail subscription from the Harvest Prayer Ministries website at http://connection.harvestprayer.com/.

I have found these devotionals to be not only inspirational but also great equipping for my own prayer life.  There aren't many devotionals that are actually about prayer - most have a quick prayer at the end and that's about it.  But this one has prayer as its focus.  I thought others on the Network might be interested in it.  I will attempt to post each one daily - although I'll inevitably miss here and there. 

I have previously written a Spotlight blog post on the Connection! devotional; if you're interested, check it out here: http://www.pray.network/profiles/blogs/praynetwork-spotlight-connec....

I hope you enjoy and benefit from this devotional as much as I have.

--Andrew

Views: 1041

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aug. 30: Return for the Sake of Your Servants!

Why, O LORD, do you make us wander from your ways and harden our hearts so we do not revere you? Return for the sake of your servants, the tribes that are your inheritance. Isaiah 63:17  

One of the critical steps in revival is seen in this rich verse. There had finally come an awareness that the presence of God was missing among the people of Judah. “Return!” became their cry. They realized how necessary the Lord’s presence was for their peace, prosperity, and very existence.

How aware are you of the Lord’s presence or absence? Does it even matter to you? Is the Lord’s presence seen as a nice thing to have…or have you been brought to the point of desperation where His presence is your greatest longing?

Let’s talk theology for a moment. Obviously, the omnipresent God is present. But we can walk in unawareness of His presence. For all practical purposes, in the lives of many Christians and even churches, the presence of God could be withdrawn and no one would notice. Isaiah recognized that something (Someone) was missing. Return for the sake of your servants!

Lord, I long for Your presence. I know that You have come to take up residence in me through Your Spirit, but I also know how easy it is for me to forget that. Help me to walk in continual awareness of Your presence in my life. And what I ask for myself, I ask for Your Church. Lord, forgive us for having “services” without paying attention to you. May all that we do when we gather as Your people be done in awareness of Your Divine presence. Give us hearts that continually seek Your face.

Prayer Points

Praise Jesus as the righteous one. Thank God that “you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption” (1 Cor. 1:30). Confess any desire to dabble in unrighteousness in any corner of your life. Commit yourself to hungering and thirsting for righteousness, asking God to fill you (Mt. 5:6).

Pray that the righteousness of Christ will shine through you so clearly and consistently that those around you “see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven” (5:16).

–Adapted from HeartCry for Revival devotional 2011 by David Butts, author of Prayer and the End of Days. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep. 01: Are You Desperate for His Touch?

“A large crowd followed and pressed around him. And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, ‘If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.’ Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.”

“At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, ‘Who touched my clothes?’”

“‘You see the people crowding against you,’ his disciples answered, ‘and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’”

“But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. He said to her, ‘Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering’” (Mark 5:24-34).

The woman in this story perfectly describes this principle of prayer. She was desperate for a touch from the Lord and she knew it!

“If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” Have you ever thought about how difficult it must have been for this woman, most likely weak from bleeding for so many years, to fight her way through the crowd to touch the Lord? There were so many people in the crowd that when Jesus asked his disciples who had touched him, they basically said, “Are you kidding? There are too many people around you to tell you that!” Yet this woman didn’t let anyone or anything stop her because she knew how to receive her much-needed healing!

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve pictured myself fighting my way through a crowd to touch Jesus during a particular prayer time. I often declare, “Lord, I am pushing through this crowd of fear (or lack of faith, or bitterness, or whatever is hindering me from receiving from God what I need) and I am claiming the victory! I am clinging to you, and no one or nothing is standing in my way!”

When was the last time you fought your way through the crowd to touch the Lord?

Lord Jesus, I long to get to the place in my life where I am so thirsty for you that nothing else gets in my way…not my fear, circumstances, pain or even the other people that share my life. When I am filled with joy and peace, may I still long for your holy, grace-filled touch. May I be so filled with faith that I will always trust in Your desire to move powerfully in my life as I press into Your heart. Father, please make me desperate for more of Your Son!

Prayer Points

Praise the God of peace. Thank him for making available that “peace at all times and in every way” (2 Thess. 3:16). Confess ways in which you have added to an argument or refused to let God’s peace be established between you and another person. Commit to being at peace with God and others by being both pure in heart and a peacemaker (Mt. 5:8-9). Ask God to spread the wholeness of his salvation through you.

Pray for any marriages or parent-child relationships among family and friends where God’s peace is not being experienced right now. Ask God to help you know how and when to speak, be quiet, mediate, etc.

Prayer Pointer

“Front-line prayer meetings are battle stations in which the prayer warriors themselves are changed.” —The Praying Church Sourcebook

–Adapted from Ultimate Connection: Eight Principles that will Transform Your Prayer Life by Barbara Ho. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep. 02: Don’t Get Sidetracked

“May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word” (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17).

What did Paul pray for? Encouragement and strength to keep doing good deeds and to continue speaking the truth. He did not want them to get sidetracked by thoughts that the end was near, but rather, to keep working for the kingdom.

Do you know any fellow believers who get fixated and sidetracked on spiritual issues such as the second coming. They get in a blather over theological differences and trying to prove their position is correct. Perhaps they need to be prayed for like Paul prayed for the Thessalonian church.

Father, I know how easy it is to get sidetracked into unimportant issues. I think ____________________ is struggling with that right now. You love her (or him) and have a purpose for her. I pray that You would encourage her heart to keep moving forward with Your purposes. Speak to ____________________, and reveal Your heart to her. Give her strength to move past that issue that seems to be keeping her from the spiritual things that really matter. Use ____________________ to spread good deeds and speak truth for Your kingdom’s sake. I pray this in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Prayer Points

Praise God for his indescribable love. Thank God for loving you so much that he would sacrifice his own son. Confess ways you have not been generous with your love in response. Commit to offering even your very body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God (Rom. 12:1). Ask him to help you not to be conformed to the world but to be transformed by the renewing of your mind (12:2).

Pray for believers being persecuted for righteousness. Ask God to help them remember the heavenly reward, enabling all to rejoice and be glad even in the face of insults and false accusations for the sake of Christ (Mt. 5:10-12).

–Adapted from Praying like Paul (Learning to Pray the Kingdom for Those You Love) by Jonathan Graf. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Connection is sponsored by Prayer Connect Magazine.

You may download a free issue of Prayer Connect Magazine here.

Sep. 03: Prayers of Preparation

“So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him” (2 Peter 3:14).

Peter gives us these very practical areas of preparation for the wedding of Christ and His people. This passage is one of the reasons I believe a great revival is coming for the church. A revived church is one that is consciously turning from sin in repentance and longing to be found spotless and blameless. A revived church has submitted to the lordship and authority of Christ and will be at peace with her Bridegroom.

The apostle John saw a vision of a prepared bride: “I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband” (Revelation 21:2). Is that a passion of your life yet? Are you committed to seeing the church prepared for the coming of her Bridegroom, the Lord Jesus?

Father, place a passion within me to see Your Church revived.  Begin with my life and the life of my family.  Give me a repentant heart and a deep sorrow for sin.  Fill me with a desire to be passionate about praying for the preparation of the Bride for her Bridegroom! 

Prayer Points

This week, meditate on Psalm 42 each day. Today, praise God as the one who quenches your deepest spiritual thirst (42:1-2). Thank him for being the living water in your life. Confess times in your life when you’ve passed by God’s streams of water and settled for Satan’s stale pond instead. Commit yourself to quenching your thirst in the living God alone. Ask him to meet with you in prayer today.

Pray that your own thirst for a closer relationship with God might draw others to him. Ask God to get you out of the way so that they might see Jesus clearly and drink deeply of him.

Prayer Pointer

“Whether we like it or not, asking is the rule of the kingdom.” —Charles H.Spurgeon

–Adapted from Prayer and the End of Days (Praying God’s Purposes in Troubled Times) by David Butts.  This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Pray the Word, a joint ministry of Harvest Prayer Ministries and the Evangelical Church of Bangkok . While we believe there are many ways to pray effectively, we feel that one of the most powerful tools for Christians is to pray God’s Word back to Him. The information on Pray the Word’s website will help to encourage, equip and challenge believers to regularly pray God’s Word.  You will find discipleship tools, prayer guides, resources and ideas to take you deeper into the heart of God through praying the Scriptures.

Sep. 04: Name Above All Names

“I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you.  Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name – the name you gave me – so that they may be one as we are one.  While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me.  None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. (John 17:11-12).

The prayer found in John 17 provides some clues to help us discover what the “name” is. The “name” shows up four times there (17:6, 11, 12, 26). It is inextricably intertwined around several themes: the nature of eternal life, the utter and complete unity of the Father and the Son, and the possibility and promise that Christian believers can be joined as intimately with the Father as Christ Himself was. This unity is not something that was incidental to the life of Christ. Rather it was the heartbeat of His devotion.

Our Father, Your Name is my delight.  There is unity, power, strength and glory in Your Name!  May I continually give You honor and glory as I am drawn into Your Presence.  Longing for a life of intimacy with Your Spirit, help me to continually call upon the Name above all names!  

Prayer Points

Praise God for his constant presence with you every day. Thank him for always being near you even in times of extreme difficulty (Ps. 42:3). Confess those times when you’ve doubted God’s loving presence. Commit yourself to seeking his face every morning in prayer and meditation. Ask God to go with you throughout this day.

Pray for all the leaders in your congregation: your pastor, elders, deacons, ministry heads, and others who come to mind. Pray for God’s obvious presence in their lives..

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep 05: Five Minutes or Full Commitment?

As we come before the throne of grace, we must keep in mind that we are nothing without his intervention. Our attitude has to be “Whatever, whenever, if ever, Lord.” It’s all up to God! It doesn’t matter if our request is as big as praying for the healing of a dying friend, or as seemingly small as asking for grace in a shopping adventure—we need to be humbled before an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-caring God!

I remember an incident that happened in my life more than fifteen years ago. It was Sunday morning and I was getting myself and my two sons ready for church. While I was getting dressed, I sensed the Holy Spirit calling me to spend time with him. Wanting to take enough time to look my best, I told him that I would answer his call as I drove to pick a friend up for church. That would give me fifteen minutes, which should be more than enough time to spend in prayer! I finished getting ready, started my car, and even turned off my radio. How much more committed could I be? As I waited for his sweet presence, there was an obvious deadness in the car. “Lord,” I complained, “you’ve been calling me all morning to spend time with you, and here I am! Where are you?”

The Lord spoke a word of rebuke to me that day that I will never forget. “I am the Lord! You will either put me first in your life or don’t put me at all!” I spent the next few minutes in confession as I wept before the Lord. I learned a great lesson that day about who God is! I learned how important it is to be desperate for him, really desperate.

I can’t fully describe to you how much this incident has affected my prayer life. He longs for us to be in communion and prayer with him, but this communion involves the deep understanding of our desperation and complete need for him. Once we’ve really grasped that concept in our hearts and minds, it must flow out of our prayers.

Gracious Father, I confess my lack of attentiveness to the work of Your Spirit in and around my life. I have not leaned upon You and been dependent upon You for all things and in all things. I ask for Your help to withstand the temptation to put my own agenda ahead of Your kingdom. Please give my heart a deep awareness and understanding of my great need for full fellowship with You above all else!

Prayer Points

Praise God for the privilege of coming to him in worship and praise today. Give thanks with “shouts of joy and thanksgiving” (Ps. 42:4) for God’s many benefits. Confess your occasional lack of enthusiasm in devotion. Commit yourself to “festive” times of personal worship. Ask God to meet with you on those occasions.

Ask that the devotional experiences of your family and friends will be characterized by joy. Pray that the Spirit will enliven their walk with God.

Prayer Pointer

“Prayer is a shield to the soul, a sacrifice to God, and a scourge for Satan.”

—John Bunyan

–Adapted from Ultimate Connection: Eight Principles that will Transform Your Prayer Life by Barbara Ho. This resource is available at This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep 06: How Deep Is Your Desire?

The Message states, Jesus said, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.’ This is the most important, the first on any list” (Matthew 22:37a). King David gives us perhaps the best example of one who absolutely and without question loved the Lord his God with all of his heart, soul, and mind. Dressed ceremonially for worship in a white linen ephod, David “danced before the Lord with all his might, while he and the entire house of Israel were bringing up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets” (2 Samuel 6:14–15). David loved God intensely and creatively! The Psalms also testify to the depth of his desire for the Lord. He prayed earnestly, sang, played instruments, wrote music, danced—and gave honor to God with every gift, talent, and opportunity. One has only to read Psalm 63:1–8 to see the depth of longing David had for the Father.

Jesus commanded us to love the Lord our God, and Scripture punctuates this over and over again. It has been my experience that when Scripture is repetitive, we need to pay special attention and be especially focused on obedience. Take some time to read and pray through Deuteronomy 6:5; 10:12; 11:1; 11:13; 11:22; 30:16; Joshua 22:5; 1 Corinthians 8:3; and 1 John 5:3.

Father, I come to You today filled with a deep longing for more of You than I have yet experienced in my lifetime. There is always more of You to experience…a never-ending well of love and grace to be drawn from. Yet, I waste time in my worldly pursuits and pleasures. Convict my heart of my deep need for all that You are and allow me to rest continually in Your Presence.

Prayer Points

Praise God as the one who lifts your soul up from the depths of despair and discouragement (Ps. 42:5). Thank him for being your Savior and your God. Confess those times when you’ve chosen not to allow God to wipe away the tears of distress. Commit yourself to praising God every day for his tender mercies. Ask God to keep you from becoming downcast in your soul.

Ask God to cause many around the world today to “put their hope in God” (Psalm 42:5) and thus be able to confess with believers in every land “my Savior and my God” (Psalm 42:11).

–Adapted from Encountering Jesus (Praying the Commands of Christ into Your Life) by Norval Hadley. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep. 07: Praying for Those Who Impact Your Life

We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 1:2-3)

Have you ever thought about how blessed you are by fellow believers in your life? Think of your family if they are Christians. Consider your brothers and sisters in the faith who impact you. That small group leader or Sunday school teacher who continually works to grow spiritual truth in your life. The children’s worker who tirelessly encourages your kids each week. That elder at church who always makes it a point to come over and chat with you whenever he sees you. Your pastor. People who pray for you and your family.

Have you ever thought of thanking God for them? Thanking God for their faith, love, and dedication to Him?

That’s exactly what Paul was doing with his prayer in 1 Thessalonians 1:2-3. While these were believers he was discipling, not ones who were discipling him, the principle is the same. He brought fellow believers before the throne and simply thanked God for them.

Lord Jesus, I thank You for what You are doing in _______________’s life. I am deeply blessed by ___________________ (service for the kingdom that touches you) __________ . Enable and empower him (or her) to minister effectively. Do not let him get discouraged in the trenches of ministry, but fill him with joy in serving You! Amen.

Prayer Points

Praise God as the one who protects you from life’s roaring waterfalls and waves (Ps. 42:7). Give thanks that even in the stormy times of life God is always near. Confess those times when you’ve questioned God’s presence or doubted his protection. Commit yourself to staying by his side no matter what comes your way. Ask God to lead and guide you through the stormy as well as the calm seasons of life.

Thank God for the work and witness of missionaries around the world. Pray that they will go on the wings of a praying church back home. Intercede especially for world missionaries supported by your church.

–Adapted from Praying like Paul (Learning to Pray the Kingdom for Those You Love) by Jonathan Graf. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep. 08: Bringing the Bride to the Altar

“The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’” (Revelation 22:17).

In the midst of a prayer time, I pictured in my mind’s eye a bride standing by the altar, waiting for the bridegroom. But as I continued in prayer, there came one of those sacred moments in which the Lord placed a thought in my mind and made the simple statement: “The bride is not at the altar yet.” It was a simple statement of fact, yet also a rebuke and an encouragement. The church—the bride—is not at the altar waiting for the Bridegroom. The bride is off doing a multitude of things, but very little of it concerns waiting at the altar for her Beloved. The rebuke was clear, but so was the encouragement.

It is time to bring the bride to the altar. It is time for the church to become a house of prayer. The kneeling church becomes the bride at the altar, prepared for the Bridegroom.

Lord Jesus, please come soon for Your bride. Help us to become the pure and spotless bride in every way. Show me, Lord, the things in my life that hinder the body of Christ from being all that You have called us to be. Help me to grow in love for You and in greater desire for Your appearing.

Prayer Points

Praise God for his love, which is with you both night and day (Ps. 42:8). Give thanks for the songs of praise which God brings forth from you. Confess that you sometimes don’t feel like reveling in God’s love or singing his praises. Commit yourself to living every day in the light of that love. Ask God to continue directing his love toward you.

Pray for believers in the federal governments of both the U.S. and Canada. Thank God that he has placed his people in and near the seats of highest political power. Ask that they will be enabled to make a difference because they serve the Savior.

–Adapted from Prayer and the End of Days (Praying God’s Purposes in Troubled Times) by David Butts.  This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep. 09: I Am Who I Am

“God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM.  This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you’…This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation’” (Exodus 3:14, 15b).

If we are to join Christ in praying about the name (of the Father) we must understand the nature of that name: “I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one, even as We are. While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me” (John 17:11-12, NASB).

This text makes clear that the Father has a “name.” The Father bestowed that same name on the Son, and the Son Himself, through His presence (and from the context, through the Word of truth He spoke and lived). brought the disciples into that name as well. It can be pictured as a funnel in which God’s name, I AM, is poured into who Jesus is. The I AM in who Jesus is, is then expanded out to the disciples.

Great I AM, thank You for pouring Yourself into my life so that I might pour my life into others for the sake of Your kingdom.  May I represent You well, speaking truth to those who are seeking, and demonstrating the love of Jesus to the poor, the lost, and the forsaken. 

Prayer Points

Praise God for all his many blessings to you in your life (Ps. 42:11). Thank him that he is your God and that there is nothing that can ruin your relationship with him. Confess that you don’t always feel like praising God. Commit yourself to living in hope every day. Ask God to surround you with his presence—and then respond to him with praise.

Think of a world map and pray for the harvest among the nations. Ask for breakthroughs in countries that have been particularly resistant to the gospel. Ask God to touch the lives of people in every country around the world today.

–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep. 10: That was God!

One of the main struggles we face when we pray is, as Proverbs 3:5 describes, “leaning not on our own understanding.” This is key to an effective prayer life. Our tendency is to try to figure things out ourselves and then, on the basis of that understanding, to take whatever steps we think we need to take. What we’re saying when we do this is “I am more able than God is to take care of this situation. I don’t need him!” There’s no way we can think we are better able to control our lives and at the same time really believe God is who he says he is. “I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?” (Jeremiah 32:27). Of course when things don’t work out, we often turn to him and “allow” or even beg him to intervene. When we fully acknowledge who God is, we should have no choice but to trust in him and surrender whatever situation we’re praying for into his sovereign hands!

People can disbelieve that God exists even in answered prayer. How many times have I seen the obvious hand of God in a particular situation, only to have the person involved chalk it up to good fortune or “blessed chance”? I want to scream out, “That was God! Give him the glory!”

Unfortunately, this refusal to acknowledge God’s hand working is not only true for those who don’t know the Lord in a personal way, but to those who serve and love him. Why is it so hard to see God’s hand in a situation? Maybe he provided a much-needed job, or spared you from an almost deadly car crash. This is “not believing God exists” in its simplest form. If we really believe God exists, we will see his hand working in our daily lives.

What joy and freedom this principle brings. It’s a relief to surrender my requests to a God who not only exists but who is, as the Bible states, “able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine” (Ephesians 3:20).

Holy Spirit, teach me to pay attention to the activity of God in my daily life! Help me to continually remember that nothing is too hard for my Father and that He is fully trustworthy to care for all of my needs and to be involved in all that I do. Give me a heart of gratefulness for His blessings and movement around, in and through me so that He alone receives the glory!

Prayer Points

Praise God as your mighty, protective, and loving Father. Thank him for adopting you as his own son or daughter and for making you heir to all the promises given in Scripture (Gal. 3:26-29). Confess those times you have forgotten who you are—a child of the Most High God. Commit yourself to remembering each day that you have been born into God’s family and have “clothed yourself with Christ” (3:27). Ask God to help you understand and appreciate your complete inheritance in Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:18).

Pray that the fathers you know will be able to reflect the Father’s love, compassion, and wisdom to their children, so that the entire family will grow to trust and love God.

–Adapted from Ultimate Connection: Eight Principles that will Transform Your Prayer Life by Barbara Ho. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.

Sep. 11: The Glory of God

The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.  The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God. Isaiah 35:1-2

Scripture says that the land itself pays a price for sin. In the Old Testament, droughts, destructive wars, plagues of locusts, etc. all came as a result of unrepentant sin and the withdrawal of God’s protection. As the Lord’s favor returns to His people, the land begins to blossom again. The glory of God touches all of creation.

In the New Testament, we read of the world groaning as a result of sin and eagerly anticipating the return of Jesus to bring redemption. Salvation and revival is not just a personal matter, but affects society and the physical world. How eagerly we should be praying for revival, knowing that as we “see the glory of the Lord, the splendor of our God,” we can expect amazing transformation in the world around us.

Lord, how we long to see Your glory and be changed…not just at Your return, Lord Jesus, although we long for that, but also in a great revival that may precede Your coming. How desperately the physical world around us, our human societies and structures, and our individual families and lives need the transforming touch of Your presence.

Prayer Points

Praise God as the one who holds out his arms to the world in welcoming love and invitation. Thank God for having intervened in your life to bring you to a growing knowledge of his love for you. Confess your sins of this past week, trusting in the power of Jesus’ blood to reconcile you with God. Commit yourself to becoming more aware of God’s outreaching love toward your neighbors and friends. Ask him to make you a minister of reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:18-21).

Pray for reconciliation among foreign missionaries and local ministries where leaders are at odds with each other. Ask God to unify them with a single-minded vision for his kingdom.

–Adapted from HeartCry for Revival devotional 2011 by David Butts, author of Asleep in the Land of Nod. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.      

Reply to Discussion

RSS

START HERE TO . . .

Add a photo?  Reply to a discussion?  Blog an insight? Post an event? Watch (and pray) a video? Join a group? Invite my friends/class/?

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

Partners in Prayer

Visit  

LOVE2020.COM

Pray

...right here, right now

Follow  @MakeLoveYourAim

Videos

• Add Videos

Workshop Video

Impacting Cities & Communities thru Prayer